• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hare of the Dog Wellhead Tavern

hi sparks i have given my reason for closing on post 36..its the only thing i can think of anyway

lyn

Thanks Astoness, I'm not in Brum now and I didn't know the university had closed - is that the whole site?!

yes sparks the whole lot..no idea what will become of it..i did hear some time back that maybe a school of some sorts but that is only chinese whispers..its all boarded off now but next time i am down that way next week i will make a point of trying to get a better look at whats going on and report back..i also want to get some shots of the wellhead in case they flatten that as well

lyn

Thanks Lyn for keeping us in the picture ( no pun meant). It's a sad story but no students and staff =no customers.
Cheers Tim

I was at Birchfield Road school on that site - it will be interesting to hear what happens to it.
I imagine it's because they want to keep the university departments all together on the central site now, which is understandable and practical.

Was walking along Wellhead Lane in Perry Barr when I saw the Hare of the Dog pub stuck within the Birmingham City University City North Campus demolition site on Franchise Street (making way for a Commonwealth Games athletes village).

Would assume the pub is safe?

The plans include one building which will remain (it is coloured lime green) - marked as the pub.

Attachments

• 1541098821139.png
    1541098821139.png
    201.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 1541098853443.png
    1541098853443.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 9
Saw that thread afterwards via a Google search, for some reason searching Hare of the Dog came up with zero results!

Never heard about this pub before I saw it behind the gate.

thanks jan....ell as you can see if you blink you would miss this pub especially if whizzing past in a car which i know you were not...got age to it as well...

lyn

With the hoardings up and a gate you wouldn't see it.

Railway bridge beyond, and the brick walls are so high couldn't see the railway below.

The pub does go a way back. I’ve found references in September 1865 (see article below). It had a pleasure garden and seems to heave been successful. But in 1908 (see article below) an application was made by Joseph Ansell to rebuild the pub. Presumably the application was successful as the current pub doesn’t look to me to date to the 1860s. Viv.

D00E59BD-6AE4-4AC6-9E69-05071FBF2985.jpeg108AC49C-B131-4C22-8293-2E71021B879D.jpeg

thanks viv...dont know why but i always thought it was the original pub..certainly looks older than 1908 plus.... especially when you see it from close up..mind you if that application went ahead thats me wrong lol

lyn

Pretty certain this isn’t a building from the 1860s Lyn. Definitely either late Victorian or early 1900s - looks arts and crafts to me. Here’s a view of the whole building. Viv.
DF348542-7B12-4FFD-8119-DA9942EBF75A.jpeg

I remember the Wellhead Tavern, the father of one of my junior school classmates was manager there and they lived at the pub.
I didn't know the name had been changed.

Hope it survives the redevelopment.

I have merged the Hare of the Dog and the Wellhead Tavern into this one thread. Viv.

Back