• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hare of the Dog Wellhead Tavern

A couple of newspaper clippings. The first from March 1900 when the tavern was put up for auction - instructed by a Mr Smith. The second is a clipping (of June 1962) reporting a newspaper dated September 1911 kept by an ancestor (Mr Smith) who claims he was descended from the couple who kept the pub in 1911. Coincidence ? Viv.

Attachments

• B0A08AAB-AA0F-4689-8667-E7BB340D0273.jpeg
    B0A08AAB-AA0F-4689-8667-E7BB340D0273.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 6D1E411F-19E7-4EC5-A8D0-875CB52BF250.jpeg
    6D1E411F-19E7-4EC5-A8D0-875CB52BF250.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 12
thanks viv...we all know smith is a common name but it would be a coincidence if they were not related...interesting

lyn

Hi Dave
Just looked at the photo number 67 my dad was Mr Charles Howell the little fellow on the right with the glasses and a pipe in his mouth. Some of the names i remember from left to right Eddie Tudor,third one Jack Jackson the two on the end Wilf Pestdrige and Bill Nokes Front row your dad the fellow sitting with the cups Charles Hands and the gaffer i think his name was Hugo and Mr Simkins. When i lived on the Pheasey i used see your brother Ray and did you have a brother Donald. When i younger i used to play with my cousion Freddy Talbot and Alan. i still keep in touch with John Tonwsend. Some other names i remember the two Fisher girls lived next to the Talbots Brian Greatrex the Seals Pinders and Russells the two little shops .All so i think you whent to school with my brother Peter Howell who sadly passed away fives years ago.
Kind Regards John Howell.

I remember the name Lewis and will ask my cousins the next time I phone them as they were brought up in Franchise street in the same back yard as my Nan.

Hi Dave
Just looked at the photo number 67 my dad was Mr Charles Howell the little fellow on the right with the glasses and a pipe in his mouth. Some of the names i remember from left to right Eddie Tudor,third one Jack Jackson the two on the end Wilf Pestdrige and Bill Nokes Front row your dad the fellow sitting with the cups Charles Hands and the gaffer i think his name was Hugo and Mr Simkins. When i lived on the Pheasey i used see your brother Ray and did you have a brother Donald. When i younger i used to play with my cousion Freddy Talbot and Alan. i still keep in touch with John Tonwsend. Some other names i remember the two Fisher girls lived next to the Talbots Brian Greatrex the Seals Pinders and Russells the two little shops .All so i think you whent to school with my brother Peter Howell who sadly passed away fives years ago.
Kind Regards John Howell.
Hi John
i remember your brother Peter very well also your dad i seem to remember he always rode a push bike,Barry Greatrix and the Seal family lived up our yard.also Fredy and Alan Talbot.There were 5 shops in Franchise st along with several other business

Back