• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harriet Humphries

evacar52

knowlegable brummie
Harriet Humphries is widowed in the 1871 census and she and her children live on Britten St but I do not have a street number. Her mother, Frances Moleworth and daughter, Frances Humphries live at 52 Britten Street and I am trying to determine if they live next door to one another or a few doors down. I am trying to find the house number on Britten Street for Harriet Humphries and her other children.

Earliest map I can find is 1884 and by then there are a lot of "courts" - presumably for the workers at the Victoria needle factory which was on the street.
1584714272415.png

quite a few back to backs as well jan...looking at the 71 census quite a few people who lived in the street worked at the needle works was victoria works the needle works jan...the map is a tad blurry for my eyes

quite a few back to backs as well jan...looking at the 71 census quite a few people who lived in the street worked at the needle works was victoria works the needle works jan...the map is a tad blurry for my eyes
On Harriet's death certificate it says she died at Back 5, Hewell Rd.
Carol

Victoria works made needles and fish hooks.
Thanks for the clearer map Mike.
Hi Janice
Harriet was a needle worker - listed as paperer if I read the census correctly. Not sure what that is and haven't found any information on what this job entailed.

Carol

Hi Janice
Harriet was a needle worker - listed as paperer if I read the census correctly. Not sure what that is and haven't found any information on what this job entailed.

Carol

hi carol just looked at the 71 census for harriet in britten st and it does look like it says needle paperer her daughter was a needle hander..also looked at the same page to see what her neighbours were doing and one is needle driller..needle printer and needle hardener...writing not very good but all jobs within the needle industry...not sure what they all mean but i have a book here of occupation and what they mean..later on i will have a look in it to see if there are any meaning for the needle industy..nice clear map that mike posted of victoria works in britten st (needle and fish hook) so harriet would not have had to walk far to work..there was a plan to demolish the old victoria works last year and replaced with new accomodation but i have just done a 2009 street view which should show victoria works before demolision but its not there unless of course the date of the below article is wrong...in fact i cant see any new houses at all down britten st just factory units..click on street view below..i think this is roughly where the needle factory would have been

lyn

Last edited:
susan just a bit of useless info... i noticed that william and harriet married in 1852 at st georges church newtown.....just over 100 years later in 1953 my mom and dad also married at st georges and my brother was baptised there...st georges church was demolished in the 60s but the churchyard is still there and within it stands the tomb of thomas rickman who designed the church....we have lots of photos of the church on the st georges church thread if you are interested...

lyn

hi carol just looked at the 71 census for harriet in britten st and it does look like it says needle paperer her daughter was a needle hander..also looked at the same page to see what her neighbours were doing and one is needle driller..needle printer and needle hardener...writing not very good but all jobs within the needle industry...not sure what they all mean but i have a book here of occupation and what they mean..later on i will have a look in it to see if there are any meaning for the needle industy..nice clear map that mike posted of victoria works in britten st (needle and fish hook) so harriet would not have had to walk far to work..there was a plan to demolish the old victoria works last year and replaced with new accomodation but i have just done a 2009 street view which should show victoria works before demolision but its not there unless of course the date of the below article is wrong...in fact i cant see any new houses at all down britten st just factory units..click on street view below..i think this is roughly where the needle factory would have been

lyn
Hi Lyn Really like this new knowledge about the likely needle factory (Victoria Works) that Harriet worked as and glad she didn't have far to walk knowing that she became widowed and also had 5 children in her care. The map Mike posted showing the location of the Victoria Works on Britten Street is much appreciated. All this adds so much dimension to these hither to unknown family members. Carol

Sorry for the delay:
Page 47 of the online book here is the start of a chapter about the needle industry. The rest of the book is interesting as well.
http://www.rvmha.info/rvm-frame-ih.html
Sorry for the delay:
Page 47 of the online book here is the start of a chapter about the needle industry. The rest of the book is interesting as well.
http://www.rvmha.info/rvm-frame-ih.html
Hi Janice Really appreciate the links to Redditch History as well as the Redditch History newsletter regarding the Humphrey shoes and the unknown family connection. I remember so few threads in my memory bank about my grandma and I thought her family was from Reading and only discouvered Redditch recently. Looking forward to reading this online book. Thank you so much. Carol

Back