• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hare of the Dog Wellhead Tavern

Ray Barrett

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN R.I.P.
This is the inside of the "Wellhead" on this photo.in the light coloured coat, front row, is my gran,the third lady to her right is G G Jeans nan.
It was definately on the corner of Wellhead Lane,opposite Kynochs,in fact Jean said it is still there.There has been a photo.of it taken outside on the forum,but I couldn't find it.

As an aside during the war,when there was a raid on, the gaffer of the Wellhead used to go along Franchise St.collect all the pensioners and guide them to realative safety of the pubs cellar.

Attachments

• m_The Wellhead Franchise St.jpg
    m_The Wellhead Franchise St.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 37
  • m_the Wellhead.jpg
    m_the Wellhead.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 33
Forgot to say there are photo's on the walls in the pub that were borrowed off my mom and never returned. I must go and ask if I can photograph them. They are where belong I suppose. Jean.

Hi Could I have a look up for the landlord of the Wellhead Tavern, Franchise St, in 1974 please. Ithink it is something else now. many thanks jim

Unfortunately the 74 directory only list it as

76 The Wellhead Tavern,

even going back to the 1960,s there does not appear to be any landlord listed which is unusual

Hi Could I have a look up for the landlord of the Wellhead Tavern, Franchise St, in 1974 please. Ithink it is something else now. many thanks jim

there is a well head taveren in ladywood next to the ladywood police station its been there for years but sadly i cannot think of the name of the street
and its frequentyed by the old lads of ladywood whom grew up in ladywood whom i know the marjorty of them whom used it ;
theres never any trouble in there its built on the old ladywood park nick named in the previuos years as blue bottle park ;
astonian;;

Could this be the Wellhead Tavern Franchise Street? The Hare of the Dog it's the only building left in Franchise St so it has no number that I am aware of.

Attachments

• Hare of the Dog.JPG
    Hare of the Dog.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 78
I was at Junior school with a boy whose father was the Landlord of the Wellhead Tavern - this was late 50's/ early 60's and I don't remember it looking like that. I think it was a Victorian building (though I could be remembering wrong!) and the photo looks like a 1930's house conversion.

HI GUYS
If my memory serves me correctly these wellhead tavens was the start of the london breweries setting up in brum which was in fact courage
beers from the courage brewerys that did have quite afew pubs around in brum at that period
knowing they called them wellhead inns and taverens after a few years possible in the seventys they slowly went away ;
there signs was a red and white sign above the front doors ;signing welcome
best wishes astonian;;

the wellhead tavern in franchise street was round the corner from wellhead lane, perry barr. I THINK the landlords name was Keogh,

It looks as if I was correct with my last photo and "The Hare of the Dog" is in fact a revamped Wellhead Tavern. I just came across this photo of the way the pub originally looked when the photo was taken in 1961.

Attachments

• Parry Barr Wellhead Tavern Franchise St.JPG
    Parry Barr Wellhead Tavern Franchise St.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 82
m_The Wellhead Franchise St.jpg

Inside the Wellhead 1958.the landlord is at the back in the photo.

An interesting aside to the Wellhead.During the war the landlord used to go up Franchise St.whenever there was a raid on and collect all the old folk and lead them to the "safety" of his cellar.Considering it was just across the road from Kynochs who had the biggest store of high explosives,it would not seem to safe.

Last edited:
what a cracking inside pic ray...thank you..am i right in thinking that the building is still there..

lyn

Thanks Lyn. She must have known Rays nan very well as she lived in the street till she was almost eighty when they demolished the houses. Of course the pub still stands in the Uni grounds. Jean.

My gran is in the front row in the light colored coat.I do recall the face of jeans nan but not the name,my gran always had someone in the house every time I went to see her,She also used to cook the lunch for a few ladies who worked at Kynochs.I was a very friendly St.I visited regularly from 1940 to 1960,when gran died.

Hi Ray my nans name was Emily but everyone called her Pemmy. She was a Taplin and re married a Rowley. My Nan worked at Mr Minty's Cafe till she was in her seventies and made the most wicked bread pudding. My Nan died in the early seventies.

Just seen this post, in 1966/7 my school friend margaret Tarmey moved there with her mom who was Mary Keogh from the Forge Tavern Fazely Street.I spent many happy hours there .My friend went to uni in1972 and I believed her mom remarried and moved to Bristol. The pub had more land there was an enormous back garden.My friend and i carved our names in the lift up part of the bar from the back room goodness know if it is still there.Unfortunately I have lost touch with Margaret who I believed maould love to catch up if anyone knows her

Back