• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harborne

Anthony, I too went to Station Road Junior and Senior School and attended St. John's Church till I left in 1957 aged 18. Wonder if our paths ever crossed. I lived directly opposite the Royalty. Just lifted the curtain and saw what was on. My favourite cinema was the old Harborne in Serpentine Road. I practically lived there. Often wished I'd taken some photo's, but I never imagined it would close. Then it was too late. Harborne was a great place to live and my memories are fond ones. Went back a few years and was amazed at the changes, but then, nothing stands still. People laugh when I tell them about the room in Lewis's with monkeys and parrots and Henry's store that always smelled of gas. I came across the Brumagem (that doesn't look right) magazine. It looks worth investigating.

Anthony, I too went to Station Road Junior and Senior School and attended St. John's Church till I left in 1957 aged 18. Wonder if our paths ever crossed. I lived directly opposite the Royalty. Just lifted the curtain and saw what was on. My favourite cinema was the old Harborne in Serpentine Road. I practically lived there. Often wished I'd taken some photo's, but I never imagined it would close. Then it was too late. Harborne was a great place to live and my memories are fond ones. Went back a few years and was amazed at the changes, but then, nothing stands still. People laugh when I tell them about the room in Lewis's with monkeys and parrots and Henry's store that always smelled of gas. I came across the Brumagem (that doesn't look right) magazine. It looks worth investigating.

I dought our paths crossed as i was only 5 when you left though my Eldest brother Brian Pollard would be of a similar age onlong with the Cockcrofts of serpentine road and Peter Green who lived up the terrace next to Woolworths on the High street you may remember those names or Joey Taylor who lived by Grove Park.

The Huntsman pub has been demolished and fourteen apartments will take it's place.
I have posted this on one of the Pub threads too.
rosie.

Thank`s for that Rosie I had noticed as I walk past there a couple of times a week. Must say thou it will always be known as the Kings Arms to me and Family, having only lived 100 yds from there on Harborne Park Road.
Tony

#527 looks about 1950s (?). Was this photo before or after #522 ? Did England Shoe Shops precede K Shoes ? Viv.

This picture brings back memories. The two-tone Triumph Herald suggests this photo was taken in the early 60's, because the Herald was only launched in 1959 (I think). I think the England shoe shop replaced Bakers shoe shop. The K Shoes label is just to do with the main product being sold I think.

Remember them well used to go in there.My wife was standing outside the sweet shop on a metal coal grid when it collapsed and she fell into the cellar as a child in the late 1950`s. As a 13 year old I used to work in Wrenson`s on Princes Corner and also Murray`s fish and chip shop. Went to St Johns church opposite ravenhurst road before it was knocked down and used to watch the Saturday materny at the Royalty Between 1958 and 1968 I studied at Station road Junior school and Harborne hill .Many happy days in my youth we spent in. Harborne i still go there most weeks as I live only in Quinton

Drove the home delivery van for Wrensons in Harborne on a couple of ocassions.
Murrays ,like Jennings was great for fish and chips eat in.

Especially when their cooking range was coal fired. 3d for a bag of chips or a bigger bag for 4d and cod for 7d. Saturday night was film. night. Fry's 4d cream bar, 6d for an ice cream, three hours at the pictures, and change out of 2/- (10p) Can't believe it now, especially as an ice bun has just gone up to 75p. Used to buy them at Vickers for 2d!! Aren't memories wonderful!!

Especially when their cooking range was coal fired. 3d for a bag of chips or a bigger bag for 4d and cod for 7d. Saturday night was film. night. Fry's 4d cream bar, 6d for an ice cream, three hours at the pictures, and change out of 2/- (10p) Can't believe it now, especially as an ice bun has just gone up to 75p. Used to buy them at Vickers for 2d!! Aren't memories wonderful!!
My uncle Reg Alexander was the baker at Vickers, they lived at one time just round the corner in Grays Road.
Bob

I tried some colour on the old postcard pic but it was a cloudy day so colours are subdued .... and probably not the colours Miss Butler would have seen when she looked out of her shop window ...:)
View attachment 122510

The bus in the distance would be the No 12,Bartley Green, or the 21/22 Selly Oak via Weoley Castle
The square faced clock is,i think, outside Murrays Fish and Chip restaurant. A real treat to eat in.

Anthony,

There was another sweet shop/newsagent either closer to the Duke of York or perhaps next to the Mews Garage. It was there that I bought my Eagle comic and 2 oz pointed bag of sweets each Friday. Can you recall the name? There was also a 'toy shop' or fancy goods shop near to Serpentine road where I bought my 'Buntline Special' and holster - just like Wyatt Earp. It was not always a toy shop and not a patch on the fantastic toy shop towards the centre of Harborne where I spent most of my pocket money on Corgi model cars (always preferred Corgi to Dinky). However, I loved that Buntline Special and was pretty fast on the draw, as well as being able to spin it round my finger before holstering it - just like John Wayne!

The best toy shop was Stevensons,(spelling may be incorrect), in the High St, just below Jennings Fish and Chip shop.

The bus in the distance would be the No 12,Bartley Green, or the 21/22 Selly Oak via Weoley Castle
The square faced clock is,i think, outside Murrays Fish and Chip restaurant. A real treat to eat in.
I guess it is the 12, pyewacket, as the cars look too old for the 21/22 routes which until 1955 were Kingstanding & Bordesley Green East 21 and Bolton Road 22.

I think this shop used to sell cigarettes in ones or twos , as well as a variety of exotic brands.
Extra long fags called 'Joysticks' and coloured Sobrani Cocktail cigs
Yes, one or two's, I have heard of that. When folks had less money to burn some cigarette manufacturers made packs of five, There was more choice, it seems with packets of ten and now - considering the very high price that cigarettes appear to cost only packs of twenty I believe are available. For younger Members and non smokers I mention that some manufacturers made packs of twenty five and tins of fifty and one hundred. The curiosity was Kensitas who did a twenty pack, which in fact was twenty four and marketed as four for your friends.

Back