• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harborne

I went to Station road infant and Junior school in around 1958 and left in 63 My eldest brother went to school in the clock tower on the corner of High street and York street Have lived in and around this area all my life and have plenty of happy memories.

This takes me back. especially those cars. I see a Daimler (p0ssibly a Majestic), Morris Minor Traveller, Riley and (I think) Standard Vanguard. The last time I visited Rose Road you would have been pushed to find a parking space. Chad Valley toys were great and the fire station in Rose Road was iconic - just what a fire station should look like.

old harborne.jpg
This Passage way has been mentioned several time on the forum but it looks nothing like this now.

I remember cycling at speed along Vivian Road heading for High Street and with my mind not on the traffic (very much lighter then). I think I was probably about twelve. I went straight across the junction without stopping and remain eternally grateful to the alert car driver coming from the direction of the Royalty who saw me before I saw him and braked to a halt.

I remember cycling at speed along Vivian Road heading for High Street and with my mind not on the traffic (very much lighter then). I think I was probably about twelve. I went straight across the junction without stopping and remain eternally grateful to the alert car driver coming from the direction of the Royalty who saw me before I saw him and braked to a halt.

hello lucky BrumBum, a child making the same mistake today would almost certainly be injured or worse. When my wife and I go into Harborne for a bit of shopping (twice a week) we use Vivian Road. I also had the TOA radio system installed in my taxi in the latter part of the 70s and through the eighties.

Vivienne, the picture you have in post #5 is Serpentine Road in Harborne not Selly Oak. Edit. Moved this post to this thread.

The photo of Morgans shop above (later Tennants) brought back so many memories. They sold a tremendous variety of foreign sweets like Turkish Delight in a funny looking box and perfumed cashews. I loved Keilers Fruit creams and bought them whenever I could afford them. Does anyone remember Lin-go-fizz? Pink (kayli) powder that fizzed in your mouth. Wonderful stuff. A little old couple had a shop in Greenfield road, opp the New Inn and they'd sell you 2oz. The man had a humpty back and his wife was quite small.

This takes me back. especially those cars. I see a Daimler (p0ssibly a Majestic), Morris Minor Traveller, Riley and (I think) Standard Vanguard. The last time I visited Rose Road you would have been pushed to find a parking space. Chad Valley toys were great and the fire station in Rose Road was iconic - just what a fire station should look like.
Yes Standard Vanguard, but the Mark 2 with the rear wheel covered introduced 1949/50. The one that is my avatar was the first model and uncovered back wheel.

I don't think that ladies holding hands was unacceptable at any time in the past, it was just questionable for gentlemen. However things do seem to have changed in many respects where all manner of gestures seem permissible today. :eek:
However holding on to each other sometimes had a severe disadvantage. A large store in Newton Abbot (Devon) had escalators. Often two women, arm in arm, would attempt to get onto the moving staircase. As there was insufficient room for both one would be in a 'moving upwards ' position, the other still stationary! The result would be that both would fall down due to the stationary lady dragging the other backwards. Staff would always be alert to this possibility and quickly hit the STOP button. An ambulance was then summoned. This happened most weeks!! :oops:

harborne stn 1934.jpg

harborne stn.jpg
The first pic is Harborne Stn. in 1934. I do not have a date for the second pic.

Back