• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harrison Jewellers in Birmingham and Handsworth

DaveJvu

proper brummie kid
I am researching my Harrison links in Birmingham and I would be grateful and interested in any information on the family:

My four-times Great-Grandfather is Henry Harrison (1786, Birmingham and died 1864, Handsworth) married Sarah (1791, Birmingham and died 1856, Handsworth). Henry was a Jeweller and moved to Handsworth sometime between 1841-51 and lived in Mayfield House and in 1861 he is described as a House and Land holder and in his will is decribed as a "Gentleman", so he must have done well for himself..

The eldest sons Henry (1813) and joseph (1815) went into business together - perhaps taking over the family jewelry business...

In the Slater's Directory of 1846, there is an entry for Henry and Joseph Harrison, based at 4 Howard Street, Birmingham as "Manufacturing Jewellers". The entry is repeated in the 1863 Directory and includes the comment "and real Jet ornament manufacturers" - They also appear in the "Gilt Toy Makers" catagory as well.

Details of Henry and Sarah's children are as follows:

1). Henry (1813) married Eliza Simpson (1812-1879) and they have children Joseph (1838) and Albert (1840)... once again the sons have Silversmith and Jewellery Making links...

Albert's daughter Marion Jane married Sydney Walter Reeves, the son of Walter Reeves the well respected Victorian landscape artist. Other sibbling marriages have links to Silversmith families - most notably to the Stokes and Ireland company...

2). Joseph (1815) married Harriet Nind (1818-1872), who was reputedly a wealthy heiress... Their son was Frederick (1854-1881), but I do not know if he married.

3 & 4). Daughters Ann (1817) and Maria (1819) appear in 1841, but disapear off the radar - No maariages have been found that I believe to match... So any information here would be appreciated.

5). Son John (1821) was also a Jeweller and he is my 3x great Grandfather and he is a bit of an enigma... Marrying Ann Mountford and having a Son; Alfred Mountford Harrison (1842)... But then "disapearing" from the family home... This is the only "absolute" known... But...

In the 1851 John is recorded with another family of "wife" and 2 children... and again with another family in the Census reports between 1861-1881 with anoother "wife" and a further 7 children... John died in 1891 and is described in his will as a "Gentleman"... I hope to put another posting on this Forum relating to these family members and the story that I have built around him...

As I have been unable to locate records of the second or third "marriages", I am really keen to look into this area and identify the ladies and complete the story... I would love to publish this story...

6). Son William (1823-before 1830)

7). Son George (1824) dies sometime before 1855, but is listed as a Jeweller in 1851 - I do not know if he married...

8). Son Edwin Albert (1826-1876) is the "odd son out" and he became a Solicitor rather than Jeweller.. He marriesd his Landlady Isabella Walton... There were 5 children from her first marriage - and Edwin Albert and Isabella had children; Isabella (1858) and Edwin Albert (1859) who was also a Jeweller and Goldsmith...

9). Daughter Sarah (1828-1874) married William Aston (1827-1881) and he is the Son of Thomas Aston - The well reputed Father and Son Manufacturing Silversmiths Aston & Son. There were no children as far as I am aware.

Two childrern from Thomas Astons second marriage were Henry Hyde Aston: a short lived and collected silversmith working from 1959 until his untimely death in 1863. Also Charles Hyde Aston who was a wedding ring manufacturer.

10). Daughter Mary Ann (1830) appears in the 1841 Census and then, like her Sisters Ann and Maria, disapears off the radar...

11). Son William (1831) is the only untraceable Son - he is with the family in Birmingham in the 1841 Census, but then no trace...

It would seem that most of the Harrison family moved to and lived around the Handsworth area as well as Birmingham.

So, if anyone by any chance matches to the above named characters or knows of any more information relating to the Harrisons (especially the three daughters) or the extended family or businnesses - I would be very interested and pleased to hear more...

Any information on jet manufacturing in Birmingham would be much appreciated as I have found nothing on this work in the various records...

I look forward to any responses.

Regards

David Babb-Farrell

Don’t know if any of this is of help, all from directories:

1823 Harrison Henry, jeweller and victualler, 26, Great Hampton-street
1829-33 Harrison Henrv, goldsmith & jeweller, Howard st
1839-41 Harrison Henrv, jeweller, 4 Howard st
1845-55 Harrison, Henry & Joseph, manufacturing goldsmiths &
jewellers, 4 Howard Street.
1858 Harrison H & J, goldsmiths & jewellers 4½ Howard St (Henry Harrison, goldsmith, residence, Soho Hill)
1862 Harrison Henry . jeweller 5 Howard St, residence Soho Hill

In addition in 1818 there is Harrison Joseph, jeweller, Great Hampton-street

Hi Mike

Many thanks for the swift response - Some very useful information gleaned there, some reconfirms my own discoveries, but some new information as well.

1823 Harrison Henry, Jeweler and Victualler, 26, Great Hampton Street

- My 4x Great Grandfather - I would guess, although I didn't know of him being a Victualler as well...

1829-33 Harrison *Henry, Goldsmith & *Jeweler, *Howard Street*

- My 4x Great Grandfather..

1839-41 Harrison *Henry, *Jeweler, 4 *Howard Street*

- My 4x Great Grandfather.. or 3x great Uncle...?

1845-55 Harrison, Henry & Joseph, Manufacturing Goldsmiths & Jewelers, 4 Howard Street.

- By this time, I had assumed that Henry & Joseph were my 3x Great Uncles, both of whom were Jewelers...

1858 Harrison H & J, Goldsmiths & Jewelers 4½ Howard Street (Henry Harrison, Goldsmith, residence, Soho Hill)

- Interesting to see the address given as 4 1/2, not the previously 5 Howard Street!

1862 Harrison Henry . Jeweler 5 Howard Street, residence Soho Hill

- These entries confirm that Henry & Joseph are the brothers, my 3x great Uncles.... Henry jnr was definitely living in Soho Hill

In addition in 1818 there is Harrison Joseph, Jeweler, Great Hampton-Street

...and this is the revelation!:biggrin: This could be an unknown brother (to me) of Henry snr.... especially as you have listed Henry in Great Hampton Street in 1823... and definitely something for me to chase up...

Many thanks indeed - Very much appreciated

Best wishes

David
Babb-Farrell

Its a little later than your posts, but my great grandfather William Harrison is listed in the Kelly's Directory for circa 1912 as a Jeweller in Albion Street in the Jewellery Quarter.

Hi Dave
Glad it was useful. Just a couple of other points.
I wouldn’t bother too much about the 4½ rather than 4 Howard St. Often at that time people seemed to have just given what they thought an address was . It is not uncommon for a house to go up or down one figure for a year, and then go back to what it was before. On a couple of occasions this has made the exact numbering around a junction difficult to determine, as in one year ia number is one side, but the next year the other side of the junction.
Victualler is very often used to describe some form of licensed premises (even if it doesn’t say licensed victualler), but no 26 Gt Hampton St was certainly not licensed in 1841 and after
Mike

Hi kdharrison
What number in Albion St was William Harrison?. I can't seem to find him in my Kellys for 1912
Mike

Hello again Mike

Strange parallels... my grandfather Charles Moses married an Ella Palmerwhose Semper roots came from Bath - my 4x great Grandfather Edward Semper was a TrunkMaker and Victualler... I was in the happy position in May of walking around the original premises (now a lighting shop!). There was a lot of architectural details in the building to give clues as to its original use, including an inner-bow front to the building that enabled the coaches to turn in the street directly outside the front of the building!

I do enjoy seeking out the locations of my ancestors and I am lucky enough (by huge coincidence) to be just a few miles down the road from where my Palmer ancestors originated... A pub was included there as well! :)

Hopefully I will get the opportunity to take a couple of trips up to Birmngham and Handsworth - I have sooo much to follow up on at the Library and record office!...

Oh well, back to the children and the washing up!

David Babb-Farrell

Hi KD

Thanks for the reply - Would your William be the son (b.1866) of Joseph and Emma?

I would be interested in establishing a link... I could email a genealogy report detailing my Harrisons if you wish.

Regards

David Babb-Farrell

David, I have no knowledge of any further back than William Harrison. I was told that his middle name was "Darling", by my grandmother. I may have got the year wrong in the Kelly's directory, but in 1912 my grandfather Harry Harrison was born and William Harrison was living in Sutton Coldfield (on the Boldmere Road)

Good evening

I would be happy to and interested in looking into this for you - and who knows, there could be a link between our Harrisons...

David Babb-Farrell

Hi David 22nd April,2012

I have come across your posting on the Birmingham History Forum.

My paternal grand mother Minnie Fisher nee Harrison (1874-1957 ) was the daughter of Alfred Mountford Harrison (1842 - 1911 ). He was the son of John Harrison (born 1821 - date of death not known ). John was the son of Henry Harrison ( 1786 -1854 ). Henry and John were jewellers. Henry had a number of other children, some of whom were also jewellers - Henry ( born 1813 ), Joseph ( born 1815 ) and George ( born 1824 ). ) One of Henry's children who was not a jeweller was Edwin Albert (1826 -1876 ). He was a solicitor ( coincidentally so am I). I acquired all of this information from my cousin, Rita, who has undertaken a massive amount of research. I have accessed some Public Notices which Edwin placed in the London Gazette. His practice address was 19 Newhall St, Birmingham.The father of the Henry who was born in 1786 was also a Henry - born 1760. Do you have any information about him or the family earlier than 1760 - and also details of the connections with the Stokes and Ireland families?

Best regards and perhaps we can keep in touch-Peter H. Fisher( K2phf@blueyonder,co.uk )

Hi DaveJvu & Peter Fisher
I am connected to the Harrison jewellers through my great grandmother, Florence Emily Harrison (1864), who married William Bushell. Florence was the oldest daughter of Joseph (1837) and Emma (1839).
I would be interesting in sharing views and information about the early family.
All the best
Peter
Auckland
New Zealand

Good evening / morning Cousin Peter! :fat:

It is nearly 11:30 hear in the UK and I am about to hit the sheets after a long day out... Great to hear from you and I will be replying in full very soon... All ready to share what information I have...

Speak very soon.

David Babb-Farrell

Harwell
Oxfordshire

Hello Peters!

I feel like the odd one out being called David :friendly_wink:

Sorry I have not replied earlier... A busy week off here at home with my young daughters at the start of the Summer holidays... and watching the Olympics!

If you wish to converse off-line, I can prepare something directly off my Family tree to provide you with an overview of the Harrisons as I have researched many of the lines from Henry (born @ 1760) downwards...

Best regards

David Babb-Farrell
Harwell, Oxfordshire

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Peter & also David

I have made two attempts at a detailed reply to Peter's posting but they disappeared into the ether. Peter, my home email address is [email][email protected][/EMAIL]. Please email me your email address. However if the Forum, on security grounds, delete my email address , please visit my firm's website -www.beechamfisherridley.co.uk.and click on to "who we are" and then on to my name . This will bring up my details and my office email address. You can then email me at the office with your email address.

Best regards

Peter Fisher

Yes they are my great grandmother and grandfather too.Have just discovered the New Zealand connection in the last few weeks so have been expanding the family rapidly. Would be lovely to hear from you.

Hi Mike, I have read your postings on this forum and I wonder where you fit into the Harrison family tree and whether you are descended from Henry Harrison ( born 1786). He was my great great great grandfather. My paternal grand mother was Minnie Harrison (born 1874). Her father was Alfred Mountford Harrison ( born 1842). He was the son of John Harrison (born1821). John was a jeweller and may have ben in the family business of Henry and Joseph Harrison, his two older brothers. They were three of the 11 children of Henry Harrison (born 1786 ) Peter Fisher

Hi peter
I seem to be the only Mike who has contributed to this thread. I am not connected to the family, but was merely providing information
Mike

Back