• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hare and Hounds, Kingstanding

reposting my pics of the hare and hounds..the cottages on the left are still there

this one is of the original pub dated 1929

img520.jpg

new pub dated 1930

img518.jpg

Two great photos Lyn. Maybe the pub was re.built to cope with the trade it expected from the massive 1930s development of Kingstanding. Hadn't realised it was re-built as late as the 1930s. Looks like the 1930s H&H was designed to look much older - like an old coaching inn. Viv.

viv i was told by one of the barmaids some time back that the old tunnels still remain..dont know what they were used for though..shame to see it closed yet again but its been an on and off thing for years now...the forecourt is now used as a car valeting business..

Lyn it'd be interesting to find out what they were used for. Wonder if anyone on the forum knows? This is the first I've heard about it. Wonder where they go to? Wonder if they were to link up to the farms for some reason? (e.g. Warren and Pool Farms?). Viv.

hi viv.yes it would be interesting to find out..i think there is or was open field land at the back of the pub..will try and find out trouble is i doubt if the car valeters will know lol...

What an amazing set of images Astoness, thank you so much for sharing them!

It's amazing to see just how narrow the road was outside the pub and the fields in the distance behind. I had no idea that the bungalow next door was so old, I always thought it was post WW2.
It seems odd to see the extension to the right of the pub where the lounge entrance was.
It really was a grand old inn even for those days. I remember upstairs in the main original kitchen area, there was a large servants a bell box that listed all the rooms. The original phone on the staircase was a two piece bakelight affair, the horn type, one part held to the ear and you spoke into the horn.

I remember finding all sorts of old coins with my metal detector in the back garden, all around the old bowling green there were thousands of old clay pipes littered into the topsoil.

I could share a thousand stories about this place lol

Once again thank you so much for sharing these images.

Marc

hi marc and thank you fo sharing your memories they are brilliant...please keep them coming in...i do have pic of the kingstanding road taken in the early 1900s when it was then called holly lane..do you think i can find it...must be in my files somewhere...will post as soon as i can..

lyn

What an amazing set of images Astoness, thank you so much for sharing them!

It's amazing to see just how narrow the road was outside the pub and the fields in the distance behind. I had no idea that the bungalow next door was so old, I always thought it was post WW2.
It seems odd to see the extension to the right of the pub where the lounge entrance was.
It really was a grand old inn even for those days. I remember upstairs in the main original kitchen area, there was a large servants a bell box that listed all the rooms. The original phone on the staircase was a two piece bakelight affair, the horn type, one part held to the ear and you spoke into the horn.

I remember finding all sorts of old coins with my metal detector in the back garden, all around the old bowling green there were thousands of old clay pipes littered into the topsoil.

I could share a thousand stories about this place lol

Once again thank you so much for sharing these images.

Marc

Puts in perspective how old this part of Kingstanding is Marc. I don't suppose any of those coins were Roman were they?!! Isn't this part of the Roman Icknield Way? Viv.

yes viv the roman road runs more on the right hand side of the kinstanding road as you are going towards the circle so very close to where the hare and hounds stands...

Hi again Lyn. Do you know if that bungalow in your first photo post #32 is still there? I don't remember it. It looks like it's about 1920s and would have recently been built in the phito. I remember there were quite a lot of them along College Road too, but this one seems to be all on its lonesome. Maybe it was something to do with the pub. Viv.

oh viv how silly i am...yes im sure its still there..what threw me was that i didnt take into account that the pavement is now next to bungalow...i was going to take inside pics of the old cinema at the circle today but changed direction and went down the old end instead..will pop round the corner tomorrow and take a pic of the hare and hounds and the bunglalow...

lyn

That will be great Lyn. I was looking at an old map of Holly Lane/Kingstanding Road and I'm amazed at how many farms there were around there. For starters there's Warren, Kings Vale, Kettlehouse, Brookvale, Halfway and Witton Lodge Farms all within spitting distance of the road. That's a lot of thirsty farm workers for the H&H! And many of the later roads seem to have been named after them. Viv.

yes viv it was all farmland then..from my back bedroom window i can see the old farmers cottages..dating before 1841..only about 30 secs walk from my house..i have also posted a few old pics on the kingstanding thread..

lyn

hare and hounds..beech tree cottages to the left..

kingstanding008.jpg

beech tree cottages

kingstanding009.jpg

the design of the brickwork has not changed over the years or the windows as you will see when i post the next old pic..

kingstanding011.jpg

Last edited:
outside beech tree cottages in the 20s..viv there were more cottages to the left of the previous pic but im afraid they were demolished..the shop you see is also part of beech tree cottages and in the 30s this was a post office...posted a pic of this a couple of years back but its another one i have to try and find...

img550.jpg

Last edited:
Well you've been very busy Lyn. I'm struggling to keep up! Excellent photos bringing us bang up to date. Thanks. Yes the bungalow has seen some changes. Looks like there's been a completely new roof structure to incorporate additional room space in the loft and a garage. Surprised it's still there. I remember the Beech Cottages, they've a lot of history to them. The window shapes are interesting and I like the blue & red bricks. The group photo outside the cottages is superb, lads in their Sunday best!

I remember the PO well. Used to go in there a lot. Regularly went in to buy magazines with pocket money. When I was very young we used to have magazines delivered to the house from there. I used to get Harold Hare (I think that's what it was called). They weren't glossy mags in the 1950s, they were more like re-cycled paper. Only the front cover and one or two other pages were in colour. The PO used to sell cheap toys too. Funnily enough I don't actually remember it being a Post Office, but at that time I'd have been more interested in all the other paraphenalia on sale rather than stamps!! I remember the photo you posted Lyn so I've dug it out (after all you've done all the legwork today!). Here it is - it's from the 1920s. It's been thoroughly entertaining today Lynn. Thanks. Viv

PostOfficeKingsRd1920s.jpg

oh lovely memories viv...i use that shop quite often..ahh the old comics..very thin paper..we used to get the dandy and beano..its a pleasure to post these pics for you and thanks so much for saving that one of the post office..there is another one floating around somewhere..its a longger shot and it show the post box outside...must track it down..

lyn

just a quick update on the hare and hounds pub (known locally as the pudding and pint) planning permission has been submitted to demolish it and build 34 new dwellings including a block of flats...local residents have set up a petition objecting not to the demolision of the building but to what is planned for the ground..

lyn

Well Lynn
There you go an end to trouble for once and for all it was obvisiouly coming sooner or later
It was a pub going back quite area. Years now its a pub with what is called within the trade a chequered history forummy sister and brother in law worked there
Behind the bar in the eighths for the couple whom ran it and he was a nice guy and so was she but they was not toughen enough
They brought another couple after wards but they failed to take control of what was going on and another one of a couple to run it
In the end the brewery sold of to a guy whom owns a couple of pubs up in Sutton but he was never aloud to hold the public licence for the
Hare and hounds just like is other couple of pubs in Sutton he had to get a person of substance whom can handle the pub
And that was what the Sutton police wanted and the courts before issueing the licence and any management
Some one whom as the nessary experience of a chequered pub on handling people and the villains
I myself was the experience gather of running chequered pubs around brum whom sorted them out and cleaned the pubs up
Of druggies and vagabonds shop lifters bringing stolen products and selling these things in the pubs and for violence
And Sutton knew of me and my experience so they excepted me for the job ,I went to see the owner but he was gleaming
When I said yes because he could get the licence for the joint and I would be movining in on Monday morning
But after learning afew things about him and the pub staffing he told me a pack of lies ,which I learnt from my cousins
And nephews whom was brum market traders of the city whom knew the pub and the gaffer and of a certain incident which he was involved with
A member of staff so I withdrew my licence for it and left him in the lurch for a period of time with no licence he could not operate
So you see why its coming down for years they the police and courts have had enough and as now its the council whom have the powers to closed down a licence house and issue licencences to people where upon years ago its the licensing police officer of the borough and the council now control not the courts
Obvisiouly when the pub breaks the laws they deal with it but I do know for years the police have been trying to closed down a lot of pubs in brum and they are slowly
Shifting them out thank goodness plus the brewers are cutting there own throats by charging high prices plus super markets are stealing there trade
From imported brews best wishes to you all,,,, Astonian,,,,,,,Alan,,,,

A sad fact isn't it Alan and Lyn that in order to 'clean up' a pub it often means destroying it. This pub stands on a large piece of land, so no surprise it's greater value is now in the use of that space. Just seems to all go against what most of us want kept. Despite it's more recent questionable history, it still represents an interesting heritage. Starting from the original H&H (if memory serves, The Greyhound ?) set in its agricultural background to its newer replacement to cope with the inter- war development of the whole area. And there's still evidence of that earlier history in the various cottages nearby. So it's a pity the fabric of the building couldn't be incorporated into a wider residential development. Viv.

Hi viv ,
Yes its a crying shame that is about to happen and a true H,H as you say will be lost
And our world society as lost its plot we have a different society from our ancestors viv sadly from the time back
There is no respect from one human being to another today no thoughts of what so ever
As Elvis said in his record the worlds a stage and we all play our parts now the curtain must come down,
There is no respect for any think nor no one I am afraid today viv everybody is trying to out do everybody
The attitune is jack I am OK couldn't care two hoots for anybody else
Or you could say about people in a postion there are to many cow boys and not enough sherrifs that's another problem
Viv have a nice day and a very merry christmasd to you and a happy new year Alan,, Astonian,,,

A sad fact isn't it Alan and Lyn that in order to 'clean up' a pub it often means destroying it. This pub stands on a large piece of land, so no surprise it's greater value is now in the use of that space. Just seems to all go against what most of us want kept. Despite it's more recent questionable history, it still represents an interesting heritage. Starting from the original H&H (if memory serves, The Greyhound ?) set in its agricultural background to its newer replacement to cope with the inter- war development of the whole area. And there's still evidence of that earlier history in the various cottages nearby. So it's a pity the fabric of the building couldn't be incorporated into a wider residential development. Viv.

i agree with you viv...it is a pity that the building could not have been used in some other way..personally i dont think the petition will stop the redevopement of the ground...

lyn

just been informed by my son who has just driven past that the hare and hounds is on fire...seems to be in the upper part of the building...3 fire engines at the scene...

lyn

Here we go again. A very large piece of land with a building in the way. Am I surprised? No. Viv.

viv i believe it was due for demo to make way for housing...just popped up there..about 8 fire engines there now...only took 20 mins to lose the roof...

Attachments

• HARE AND HOUNDS 17.5.16 002.JPG
    HARE AND HOUNDS 17.5.16 002.JPG
    771.3 KB · Views: 21
  • HARE AND HOUNDS 17.5.16 003.JPG
    HARE AND HOUNDS 17.5.16 003.JPG
    580.4 KB · Views: 21
  • HARE AND HOUNDS 17.5.16 004.JPG
    HARE AND HOUNDS 17.5.16 004.JPG
    717.6 KB · Views: 20
Hi Lynn
Am I right in thinking the pub was still operational after all these years,
If so I hope no/one was hurt do you know whether its had new owners of late or recent
It is what we call a chequered history of a pub ,troublesome pub in more ways than one
As I have said previously in an earlier thread the owner owned a couple of pubs in Sutton
But sadly he could not hold a licence for any of his pubs including the hare and hounds
The only way he could get it licence was to get a licence manger ,and that was a subject of an
Interview by the Sutton Coldfield police licences to meet there requirements
You have to have a proven track record for running a hardened pub, or pubs
You could not be a normal manager to run chequered history pubs with clientals of such a pub
I have run many hard pubs in brum and I had a reputation in cleaning them up
With such riff raft for the brewery to get shut of them and make them happy normal family ordinated
I was granted the pub but finding out later I returned his licence back to the police
Its such a shame how big community pubs get spoilt by morons
I would not be surprised if its the actual end for that pub now
Best wishes and thanks for informing everybody on the forum
I have family living around the rear side of that pub in Birmingham road
Best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,,

alan the pub has been closed for about 3 years now...as said in my previous post i believe it was due for demolision to make way for new housing..

lyn

Hi Lynn
I have just heard from a source that this rioting and fighting going on in the king standing road right now
Obivisiuoly its gang war fare over territory it must be druggs and they will be responsible for the fire
Alan,,Astonian,,

Back