• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harry Astbury, Hockley

Jayell

master brummie
Could I ask for a look up in the 1954 directory. My first job on leaving school was at Harry Astbury Electrical Engineers in Hockley. The firm was somewhere opposite the Palladium Cinema. I am trying to find out what number in the road the offices/workshop was located at so that I can place it in connection with where I have found my 3 x gt.grandmother living in the 1851 census. This was 'Yard' Hockley which I believe to be between 71 and 72 Hockley.

Judy

Kelly's 1956

I don't have Kelly's 1954 but this should be OK Kelly's 1956

Kellys hockley Hill. 1956.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry Astbury

Many thanks John. I have a photo of the Brook Cafe (70 and 71 Hockley Hill) in 1954 from the Carl Chinn Archives, so this gives me a bit of a guide to what I am looking for, and it is interesting to see that Harry Astbury's was only a few doors away. Thanks again.

Judy

Hockley Hill

John - Here is the photo that I copied from the Carl Chinn Archives. It shows the Brook Cafe at 69-71 Hockley Hill. From the 1956 Kellys information on Harry Astbury that you sent me, it would seem that the cafe was only a few doors away, and therefore if the numbering had remained the same over the years, the Yard which was near 71 in 1851 (where my 3 x gt.grandma lived) would have been next door to the cafe.

Photo replaced by what I believe is same as original
69.71 hockly hill.brook_cafe.1964.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hockley Hill

Hi are these buildings still there only in 1858 Hockley Hill buildings, messuages etc were mentioned in my gggreat grandfathers John Bartlett's will I am still trying to follow this lead. Can I use the photo for my personal record?

Hockley Hill

Hi Fergie - This is what I would like to know - were these buildings there in 1851? If you find out that they were I would love to know. As I said, I copied the photo from the Carl Chinn Archive Website. I would love to see any other old photos of this area if you have any.
Judy

Hi Judy
I don't have any photos I wanted to find out more about the area myself. I do have this map that was part of the conveyance/indenture showing Hockley Hill and Key Hill where John had property which I will attach though I may have done it before, if its any good to you.

The Indenture was made in October 1881 but then the estate was being cared by John Bartlett Snr's wife and children from when he died in 1858.

Hi Fergie

Many thanks for attaching the map showing the conveyance/indenture for Hockley Hill/Key Hill, I hadn't seen it before. It is obviously the same side of the street as the Yard I am interested in - this yard is between 71 and 72 Hockley. Does your g.g.grandfather's will mention any street numbers or trades carried on in the buildings he owned? I only wish we could find out more about this particular stretch of road in the 1850's. Perhaps when I get to B'ham again I will try and check it out in the Archives, but that won't be until the end of the year.

Thanks. I think I would probably look for photos if they have them, and also may go up to the Archives to look in the rate books. I would just ask what information they held for that side ofo Hockley Hill. But as I am only curious to know what sort of place this would be in the 1850's and let's face it, an address of 'Yard, Hockley' doesn't sound very nice does it - I couldn't ask you to look anything up for me. However, if you do find any information for yourself on that stretch of the road which you think might be useful, I should be glad to hear it.

Back