• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hare and Hounds, Kingstanding

alan my son has just come home via the kingstanding road and there is nothing going on so its best not to speculate about any other problems until we know for sure.....there are still fire crews at the scene of the pub fire...

Last edited:
Hi Lynn
I have just got up this morning only to learn that the fighting was actually going on
In another two roads and not on the king standing road or at the hare and hounds
The report I got was on the face book pages from some one whom lives in king standing
Oh by the way I knew you said it was awaiting demo and boarded up I knew it
Was not operating ,as I said it was a chequered history pub
Gangs and drug and guns being deals and been used in the past
Along with the fighting often over its years
And that's why the police wanted close and it was only exceptional kept open
On the Appointment of a hard line management whom could handle the situation
But obviously they failed to get some body hence the closure of such a
One time glorious pub , still that's the sign of our today's society we are living in
And it ain't get get any better ,with cut backs of finances for the ever over demanding
Of our police force what I say and my opinion is bring back national service
For the young generation that will change them,
Still I expect its all about this product they call spice it sends dolally which is imported
Still that's another story I know but I just thought I would highlight it case I have misjudge it
But on the BBC news this morning it never mentionionedthe hare and hounds fire
So it was probably not the case possible some home less case sleeping in there may be
Have a nice day Lynn even thou its a wet and miserable day
Best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,,,,

It's ok, I've found a news article. I'm gutted, I grew up in that pub until I was 16 and I have so many fond memories of living there. I know it was earmarked for possible demolition but to see my old home going up in flames like this is just heartbreaking.

Attachments

• KingstandingPubFire1.jpg
    KingstandingPubFire1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 18
  • KingstandingPubFireTSR.jpg
    KingstandingPubFireTSR.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 18
  • KingstandingPubFire5.jpg
    KingstandingPubFire5.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 19
  • KingstandingPubFire4.jpg
    KingstandingPubFire4.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 18
sorry marc we posted at the same time..oh how sad for you to see your former home destroyed in this way....but as i always say they cant take our memories away from us...

lyn

marc you maybe able to help with this one...some time ago i was told that there is an underground tunnel to the pub which leads out onto the fields behind...could you confirm this please as it has always fascinated me ...

lyn

sorry marc we posted at the same time..oh how sad for you to see your former home destroyed in this way....but as i always say they cant take our memories away from us...

lyn
Lyn,

Following your reports of the fire at the Hare and Hounds I think we should appoint you as our roving reporter. As for the causes of the fire it is best left to the Fire Brigade investigators to sort out.

i agree old boy..we can all speculate but best to leave it to the experts..dont know about roving reporter as i am only 2 mins away from the pub and i went up there last night in my slippers lol

lyn

marc you maybe able to help with this one...some time ago i was told that there is an underground tunnel to the pub which leads out onto the fields behind...could you confirm this please as it has always fascinated me ...

lyn
Hi Lyn, thanks for your reply, and everyone elses btw :0)
I don't recall a tunnel as such Lynn, well at least not one that was open when we lived there. You could get out to the main lower level through the cellar that lead to the old downstairs bar / serving area that was boarded up. Beyond that were the bowling huts just in front of the main bowling green but there wasn't any direct access from the main pub to the fields.

Where did that info come from Lyn, or do you have any more detail?

I'm still in shock and don't even think I can bring myself round to visiting just yet. So many fond memories there I could write a book. What a shame... I know the Pub became known for less savoury dealings in its latter years but memories were all good, when the pub thrived with Bingo in the lounge, the pigeon club, darts club and a vibrant happy atmosphere. I forget if I mentioned this before, but I also remember a visit by a famous black comedian whos name I forget pulling up in his Rolls Royce or Bentley. The Dick Turpin Lounge with the wooden model above the lounge bar. etc etc so many great memories.

Hope the old cottages alongside are ok. Hi Marc, sad to hear a bout your old home. At what time were you living there? Did you go the Cranbourne Road/Kingsthorne Junior? Viv.

Hope the old cottages alongside are ok. Hi Marc, sad to hear a bout your old home. At what time were you living there? Did you go the Cranbourne Road/Kingsthorne Junior? Viv.

Hi Vivienne, yes I went to Cranbourne road. I left aged 16 so that would be 1982. I started Nursery I think it was at cranbourne Road. The was a small building near the entrance and the school itself was split in two halves I think. I attended both halves but not sure of my age then lol Mr Martin was one of my Teachers. :)

Speaking of the old cottages, my first love if you could call it that was with Samantha Goodman who used to live in the cottage next door. The house itself always smelt lovely, they used to burn incense sticks and I remember her Mom and Dads bedroom was way up in the loft area.
The paper shop next door always had that lovely old sweet shop smell.
I remember an old bit of a bad friend who live a few doors down from the bungalow called Kevin Neal or "Nellie". Next door to him lived a Mormon Family I think, a nice family with respectable young daughters.
I also remember that Tucker Lynch was the feared name back then lol. Rumour was that he had tied someone to a bench and set him alight. I don't know if that rumour was true but I often saw him driving other peoples cars up and down Kingstanding road lol.

Last edited:
I'm really letting my memories fly now lol, perhaps as a tribute to my old and much loved home.

Does anyone else rember the official opening of the petrol station near to the circle. An ITV celebrity opened it, I can see his face but for the life of me I can't remember his name.
I remember being given an "I've got a golden dispstick" sticker that I wore on the back of my artificial leather jacket and one day whilst on a bus, a local yob decided to try and beat me up because he said I thought I was someone with that sticker on my back.
Those were the days!

Loving your Avatar, sparks, funny how I was thinking about the King Kong visit only the other day and there he is in all his glory :0)

I took it from the BBC Birmingham website when they did the April Fool report on a replica of King Kong being placed outside the new library!

Back