• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hare and Hounds, Kingstanding

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i am really delighted to have come accross a pic of the original hare and hounds pub..kingstanding road..

the pub is to the left of the pic and to the left of that are the cottages which are still there...

pic 1 original hare and hounds....1929

pic 2..the hare and hounds that took its place..dated 1931...

Attachments

• Kingstanding Hare & Hounds.jpg
    Kingstanding Hare & Hounds.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Kingstanding Hare & Hounds original.jpg
    Kingstanding Hare & Hounds original.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 74
Re: hare and hounds..kingstanding.

Are all these pubs your old stomping grounds Lyn. Hope I ain't stepped out of line by saying that. I must be careful what I say:rolleyes::)

Two fantastic finds Lyn! In the first photo you can still see the fields behind the pub, before the 1930s development of the Kingstanding estate. The original pub is much smaller than I imagined. So there must be a third and fourth H&H, the third being the one with the Dutch gables, then wasn't it re-built again? Or have I got one too many pubs ......! :D Viv.

Also just noticed in Lyn's first photo, you can se the photographer's shadow. Marvellous bit of history. Just love it. Viv.

hi viv..yes i also noticed the photographers shadow...i think there has only been 2 hare and hounds but cant swear to that..somewhere on the forum there is another shot of the orginal pub with workmen standing outside...cant recall what thread its on though..

lyn.

Lyn think maybe I've got it mixed up with another pub. :headhit: great photos and thanks for digging these out. Is the H& H still there? Viv.

viv it is still there but closed yet again...the forecourt is being used as a car wash...:rolleyes:

That's a pity. I remember the photo you posted of a group of people in that very car park .... It was a group of mostly men, only a couple of ladies in the picture. Viv.

Found them .... Here the two photos Lyn posted on another thread of the front of the H& H. Viv.

Attachments

• HARE & HOUNDS 1928 A31-N33.jpg
    HARE & HOUNDS 1928 A31-N33.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Kingstanding Holly Lane The Hare & Hounds.jpg
    Kingstanding Holly Lane The Hare & Hounds.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 40

yes froth..the pudding and pint was its kind of nick name....

well done viv..ive posted that many pics i dont know if im coming..going or been...:Dgot loads more to post yet:rolleyes:

Thank you for helping me answer a question...what is that pubs name. I am currently collecting oral histories from the Kingstanding estate and its landmarks. It is a shame that this pub is boarded up now but I'm hopeful that people will be able to recall it in my interviews. Can I ask you where you found the photos and who owns their copy right so I can ask permission to use them in my project. Many Thanks Chris Hillcox www.kingstanding.wordpress.com 07783903096

A relative of Brens ran the pub many years ago. I will try and find out their names?.

Many Thanks. Am I ok to use the digital image posted to see if people can make recollections? I'll post links if any of my interviewees recall the pub. Cheers Chris HIllcox

hi chris...i would think that whoever took the pics i posted would no longer be with us and so you would not be able to contact them... so at a guess there would be no copywrite issues....

good luck with the venture...

lyn

Hi. chrishillcox.
One of the cottages to the left of the Hare and Hounds was "Ryan's Post Office" (Kingstanding Rd.P.O.) Ryan as he was known used to run about in an old three wheel van, it had single wheel at front and was powered by motor bike engine.He owned the field opposite Harringay Road where he grew spuds.etc and he sold them from an old shed just to the left of the gate into field.

hi pembrok..i have posted a pic of the posted a pic the cottage as a post office somewhere on the forum..it could be under the kingstanding thead..its a general store now i use it quite often..

lyn

Last edited:

Hi. Lyn & Vivienne.
Thanks for pic of Ryan's P.O.Should have mentioned I Was thinking back to the late 1940s re.Ryan's P.O. and Ryan's Field.The kids used to refer to Mr.Ryan as "Old Ryan" and we used to buy swedes from him to make lanterns.Pleased to hear the cottages are still standing.
Regards
Pembroke

The parents of a friend of mine Elsie & Bill Edmundson ran the Hare & Hounds in the early 60s. Previously they ran the Church Tavern? in Church Lane, Aston.

Back