• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hare of the Dog Wellhead Tavern

gillian the forge tavern is very much up and running...i was down that way taking photos of it recently..very good chance that the lift up in the back room is still there..be interesting to find out

lyn

gillian the forge tavern is very much up and running...i was down that way taking photos of it recently..very good chance that the lift up in the back room is still there..be interesting to find out

lyn
Lyn I think that Gillian was referring to the trap door in the back room of The Wellhead Tavern, and not The Forge.

Yes lyn youre right in the wellhead to go behind the bar from the lounge was a drop down piece of the bar

ahh i see gillian i thought you had carved your names at the forge taven lol....i do intend visiting the wellhead (remaned the hare of the dog) this year just to have a look inside...

lyn

Hi everyone,

Here is a picture of my great grandad/grandma outside the Wellhead Tavern in the mid/late 1930s (i think) - Charlie and Winifred Richards. Lived on site and ranm this one for a while himself as far as i know. He had a chain of businesses in Derby and Birmingham around this time and into the 40's - fish and chip shops, pubs and newsagents. Died 1950 at 52.

Wellhead Tavern 1930's Perry Bar Birmingham.jpg

thats a great photo mark and what an interesting life your grandad had..thanks for sharing this with us...would it be ok if i saved the photo please..i will also move this thread to the pubs section of the forum

all the best

lyn

Welcome Mark. What a great photo. An interesting building. I expect it might have been relatively new when your grandparents ran it. Looks like a 1930s mock Tudor design to me. Very nice lamp over the door. Thanks for posting and enjoy the forum! Viv.

Thats a great photo mark and what an interesting life your grandad had..thanks for sharing this with us...would it be ok if i saved the photo please

all the best

Lyn

---------------------

You would be more than welcome Lyn - we have several more including one of a Street Party for George VI coronation, i think on Franchise Street as well .. Charlie is in it. Ill see if i can dig that one out as well. Amazing the pub is still going (and doing well) in the midst of a giant car park and the University. I dont know whether the area was cleared of its residential housing due to development over the years or bomb damage or a mixture of both

mark i would think that the area was demolished mainly due to re development although there may have been a bit of bomb damage as well and if it was not for the uni and its students i dare say we would have lost this fine pub...although according to my daughter it is popular with none students as well...yes please we would love to see any other photos you may have...im pretty sure there is a franchise st thread on the forum to post them on but if you have any problems finding it just get back to me..

lyn

Mark i would think that the area was demolished mainly due to re development although there may have been a bit of bomb damage as well and if it was not for the uni and its students i dare say we would have lost this fine pub...although according to my daughter it is popular with none students as well...yes please we would love to see any other photos you may have...im pretty sure there is a franchise st thread on the forum to post them on but if you have any problems finding it just get back to me..

Lyn

----------------

Will do Lyn, i'll get my father to dig it out and i will post it on the Francise Street thread. We have said we will try and have a pint in the pub before long (although live in Torbay now) and i will print and frame the photo for their wall .. i particulally liked the fact the pub is included in a tour of old Black Sabbath haunts, i am sure Charlie would have liked a pint with Ozzy

mark i would like a pint with ozzy lol....i have just had a quick look and i think i was wrong..we do not seem to have a lone thread for franchise st so when you are ready with any photos maybe you could start one for us...also hope you do manage to visit the old pub..

look forward to any photos

thanks again..its all history

lyn

Last edited:
found this on in my files...wellhead tavern dated 1958...this photo is courtesy of one of our members jean or ray (think its jeans)

lyn

Attachments

• wellhead tavern 1958 franchise sr perry barr.jpg
    wellhead tavern 1958 franchise sr perry barr.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 29
Yes lyn it is Rays with my nan on it too. Just by chance he sent it to me incase nan was on and low and behold she is. Front row second from the left Nanny Pem. I must look up my others and see if they will attach.

Yes lyn it is Rays with my nan on it too. Just by chance he sent it to me incase nan was on and low and behold she is. Front row second from the left Nanny Pem. I must look up my others and see if they will attach.

hi jean and thanks i could not think if it was one of yours or rays...jean the photo you have just tried to post did not work..most likely because its been posted on the forum before we were hacked...would you like me to send you my email add via private message...you can then email the photo to me and i will put it on here for you

lyn x

another one of the wellhead tavern..unfortunately this pub is now closed...i suspect falling sales due to the nearby uni closing...students used it a lot..such a shame...ps would love to know whats in the bucket..

wellhead.jpg

Back