• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hare and Hounds, Kingstanding

Trying to work out from the 1881 census where my 2xgt grand aunt Ellen Foden and her husband John were located. They are running the Hare and Hounds. Neighbouring Properties are Pool Farm and Holly Lane. Is it the pub pictured by Vivien in early 1900's? Is Holly lane what I know as Hawthorn Road?
Incidently 10 years later the Fodens were running the Bush Inn at Boldmere which I assume was later renamed Beggars Bush.
Thanks

Trying to work out from the 1881 census where my 2xgt grand aunt Ellen Foden and her husband John were located. They are running the Hare and Hounds. Neighbouring Properties are Pool Farm and Holly Lane. Is it the pub pictured by Vivien in early 1900's? Is Holly lane what I know as Hawthorn Road?
Incidently 10 years later the Fodens were running the Bush Inn at Boldmere which I assume was later renamed Beggars Bush.
Thanks

as viv has said holly lane became kingstanding road and i am happy to say that as i look out of my bedroom window i can still see pool farm cottages in rodwell grove..lovely to see that they are still standing

lyn

Should you be interested Peter, there’s also a Beggars Bush thread here.

Viv.

Here are a few snippets from the press (Source: All from the British Newspaper Archives) which might be of interest on this thread.

Much earlier than John and Ellen Foden, there was another Foden who had the Hare and Hounds Inn in 1863. This was Caleb Foden - any relation ?
4CB0B61A-2EA9-411E-861F-115B29AD2E33.jpeg

By the early 1900s the Inn was gaining a reputation

4B2470E9-DAB7-4C54-AF73-CA3629DB360C.jpeg

In early 1930 a provisional grant was made removing the old licence and for the building of a new inn and house adjoining the old Hare and Hounds site. This must have been in keeping with the massive 1930s building programme of new homes in Kingstanding.
59595F5E-4D35-4FB1-BB8C-F9F9C8CD72E7.jpeg

By April 1930 there was a replacement for the old H&H with a new, open and well-conducted public house on the adjoining site.

BAD6F2EE-5EEC-4F8D-BAB4-A83928E3F025.jpeg

My friend used to live by the bus stop (number 357 I think) just up the road and we often had a couple op pints in the Hare & Hounds in the 70s. He used to call it the spew and bucket, but then it seemed a decent pub.
Hi Malc, I spoke to my brother Mick about giving you his phone number and he said ''Absolutelty'' so here you are:

edit phone number has been removed for security reasons

hi bobx malcog is no longer a member of this forum so will not be able to reply to you..i have also deleted the phone number you posted because it is not a good idea to post personal contact details on open forum...

Last edited:
Back