• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harry Evans - Clarendon Street area 1915 - 1920

ET55

proper brummie kid
Aware could be a sensitive issue, but any help welcome. Any information re a Harry Evans: he was a "regular visitor" to Nellie Walker at number 38 Clarendon Street from around 1915 to 1920. He was named in a divorce petition, that failed through lack of evidence in 1922. Outcome was separation of my Granny from family, and her brother becoming a Home Child to Canada. No recriminations sought, only answers before too late for a 94 year old affected.

Are there anymore details for Harry, tricky with just a name and a fairly common one.

There are 8 or 9 listings for a Harry Evans in the Aston district on the 1921 census and he could have lived further away.

One of the Harry Evans b1878 (so of a similar age) is listed at 129 Park Lane in 1921 though with a wife and daughter. 129 would have only been a street away (4 houses past Parliament St).

Could just be a coincidence though.

What was the name under which her brother became a Home child in Canada, and have you a date ?
The Forum has a thread on the Middlemore Homes.

What was the name under which her brother became a Home child in Canada, and have you a date ?
The Forum has a thread on the Middlemore Homes.
Thank you - we have LOADS of information about what happened to him - after being eventually Deported back to England and dumped in Liverpool, tragically he ended up in Hammersmith, London, in a Paupers Grave - his Grand-daughter from Canada - ( we knew NOTHING of this - Thank you, Ancestry DNA!) is coming to UK this weekend for us to recognise his life, and death, of him and other British Home Children at his graveside, and I'm taking them up to Brum to look around where he and his family came from - or what little is left of Erdington / Aston / Gravelly Hill! - hence my sudden appearance on this site!

ET55, If you do visit Aston the houses at the rear of number 16 Rugdewick Croft would be as close to number 38 Clarendon Street would have stood, Also 129 Park Lane would be no longer than 2 minutes walk to 38 Clarendon Street.

Are there anymore details for Harry, tricky with just a name and a fairly common one.

There are 8 or 9 listings for a Harry Evans in the Aston district on the 1921 census and he could have lived further away.

One of the Harry Evans b1878 (so of a similar age) is listed at 129 Park Lane in 1921 though with a wife and daughter. 129 would have only been a street away (4 houses past Parliament St).

Could just be a coincidence though.
Thank you - I'll have a look!
ET55, If you do visit Aston the houses at the rear of number 16 Rugdewick Croft would be as close to number 38 Clarendon Street would have stood, Also 129 Park Lane would be no longer than 2 minutes walk to 38 Clarendon Street.
Thank you! I was going to head for Parliament Street for a mooch around: we'll head for Rugewick and hope we don't scare the neighbours! Might have a nosy at Park Lane, too. Appreciate your help.

Thank you - I'll have a look!

Thank you! I was going to head for Parliament Street for a mooch around: we'll head for Rugewick and hope we don't scare the neighbours! Might have a nosy at Park Lane, too. Appreciate your help.
The thread for Parliament Street will give you a good idea how the area looked, there are none of the original houses remaining although part of the primary school in Burlington street remains. Have you looked at www.leroux.co.uk/aston

The thread for Parliament Street will give you a good idea how the area looked, there are none of the original houses remaining although part of the primary school in Burlington street remains. Have you looked at www.leroux.co.uk/aston
Thank you - The map won't load through the link but I'll give it a go direct later.

Thank you - The map won't load through the link but I'll give it a go direct later.
Hi, sorry about that, apparently the server for the website is down at the moment, my son will sort it and I'll let you know when it's up and running again.

Should be working again now but should say it won't work on a smart phone.
Wow, that's working and what a brilliant thing! Will be getting a cup of coffee and a bikkie ready for an afternoon of investigation - Thank you!

Back