• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harrison marriage confirmation

sistersue61

master brummie
Hi All, would someone be able to look at a marriage for me please, think I have the correct one, but have limited info.
My paternal great-grans married name was Harrison, first name Sarah, born in Wolverhampton about 1861. On 1911 census, she is listed as head, married 28 years, 11 children 6 living, 5 dead, and 4 at home with her, Minnie, Florrie, Lily (my nan) and James, but on 1901 is listed as widowed, head,with only Beatrice, Minnie and Florrie with her. Nan only had a short birth certificate and there is no father named on it, neither is it recorded at the registry office, just to add more intrigue, on nan and grandads wedding certificate, the witnesses are Sarah and James Griffiths, said James Griffiths having featured at Sarahs address on the 1901 and 1911 census as a boarder and visitor respectively, we think!! I have found a possible marriage for them in 1917, but it is Sarahs first marriage I am keen to find, to try to get her maiden name, I know her husbands name was John Harrison, because on Beatrices wedding lines he is named!! I have found a potential match in 1882 in Wolverhampton, but would just like an second opinion on it please.
All of this leads me to think that John Harrison wasn't the father of at least Lily and James, but that will never be known, also, can't find a 6th child named on any of the census returns with Sarah, so am wondering if it should be 6 died and 5 living.
Hope this makes some sense, would welcome any other views on it.
Tanks as always, Sue

Would this be the marriage you were looking at?
Marriages Dec 1882
John Charles HARRISON Wolverhampton 6b 965
Sarah WALSH Wolverhampton 6b 965

Deaths Sep 1915
John C Harrison aged 55 Wolverhampton 6b 687

Also noticed the following?

HARRISON, John C (married) lodger occ Upholsterer
Address: Mill Street, Cannock
HARRISON, Sarah (married)
Address: 1, 1 Court, Pearson Street, Wolverhampton

1911 at Court 1 Paddey's Buildings Mander Street Wolverhampton
Annie Harrison Widow aged 76 born 1835 Hednesfield Staffs
John Harrison Son Married aged 50 born 1861 Wolverhampton Staffs, Upholsterer

Linda, thats great thanks.
That was the marriage I was looking at, and I found the Cannock 1891 entry, but missed the 1911 and the death.
That only leaves me the 1901 for John to find, although its quite intriguing that although married, they never seem to have lived together at census time, whether they still had a relationship is hard to tell too, I would guess not, as he isn't named on nans birth cert, no wonder my very devout Catholic great aunts practically disowned Lily when she married their brother, even though they did bring her son (my dad) up.
Will re-look at the Walsh family now, it seems as if they had a business and then emigrated to the USA, more American links for dad lol.
Thanks again, Sue

I knew this was doing too well, the only Sarah Walsh I can find was born in 1858, so the age doesn't match on any of the later census returns, suppose this could just be a memory thing? or a rounding up/down by the enumerator, what does anyone else think?
I also "lose" her in 1881, a year before her marriage in 1882, have tried the soundex and both Ancestry and FMP with no joy. Oh well, keep trying :)
Sue

Hi Sue, I have been looking for Sarah too, with absolutely no luck so far (it makes you think that some of our ancestors don't want to be found) and although this will probably throw a spanner in the works I noticed that Sarah’s occupation on 1891, 1901 and 1911 census is Enameller and there is a Sarah with the right-ish year of birth, born W’ton on 1881 census below – probably not yours, but who knows![h=4]1881 census transcription details for: 14, Herrick St, Wolverhampton[/h]National Archive Reference:
RG number:
RG11
Piece:
Folio:
Page:
Reg. District:
Wolverhampton
Sub District:
Wolverhampton Western
Parish:
Wolverhampton
Enum. District:
Ecclesiastical District:
City/Municipal Borough:
Address:
14, Herrick St, Wolverhampton
County:
Staffordshire

Name
Relation
Condition
Sex
Occupation , Disability
Where Born
HAYNES, Samuel
Head
Married
M
F?
Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
HAYNES, Lucy
Wife
Married
F
HAYNES, Sarah A
Daughter
Single
F
Enameller
HAYNES, Edith
Daughter
Single
F
Scholar
HAND, Annie
Adopted
Single
F
I have looked for a marriage for Sarah Haynes to a Walsh with no luck either, could be Walsh is 1st hubby who died youngish.
Good luck with your search I have a feeling she will be a hard nut to break - bewdley

Thanks Bewdley, I had found this Sarah too, whose age and occupation and location all match what details I have,so I had that thought too, did she marry young, then re-marry to John Harrison,will keep looking, od hope that dad has a flash of inspiration with a name, but like I said his mom, Sarahs youngest daughter, spent most of dads childhood in Hollymoor Hospital, and his dads family really didn't get on with Lily or her family, so dad never really knew them, the only one he recalls is Florrie, so am going to look her up next!
Sue

Hi i am looking for any relatives of my late Grandad Edward Harrison who was born 3/5/1904 stirchley birmingham and died i think 1967 before i was born i heard he had three sisters and four brothers we know absolutely nothing about his side of the family.Any help would be great thanks.Paul

Hi Paul, not one of mine I don't think, they are all Wolverhampton born.
Have you started a new thread of your own on the genealogy area, that way people will respond to your query alone?
Good luck with your searching - have you tried the 1911 census to find him?
Sue

have just done my family tree too and sarah harrison along with an isaac john,charles and so on are all my relatives aswell,think isaac was her dad.....small world isnt it

Not sure that yours will be related to my Sarah Harrison, that was her married name, we know she married a John Harrison in 1882 and her name then was Sarah Walsh, but there we hit a stumbling block, as we can't find anything for her on births or census records, despite the sites best efforts.
When was your John on the census with Sarah and where, if you don't mind me asking, it could be a link to his family.
Sue

Well,,,to keep the "Harrison" research going on & perhaps widening for possible "link-ups" heres my "Harrison line",

Amelia Gertrude Harrison (1888-1964) married Henry McGann 1906 @St John's Church Sparkhill, Solihull(was then)
Her father a Thomas Harrison(Deceased 1906 on Cert) Mom a Sarah A Harrison, Bride & Groom address 7 Mountford St
1911 address Fox Terrace, Fernley Road, Sparkhill,,,,,,,,, hope this link up & helps the Harrison's lines as prior Postee's
Good luck all,,,,,John

Hope this will help one of the other postees John, am pretty certain it won't be my Harrisons, solely because of the addresses - mine are from Wolverhampton,seem to have always lived there from the census reports.
Sue

Back