• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harrison Jewellers in Birmingham and Handsworth

William Charles Harrison, also my Great Grandfather, was known by us as a 'black sheep' of the family. His daughter, my Grandmother, remembers being taken to visit her grandmother in a big house with servants, but her home was not like that. I remember being told that he had married my great grandmother's sister first, then my great grandmother. There was a bit of scandal. She took on her sisters son, [I think] She wanted her firstborn to be born in America -so they went there for the birth, where he was given a name which they changed when they returned to England. [Can't remember the details, sorry]. I never met him - he died before I was born, I think, but I did meet my great grandmother, Bridina Carol. I have a photo of her too, somewhere. She died when I was 9. She lived just a few doors away from my grandmother at that time, and I would often visit. [just found the photo and added it. She is pictured with her daughter, grand daughter, and me.

Attachments

• ScanImage005.jpg
    ScanImage005.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 14
Thanks so much sharing the photo's, my Dad will be over the moon to see and hear these stories from your side of the family!

Following from my aged post in this thread, re; my Great Grandfather William (Darling) Harrison. He is listed in Kellys Directory for 1915 as a manufacturing jeweller, at 54 Albion Street (JW Evans), however he is gone by 1920, so will need to dig a little more for him. Born in 1881, he came from Dumfries to Birmingham in the late 1800's and is listed at 22 Edmund Road, Saltley in 1901. I have found out today at Birmingham Library, that his wife (Emily Maud) was the daughter of William George Sothers (of WG Sothers Ltd, latterly WG Sothers and Co) who worked out of 111-113 Spencer Street. WG Sothers died in 1920, but the company ran through to late 50's and was producing bomb fuses during WWII in conjunction with a few other companies including William Suckling & Sons.

Back