• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harrison Jewellers in Birmingham and Handsworth

Hello again - I would really like to pick up on our conversation again regarding the shared Harrison ancestry... Especially as I am in the planning stage of a trip to Birmingham.... Hoping to visit the family plot in the Kings Hill cemetary... I would be happy to take the oportunity to look into anything for you too... and establish our connection.

Best regards

David Babb-Farrell

My apologies - It should have read Key Hill Cemetary - L22 Catacomb 7, to be exact.

My excuse "it was far too late and I should have been in bed!"

You win the prize for spooting the deliberate mistake of the day. :friendly_wink:
Cheers

David

Hello to the Henry Harrison family hunters,

It was a big surprise when put "Henry Harrison Master Jeweller" in the search engineer and this thread turned up!

I've only just started looking into my family tree about a month ago and just got a lot of information from my Father about his Mothers side (Harrison) and here I am!

So my link is

Peter Hawkins (yes another Peter!) - Peter Hawkins (Father, can't have too many Peters) - Elsie May Harrison (my Nan b1906) - William Charles Harrison b1865 (Great Grandfather) - Joseph Henry Harrison b 1837 (GG GF) - Henry Harrison b1813 (GGG GF)- Henry Harrison b1786 (GGGG GF)

Very spooky we are all looking!!!

Hello Cousin Peter Mk.III !

I am seriously thinking about putting out an appeal for more Davids (or others) to respond! :)

I am just about to serve up tea to my ever demanding daughters - So I shall respond in full a little later... but could not resist a quick response now and glad I logged on now in preparation for a busy evening!

Speak soon

David

Hi David, great to hear from you

Introducing William Harrison, my Great Grand Father, (if this attachment worked) I've got a lot of interest memories from my father (now 83) that I'm trying to look into.

Firstly what do you think of the uniform? Police?

best regards

Pete

Hi Peter

Well - Really nice to see a picture on the Harrison side so far back in time.... I don't think it is a military uniform (willing to be corrected!) and like you, I think a police uniform is likely... Cannot say that there is a family likeness... I guess that we are too diluted down the generations!

Lots of references to the Henry's and Joseph in the Birmingham papers on-line - Sadly all before photgraphy was used to illustrate the stories!

Back soon.. Now in "putting to bed" mode... This could be a long job as it is half term - Tomorrow night will be worse with friends coming for a sleep-over.... a misnomer if there ever was one! :friendly_wink:

David

I did wonder if it might be, a lot of the Police uniforms I've seen have numbers on the collar.

What I know of William Charles Harrison (my Great Grandfather)

1865 March 5 - Born in Church Street, Aston Manor, Edgbaston
He married Kate Caroll who died and then married her sister Bridena Carroll (My Father remembers been told that the "family" wasn't happy about him being involved with the Caroll's, haven't found anything about the Caroll family.
1926 Living in 19 Severn Side South, Bewdley, Worcestershire where his Daughter Elsie meets and married my Grandfather Frederick Hawkins. The Marriage Cert states he was a Baker / Traveller

My father also remembers the following;

William use to travel around "big house" sales
And most interesting, which is the main reason for starting this search, my Father remembers been told by his Grandfather Harrison that Witley Court (which belonged to the Earl of Dudley) was "in the Family".
Witley Court is not far from where I live and is worth a look if you not been, it would be great if a link can be found.

Now having looked into the Harrison family, they were doing well but haven't found a link with Witley Court although I've only just start looking.

Having looking at this history of Witley Court, Sir Herbert Smith, 1st Baronet, owned the Court from 1921 to 1937, therefore William more likely be refering to Sir Herbert family not Dudley's. Unless it meant had been in the family?!? Widen the possibilities.

David, I have no knowledge of any further back than William Harrison. I was told that his middle name was "Darling", by my grandmother. I may have got the year wrong in the Kelly's directory, but in 1912 my grandfather Harry Harrison was born and William Harrison was living in Sutton Coldfield (on the Boldmere Road)

Hi there,

I'm researching the Harrison family from sutton Coldfield and have a William Harrison

o Born: 21st October 1875, Birmingham, Warwickshire, England.

o Baptised: 13th October 1879, St Paul’s Church, Birmingham.

o Married: 29th August 1900 to Mabel Williams

o Occupation: Commercial Traveller.

o Died: 9th February 1947, Boldemere, Sutton Coldfield. (71 years).

Is this your William?

Kind regards

Hi there,

I'm researching the Harrison family from sutton Coldfield and have a William Harrison

o Born: 21st October 1875, Birmingham, Warwickshire, England.

o Baptised: 13th October 1879, St Paul’s Church, Birmingham.

o Married: 29th August 1900 to Mabel Williams

o Occupation: Commercial Traveller.

o Died: 9th February 1947, Boldemere, Sutton Coldfield. (71 years).

Is this your William?

Kind regards

Not logged in for a long time

Hi there,
It certainly sounds possible that it could be the right William.

Is there any reference to the ‘Darling’ middle name in your source?

Cheers

Hello all! I too share Henry Harrison b.1786 as a 4th great grandfather. My paternal grandmother was Gladys Ethel Louise Harrison 1889-1966 and I think I have established strong ish links between them. Happy to share with anyone...and equally happy to receive any relevant info!
Ann

Such an interesting thread for me, as William Charles Harrison is my great grandfather as well. My great grandmother was Bridena Mary Josephine Carroll. My grandmother was the daughter of William and Bridena. Her name was Bridena Mary Josephine Harrison, born January 8 1910 in Villa Street, Aston Manor.
I have quite a lot of information about William to share if anyone is still participating in this thread.

hello craftycase and welcome..i grew up in villa street ...we have a thread for this street with photos that may interest you...what number was josephine born at

lyn

Hi Lyn!
I have 123 Villa Street, Aston Manor, Warwick as the birth place of my grandmother. It was written in my source, which is a passionately pursued family tree written by my Aunt about a decade ago. We are a family of Brummies going back a very long time, although my parents emigrated to Canada in 1969.

Hi, Everyone. I am first cousin to Craftycase and we share the same grandmother and great grandmothers and all the Harrisons thereafter. Hawk - I remember most fondly going to visit your grandmother, my great aunt, Elsie and her family in Bewdley as a child. I have a lovely photo, somewhere, of Elsie, Dolly, Harry, Bridina and possibly others, as children. Must find it out for you.

There you go. Not sure who's who, except that the youngest and littlest one is Bridina - my grandmother, daughter of William Harrison and Bridina Carol. Here's another photo of him too - a bit older than the one in the uniform.

Attachments

• Nan as a baby.jpg
    Nan as a baby.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Best yet.jpg
    Best yet.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 6
Back