• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Harold Juggins Studio Lozells Road

silhouette53

master brummie
Does anyone remember the photographers Harold Juggins of Lozells Road ? I think he had a place somewhere else too. The attached photo is that of my parents wedding group taken in the Juggins studio in 1942. They were married at St Pauls Church Lozells Road. My father was Thomas Surman and my mother Marjorie ( nee Price ) Dad was born and grew up at Holford House in the grounds of ICI as my grandparents were in service to Mr & Mrs Peter Franks (one of the directors of ICI)

My mother came from William Street, which is where I was born in 1953. My late older brother Tom was born in 1942 He attended Gower Street School. I went to Alma Street primary

go to this link on the main site formore info on juggins studio scroll down page till you get to Juggins

https://www.astonbrook-through-astonmanor.co.uk/memories.html

My father adopted the surname "Vernon" as a young man, having been born William "Juggins", in the Aston Manor district of Birmingham in 1988, the third of the four children, all boys, of Alfred John and Mary Ann Juggins. The eldest was called Alfred, the second Benjamin and the youngest, Harold, the older three always being known in the family as Alf, Ben, and Will (never Bill) respectively.
My father once told me that the Juggins family came from Gloucestershire; but whether by that he meant his father had so migrated, or whether a forebear, I don't know. The name "Juggins" was unfortunate; more so then than it would be today. The current edition of Chamber's Dictionary gives "Juggins (slang) a simpleton" without the qualification "(obs.)", but it surely is in fact quite obsolete now. I doubt for example, if any of you have ever heard it spoken. But in Victorian and Edwardian times it was in everyday usage. Hence in 1916, as attested by the legal documents still in my possession, my father adopted the surname "Vernon".
His decision to change his name is understandable enough, his choice of "Vernon" less so. Most men in his position would, I suppose, either vary the spelling in some way (e.g. to Huggins, Jurgens, or whatever) or take their mothers maiden name, which in dads case was "Turbeville". It is, perhaps symptomatic of an intellectually snobbish streak in my fathers character that he chose rather to name himself after a "Professor" Vernon, his mother's maternal grandfather, who, according to a fade' press cutting dated c. 1820 (now mislaid) advertised himself as a music teacher. Anyway, I must be thankful that the change was made. Like my father before me I suffered as a boy from a terrible stutter, of which more lately, which is enough of a cross to bear without a ludicrous name as well.
On my father's birth certificate his father's occupation is entered as "journeyman jeweler". In those days, perhaps still that trade is taken to include watchmaking, and it was in that branch of his trade that he worked, as a young man. In my schooldays I was never short of a watch -- an old-fashioned "turnip", but still a watch, which few, if any, of my classmates had -- out of a collection of these at in my father's possession. When one went wrong another came out to replace it. A more valuable memento of this family trade is the lady's gold fob watch that Phyllis now wears on special occasions and that one day one of you girls will inherit
Before long my grandfather left watchmouldng to drift through various occupations. It seems he was self-taught in metalworking skills and in new technologies such as photography and electricity; and being both intelligent and enterprising should have been able to make a good living. Unfortunately he combined these great talents with a streak of extraordinary irresponsibility, or so I understand from the very few odd remarks made over the years by my father, and something my mother once said about how my grandmother had kept things going on occasions. I suppose my father must have had some appreciation of, even pride in, his father's great abilities but I believe this was overwhelmed m his memory by contempt for his neglect of his responsibilities. He only once mentioned to me anything about his father's earlier

Late in life he interested himself in radio, making receivers in the very early days of broadcasting. One of my earliest memories is of listening through the headphones to the crystal-set grandpa had made for us, and later he had us a three-valve amplified receiver that served as our only radio until 1935.
[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
Harold Juggins took the wedding photograph of my late aunt and uncle, Connie LONGMORE and Jack LONGMORE, on Christmas Eve 1939. I believe my daughter in the UK has the photograph now and I will post on this site as soon as I can get hold of it. 8)

Maurice in sunny Crete
https://www.msheppard.com

hi john are this family relative to the family of juggin,s the building decoraters of hockley . ?. whom was in bussiness more many years than i can recall .? .

silhouette53 said:
Does anyone remember the photographers Harold Juggins of Lozells Road ? I think he had a place somewhere else too. The attached photo is that of my parents wedding group taken in the Juggins studio in 1942. They were married at St Pauls Church Lozells Road. My father was Thomas Surman and my mother Marjorie ( nee Price ) Dad was born and grew up at Holford House in the grounds of ICI as my grandparents were in service to Mr & Mrs Peter Franks (one of the directors of ICI)

My mother came from William Street, which is where I was born in 1953. My late older brother Tom was born in 1942 He attended Gower Street School.  I went to Alma Street primary
If you were born in William St in 53 and went to Alma st school then you would have been in the same class as my brother Philip Smith from 102 William St

"if you were born in William St in 53 and went to Alma st school then you would have been in the same class as my brother Philip Smith from 102 William St"

Not necessarily - being born 28 Sept meant that I was several months older than most kids in my class as I started in the Sept after my 5th birthday if that makes any sense ?
I have to say that the name doesn't ring any bells with me - there was no one of that name in my class so he may well have been in the year below me. If he has any specific memories of Alma St School to share though, I'd be very happy to hear them, or, indeed, of William Street.
Thanks very much for your reply to my post !!

Take care

Colin

I am trying to date a photograph taken by Alfred Juggins of 8 Lozells Road. Would you have any idea what dates Alfred operated from the studio at this address.
Many thanks
Colin

According to directories Alfred juggins took over the business from Richard Tippetts between 1900 & 1903. He was still there 1921 but had gone 1932, with the business being run by H Juggins. The electoral rolls show him, his wife and Harold there in 1920, but only Harold in 1922. i think it reasonable to guess that he handed the businees over to Harold in 1921 or 1922
Mike

Dear Mike
Many thanks for your very prompt reply. This will help me enormously. Much appreciated.
I don't suppose you'd know if I can tie the date 1900-1903 down any further. There are some family members who passed away during that period and I could definitley eliminate them if I had a more accurate date as to the start of business. It's probably not possible - but iI thought I'd ask anyway. I'm no expert on these things. Thanks again.
Colin

In the 1901 census the occupant is given as , what looks like, James Friend & family, with occupatio Pathographic artist (presumably means photographic artist). this could mean there was an intermediate person, or that the shop was in the name of tippetts ot Juggins, but they did not then live there. the 1901 or 1902 Kellys directories should give a bette ridea. these should be in the birmingham Reference library, if it is possible to access things there at present
Mike

Thank you Mike, I'll try and search the directories that you mention.
I appreciate your kind help.
Best regards

Colin

Colin
Have just noticed you live in london, so perhaps I should explain that the birmingham central, local &reference library is in the process of packing up for move to a new building , and access to things is limited and a bit hit & miss at the moment
Mike

I have the original portrait of my Aunt's wedding c1936 or 1937 with the insignia Harold Juggins, 8 Lozells Road, Birmingham. I'm unable to open any photos that have been posted on this thread and not sure if I want to post the portrait I have if site is not working properly -- any comments welcome - thanks

Thank you.
I don't even know how to open photographs on this system myself.
What is your family name? My family is GUISE. I am trying to date a family wedding photo taken by Harold Juggins.
Kind regards
Colin

There's a message at the top of the page saying that many of the photos are not available due to the site being hacked so not posting my photo here. Should be easy to guesstimate your photo as well as check the BMD records

I'm unable to open any photos that have been posted on this thread and not sure if I want to post the portrait I have if site is not working properly -- any comments welcome - thanks
The BHF site was hacked in 2011 and photos were lost as mentioned in the heading of the BHF, but many lost photos were saved by a forum member who put them back on the server.
A click on the following links will take you to the photos which were lost from the thread. They will appear in separate tabs.
With regard to current posting of photos, this site is working properly.
oldmohawk
Missing from Post #1
https://images.birminghamhistory.co.uk/coppermine/albums/userpics/10078/WEDDING__42.jpg
Missing from Post #6
https://images.birminghamhistory.co...omas_Isaac_Snr2C_Thomas_Isaac_Jnr___Colin.jpg
Missing from Post #9
https://images.birminghamhistory.co.uk/coppermine/albums/userpics/10078/Juggins0001.jpg

ps ....
A forum search finds posts with photos said to be taken by Alfred Juggins who was Harold's father. - there may be more.
Links below ...
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=41994&p=493341#post493341
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14326&p=433516#post433516

Hi Harold
Way back in time in the fortys and fifths there was a juggings painters and builders running around brum all from lozells area
And they did have a yard as I recall from those days just wondering are they any connections to you or ancesters. Astonian,,,,,,,

Thanks Old Mohawk for your info. I notice in the wedding portrait it has the same backdrop as my Aunt's wedding pic. Going to check out the links you sent - cheers

wedding group taken in the Juggins studio in 1942. They were married at St Pauls Church Lozells Road. My father was Thomas Surman and my mother Marjorie ( nee Price
Does anyone remember the photographers Harold Juggins of Lozells Road ? I think he had a place somewhere else too. The attached photo is that of my parents wedding group taken in the Juggins studio in 1942. They were married at St Pauls Church Lozells Road. My father was Thomas Surman and my mother Marjorie ( nee Price ) Dad was born and grew up at Holford House in the grounds of ICI as my grandparents were in service to Mr & Mrs Peter Franks (one of the directors of ICI)

My mother came from William Street, which is where I was born in 1953. My late older brother Tom was born in 1942 He attended Gower Street School. I went to Alma Street primary
i found the picture here in America Roswell New Mexico

Back