• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harry lucas school

NoddKD

master brummie
Reading of this school has reminded me of the after school club that was run a couple of times a week. I recall table tennis being played in a room to the rear left of the stage and cricket played outside. Can't recall any names but I did enjoy going there.

Just an afterthought, I also paraded there on Friday evenings with the 1st A Boys Brigade.
Happy days.:):)

NoddKD the nostalgic.

Tristyboy

Brummie babby
Well he was slightly younger than i remember , no soon as i sent my message i realised that maybe he still may be around . Glad to hear that . He will remember various teachers .. mr watson the history teacher . Mr williams the geography teacher . Mr blenkinsop the french teacher who i think married miss kerr . Mr jones the art teacher and mr walker the headmaster . Where does mr cole now live ? . I also have tinnitus for my sins

He moved to Ramsgate in '65 and has lived here ever since.

Tristyboy

Brummie babby
Where did he teach after harry lucas up toll his retirement . Where was he living when he taught at harry lucas ? I was always curious how far my teachers travelled

He's worked all over the place... firstly St.Augustines school here in Ramsgate. Then as a lecturer at Nonington College, and Christ Church University Canterbury. He's written lots and performed all over the country. His Music is performed all over the world now. :)

If anyone has any funny stories or memories of him, I am trying to put together a bit of a history to help us all through the Alzheimers.

thanks you :)

Brotherphil

proper brummie kid
My grandad Tony Gardner remembers him, he didn’t know he was working in the hospital and he was working round the corner from him. He said they were good mates and was sad to hear of his passing
Hi, my grandad attended this school and he believes that he left in 67 but isn’t sure. He was in the football team as a goalkeeper and his name is Tony Gardner. Please tell me if you have any photos or any friends if you remember him!
I knew a Tony Gardner,he lived in Guildford street and went to Alma street school until July ‘65.
unfortunately I have no photo’s of him as we couldn’t afford cameras in those days,but I do remember that he was a good kid.

Ash brown

Brummie babby
Hi, my grandad attended this school and he believes that he left in 67 but isn’t sure. He was in the football team as a goalkeeper and his name is Tony Gardner. Please tell me if you have any photos or any friends if you remember him!
Hi Teresa I remember you grandfather.He used to have a part time job after school in th jewellery quarter .When he decided to finish he introduced me and I worked there until I left schoolMy name is John Brown.Tell your grandfather I am still in touch with Dennis Evans Paul Halliburton and Ricki Wechter

Enel

master brummie
Fascinating. I don’t remember the tower either, and I had supposed that the new block to the front of the school was added later, when the school became Harry Lucas. There’s also some sort of building that divides the school yard, which I think must have gone by the time I started. My own memories of my time there are rather hazy now. I guess I didn’t take time to study the architecture that much!

Michael_Ingram

gone but not forgotten
The new block was there in the 40s when I was there. Looking at the layout, I guess as we were small then and where the tower is, tucked in the middle, we wouldn’t have noticed it

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Aerial view of the school dated 1950
View attachment 157118
fantastic shot OM..so many memories of walking back home to villa st after visiting our nan in paddington st..the building on the corner with a couple of cars parked outside was i believe part of lucas..the little ledges along the bottom were sloped and everytime i went past i would run up and down them..the building to the left of the tree is friends hall and is still there so is the little building to the right of it..has to be the best shot of the school i have ever seen

lyn

Michael_Ingram

gone but not forgotten
You are right Lyn, the first good photo of the area that I have seen (the second one too oldMohawk and great to see the whole park. And Wow!! I always ran up and down those slopes too

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
You are right Lyn, the first good photo of the area that I have seen (the second one too oldMohawk and great to see the whole park. And Wow!! I always ran up and down those slopes too
i cant believe you also ran up those slopes as well mike...it was something i had to do everytime i passed...what memories they bring back

lyn

trevor bow

master brummie
another great shot of burbury st park and area...running along the top of the park is i believe gordon st and i can now clearly see the white building of the fountain pub to the left of friends hall
These are such great photos. I went to the school when it was known as 'Burbury Street Junior Infant School' and I started there as a little 'un aged just 4 years and 6 months at the beginning of the spring term in January 1951. There was also a nursery on the same site for children aged 2 and a half to 4. My teacher was Miss Butterfield who I believe eventually left to teach in South Africa.

I don't remember that building either that divides the front playground, although it could have been the girls' toilet block. The boys' toilets can be seen to the right of the main building against the wall in the infants' playground. As us older members will recall, all house's 'lavs' used to be outside with more than one family using each one !

It's strange because I can't remember that tower either, which doesn't have a clock btw. I wonder what was in it, and if you could go up it ? Further up Bridge St West to the left can be seen an Atkinsons pub called the 'The Wellington' and it was on the corner of Wellesley St and BSW. It was my father's local (Billy Bow) and my mother used to moan at him that he spent so much time there, it's a wonder he wasn't given a rent book. Sadly, the landlord of this pub gassed himself after money was missing from the till.

We lived right next door to St Saviours church in BSW, down an alleyway called 'Cottage Row' and it's just off the photo to the left. Other teachers I remember are Mr Berry, Mr Sheldon, and the headmaster Mr Margerison. We often played in 'Burbury Street Recreation Ground' as it was called back then and it seemed massive. As someone has also remarked though, everything seems bigger when you're a child.

I went to have a look not so long back and the detached park keeper's house all on its own is still there. If you look very carefully, there are two square pillars which would have been the metal gates to the park I would have thought. There were metal railings around the whole perimeter of the ground, but these would have been removed during the war as metal was very short. Well those two pillars are also still there, but they have been rebuilt with modern bricks with the original Victorian capping stones on top.

oldMohawk

master brummie
On a late sunny afternoon in 1948 a photo was taken from high altitude over this area. The Villa Cross Cinema is near top centre, Lucas Factory in the centre, and Soho Hill just visible top left. It can be saved in a computer or tablet and enlarged. Not sure where to post it but the Burbury St/Harry Lucas School is in the view so I put it here. It can be copied and moved elsewhere if required. left click and then magnify button to zoom and scroll
Hockley_Lozells_Area1948.jpg
image from 'britainfromabove' website

Last edited:

Mayfield

Burbury Brummie
Lovely photo - I can see my house in Defford Road which was opposite the main entrance of the park. Mabz