• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hare and Hounds, Kingstanding

Re: hare and hounds..kingstanding.

Does anyone remember a waste piece of land opposite the H & H, next to the chip shop. We used to play in there. You had to climb over some concrete fences to get into it. I think we used to get onto the piece of land via an alleyway off Tresham Road. Never worked out if it was bomb damage or left over from the 1930s building scheme. The ground wasn't flat and was full of holes. The shopkeepers along that row of shops next to it used to use it as a bit of a dumping ground. We used to collect tiny bottles from there. Hate to think what had once been in those bottles. Viv.

i am really delighted to have come accross a pic of the original hare and hounds pub..kingstanding road..

the pub is to the left of the pic and to the left of that are the cottages which are still there...

pic 1 original hare and hounds....1929

pic 2..the hare and hounds that took its place..dated 1931...

Amazing images.

Many Thanks for sharing, it was my home for many years:)

My parents ran the pub for around 10 years. We left when I was 16.

I think we moved in around 1971 and left in 81. John & Joan Buck were the licence holders.

I can remember at lot of the old staff too, especially Dolly & Elsie who used to run the lounge and the Bingo nights.
Jerry the Irish barman for many years and old bill bailey.

There are so many more to list.

John my Father died around 8 years ago aged 83, my Mother Joan is still here sitting by me now.

Fond memories :0)

That's a pity. I remember the photo you posted of a group of people in that very car park .... It was a group of mostly men, only a couple of ladies in the picture. Viv.

Lyn I came across this great photo which you originally posted of the farm hands outside the Hare and Hounds pub in 1919. Hope it's Ok if I re-post it for you as I know you probably have enough on your plate posting all your other photos!! It's a great photo of its time as all the farms around the area must have been virtually wiped out with the massive development of Kingstanding in the 1930s. Viv.

Farm_Hands_at_Hare___Hounds_Holly_LaneKingstanding1919.JPG

hi viv no ploblems at all....i will see if i have got the other pics i posted....

lyn

I only went in th H & H once around the late 1960s. My memory of it was of a pretty dark pub inside with lots of dark oak and leaded windows, although it had big windows, it wasn't very bright inside I think. It also had tapestry-type upholstery on the chairs and stools etc. Done up a bit like a coaching inn. But like I say I only ever went in there once. Viv.

Marc do you have a twin brother?. It is a long time ago but I am sure you went to school with my twins?.

Marc do you have a twin brother?. It is a long time ago but I am sure you went to school with my twins?.

Yes I do Jean, his name is Paul and he's off living in sunny Spain. Please tell me more:redface:

A previous poster said it was run by Bill and Elsie Edmundson...It was Edmunds , Elsie was my Aunty (Dads ssister). Went ther in the 60's to many family partys.

Thanks for the correction Len, my friend Pat and her sister Valerie must be your cousins. Sadly lost touch with Pat over the years.

reposting my pics of the hare and hounds..the cottages on the left are still there

this one is of the original pub dated 1929

img520.jpg

new pub dated 1930

img518.jpg

Two great photos Lyn. Maybe the pub was re.built to cope with the trade it expected from the massive 1930s development of Kingstanding. Hadn't realised it was re-built as late as the 1930s. Looks like the 1930s H&H was designed to look much older - like an old coaching inn. Viv.

viv i was told by one of the barmaids some time back that the old tunnels still remain..dont know what they were used for though..shame to see it closed yet again but its been an on and off thing for years now...the forecourt is now used as a car valeting business..

Lyn it'd be interesting to find out what they were used for. Wonder if anyone on the forum knows? This is the first I've heard about it. Wonder where they go to? Wonder if they were to link up to the farms for some reason? (e.g. Warren and Pool Farms?). Viv.

hi viv.yes it would be interesting to find out..i think there is or was open field land at the back of the pub..will try and find out trouble is i doubt if the car valeters will know lol...

What an amazing set of images Astoness, thank you so much for sharing them!

It's amazing to see just how narrow the road was outside the pub and the fields in the distance behind. I had no idea that the bungalow next door was so old, I always thought it was post WW2.
It seems odd to see the extension to the right of the pub where the lounge entrance was.
It really was a grand old inn even for those days. I remember upstairs in the main original kitchen area, there was a large servants a bell box that listed all the rooms. The original phone on the staircase was a two piece bakelight affair, the horn type, one part held to the ear and you spoke into the horn.

I remember finding all sorts of old coins with my metal detector in the back garden, all around the old bowling green there were thousands of old clay pipes littered into the topsoil.

I could share a thousand stories about this place lol

Once again thank you so much for sharing these images.

Marc

hi marc and thank you fo sharing your memories they are brilliant...please keep them coming in...i do have pic of the kingstanding road taken in the early 1900s when it was then called holly lane..do you think i can find it...must be in my files somewhere...will post as soon as i can..

lyn

What an amazing set of images Astoness, thank you so much for sharing them!

It's amazing to see just how narrow the road was outside the pub and the fields in the distance behind. I had no idea that the bungalow next door was so old, I always thought it was post WW2.
It seems odd to see the extension to the right of the pub where the lounge entrance was.
It really was a grand old inn even for those days. I remember upstairs in the main original kitchen area, there was a large servants a bell box that listed all the rooms. The original phone on the staircase was a two piece bakelight affair, the horn type, one part held to the ear and you spoke into the horn.

I remember finding all sorts of old coins with my metal detector in the back garden, all around the old bowling green there were thousands of old clay pipes littered into the topsoil.

I could share a thousand stories about this place lol

Once again thank you so much for sharing these images.

Marc

Puts in perspective how old this part of Kingstanding is Marc. I don't suppose any of those coins were Roman were they?!! Isn't this part of the Roman Icknield Way? Viv.

yes viv the roman road runs more on the right hand side of the kinstanding road as you are going towards the circle so very close to where the hare and hounds stands...

Back