• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harborne

Carolina,
What a crying shame to see the old Royalty in this state. It was such a beautiful and impressive cinema in its heyday. We have such a poor record of looking after our heritage in this country. Bad enough to find that the old Royalty had to go through the ignominy of being a bingo hall and now to see it derelict.

Just as a supplementary point, the photo I saw, under another thread, of the Royalty as a bingo hall suggested the photo was taken in the 1950s. I don't think that is correct. The Royalty was definitely a cinema into the 1960s - I know because I went there during my time at grammar school, which was in the '60s.

Just as a supplementary point, the photo I saw, under another thread, of the Royalty as a bingo hall suggested the photo was taken in the 1950s. I don't think that is correct. The Royalty was definitely a cinema into the 1960s - I know because I went there during my time at grammar school, which was in the '60s.

BrumBrum, my wife worked at the Royalty when it was a Bingo Hall, this was in the early 70s

New to this site My name is Tony Pollard I was born and bred on Harborne park road 100 yds from the Kings arms I remember a lot of the old shops Morgan`s sweet shop Butchers next to it then came the outdoor opposite ther was prince`s corner where you had Wimbush`s the paper shop run by Mary Watkins the post office, Masons, Wrensons and a chemist.In Albert walk you had hairdresser`s Sid`s barber`s come toy shop and the pet shop opposite the pet shop there was like a mini garden centre where I used to fetch paraffin for my Mom MY old Dr`s used to be in albert road I think his name was Crosby Just a little insight of my youth in Harborne Many happy memory`s still live local now and often walk into harborne

Welcome to the Forum Anthony. If you still live locally then you will know how much remains in that part of Harborne. Your mention of the Kings Arms means that you are aware of the derelict state that the pub is in after the fire a few years back.

Call me Tony David the Kings arms is a shell half brick building with no roof . The top end of Harborne has changed beyond belief the site of Murry`s chip shop along where the old Mew`s garage was is now a Old age people`s home The Duke of York is flats

New to this site My name is Tony Pollard I was born and bred on Harborne park road 100 yds from the Kings arms I remember a lot of the old shops Morgan`s sweet shop Butchers next to it then came the outdoor opposite ther was prince`s corner where you had Wimbush`s the paper shop run by Mary Watkins the post office, Masons, Wrensons and a chemist.In Albert walk you had hairdresser`s Sid`s barber`s come toy shop and the pet shop opposite the pet shop there was like a mini garden centre where I used to fetch paraffin for my Mom MY old Dr`s used to be in albert road I think his name was Crosby Just a little insight of my youth in Harborne Many happy memory`s still live local now and often walk into harborne

Its a long time since I visited Harborne and longer still since I lived there. Reading everyone's post has brought back a lot of memories - even if some of them are a bit hazy! Did you or others ever try Wimbush's individual trifles? They were a rare treat in my childhood, but delicious. I can still 'taste' the cake mixture base. Not sure what was in it, but I could have eaten it until it came out of my ears. We had a paraffin heater too. A very early form of central heating if you put it in the middle of the room! Branches of Masons and Wrensons were all over the place in my youth, but always more expensive than the good old Co-op according to my Mum - I can still remember our dividend number and travelling to the Beehive with Mum at the end of the year to spend the divvy money. I see from your other post that the Duke of York is now flats. I guess that means it has been demolished to make way for flats. How do people navigate or give directions these days without referring to pub names and how do bus passengers say where they want to go to? Do people still say they want to go to the Duke of York? Opposite the Duke of York (next to the Baths) there used to be a fascinating little terrace that I used to walk through with my Mum on the way through to Milford Road. Was it called Frankley Terrace? Is that still there? It always struck me as that bit different.

Its a long time since I visited Harborne and longer still since I lived there. Reading everyone's post has brought back a lot of memories - even if some of them are a bit hazy! Did you or others ever try Wimbush's individual trifles? They were a rare treat in my childhood, but delicious. I can still 'taste' the cake mixture base. Not sure what was in it, but I could have eaten it until it came out of my ears. We had a paraffin heater too. A very early form of central heating if you put it in the middle of the room! Branches of Masons and Wrensons were all over the place in my youth, but always more expensive than the good old Co-op according to my Mum - I can still remember our dividend number and travelling to the Beehive with Mum at the end of the year to spend the divvy money. I see from your other post that the Duke of York is now flats. I guess that means it has been demolished to make way for flats. How do people navigate or give directions these days without referring to pub names and how do bus passengers say where they want to go to? Do people still say they want to go to the Duke of York? Opposite the Duke of York (next to the Baths) there used to be a fascinating little terrace that I used to walk through with my Mum on the way through to Milford Road. Was it called Frankley Terrace? Is that still there? It always struck me as that bit different.

Hi Brum Brum yes the terrace still stands and all houses occupied the swimming baths was pulled down about 3 years ago and a new state of the art swimming pool and gym was built.

As Tony says the terrace is still there although the first two houses from Lordswood Road have been demolished but their outside toilets are still there!

The terrace was gated so I don't know how you got through. I have been asked on a couple of occasions if the houses were originally back to backs but it does not look like it as they all have large gardens behind. The odd thing about these houses is that the outside toilets are across the pathway outside the front doors.

When the baths were to be demolished I did ask if the impressive 1920s doorway could be preserved. When the work was done I was told that the decoration was plaster and could not be preserved but a replica has been created and you can see it on the wall inside the new building. So sometimes you can have an effect on preserving valuable features of buildings.

Its a long time since I visited Harborne and longer still since I lived there. Reading everyone's post has brought back a lot of memories - even if some of them are a bit hazy! Did you or others ever try Wimbush's individual trifles? They were a rare treat in my childhood, but delicious. I can still 'taste' the cake mixture base. Not sure what was in it, but I could have eaten it until it came out of my ears. We had a paraffin heater too. A very early form of central heating if you put it in the middle of the room! Branches of Masons and Wrensons were all over the place in my youth, but always more expensive than the good old Co-
Welcome to the Forum Anthony. If you still live locally then you will know how much remains in that part of Harborne. Your mention of the Kings Arms means that you are aware of the derelict state that the pub is in after the fire a few years back.

according to my Mum - I can still remember our dividend number and travelling to the Beehive with Mum at the end of the year to spend the divvy money. I see from your other post that the Duke of York is now flats. I guess that means it has been demolished to make way for flats. How do people navigate or give directions these days without referring to pub names and how do bus passengers say where they want to go to? Do people still say they want to go to the Duke of York? Opposite the Duke of York (next to the Baths) there used to be a fascinating little terrace that I used to walk through with my Mum on the way through to Milford Road. Was it called Frankley Terrace? Is that still there? It always struck me as that bit different.
As Tony says the terrace is still there although the first two houses from Lordswood Road have been demolished but their outside toilets are still there!

The terrace was gated so I don't know how you got through. I have been asked on a couple of occasions if the houses were originally back to backs but it does not look like it as they all have large gardens behind. The odd thing about these houses is that the outside toilets are across the pathway outside the front doors.

When the baths were to be demolished I did ask if the impressive 1920s doorway could be preserved. When the work was done I was told that the decoration was plaster and could not be preserved but a replica has been created and you can see it on the wall inside the new building. So sometimes you can have an effect on preserving valuable features of buildings.

Those toilets have nearly all been converted into sheds there were never any back to back houses down Frankley Terrace I was born in a back to back house in Summerville Terrace back of 47 Harborne Park Road which was owned by the Wedgeburys at the top of our terrace we could climb over the wall on onto the bowling green of the vine pub

I can't recall whether Frankley Terrace was gated but, as I said, it always felt a bit different. With hindsight, perhaps that is why and because it felt a little intrusive to walk through the terrace - as if we were walking through someone's garden. From what you say, perhaps we were, but we were never challenged. Just a mother and her small son after all. I was sorry to learn the old swimming baths had been demolished. I suppose I should call them 'Public Baths', because that is what they were at a time when not everyone had access to their own bathroom. Well done David on retaining some record of what was there. I can remember going to the café after a dip and enjoying a cup of Cow and Gate (do they still make that?) and a toffee bar.

Cow and Gate is now purely baby foods and is owned by a Dutch company. The company is named after its trademark of a cow looking through a gate but in fact the company was founded by the Gates family. After the last of the Gates had died the company merged with United Dairies to form Unigate. Eventually the Cow and Gate business was sold and Unigate changed its name to Uniq

For anyone out there Harborne was and still is my stomping ground AS a teen I worked every paper shop in Harborne also Wrensons and Murrays chip shop .The sweet shop was called Morgans then Tennants I have seen Loads of changes down the years I went to Station road Junior and infant schools and on to Harborne hill Where I had the Honour of representing the school in both the Villa cup final played at Villa park May 8th 1968 and also at Warwickshire cricket in the docker sheild final I think the same year Happy memoir`s

My great grandfather died at an early age in a works accident in the factory where he worked and eventually great grandmama Fanny (nee Westwood) remarried William hemming or Hemmings and in the years between the wars one of William Hemmings sons, either Frank or Walter was an attendant at Harborne baths. I believe he was there for a number of years. Unfortunately with all the family passed on, although it was mentioned 'en passant', nothing was ever written down

Bob Davis

I have just found I had a relative living 189 High Street Harborne in the 1920s. Would anyone have a map to show me whereabouts it would be. I know he was a grocer so it may be a shop. Thanks.

I have just found I had a relative living 189 High Street Harborne in the 1920s. Would anyone have a map to show me whereabouts it would be. I know he was a grocer so it may be a shop. Thanks.

If you type the address into Google Maps. Then use the street view you will see that that address is now a hairdressers shop

Yes David I did that after I put my request on. Very interesting. They also had 17 Margaret Road which is a beautiful house. All the time I lived around the area and never knew I'd had ancestors living there. It was my grandfathers sister.

I have come across this photo posted by Phil on another thread. This shows Albert Walk know as The Stumps and the reason for the name. The Kings Arms pub across the the road is now a burnt out wreck.
125 Kings Arms.JPG

For anyone out there Harborne was and still is my stomping ground AS a teen I worked every paper shop in Harborne also Wrensons and Murrays chip shop .The sweet shop was called Morgans then Tennants I have seen Loads of changes down the years I went to Station road Junior and infant schools and on to Harborne hill Where I had the Honour of representing the school in both the Villa cup final played at Villa park May 8th 1968 and also at Warwickshire cricket in the docker sheild final I think the same year Happy memoir`s
Anthony,

There was another sweet shop/newsagent either closer to the Duke of York or perhaps next to the Mews Garage. It was there that I bought my Eagle comic and 2 oz pointed bag of sweets each Friday. Can you recall the name? There was also a 'toy shop' or fancy goods shop near to Serpentine road where I bought my 'Buntline Special' and holster - just like Wyatt Earp. It was not always a toy shop and not a patch on the fantastic toy shop towards the centre of Harborne where I spent most of my pocket money on Corgi model cars (always preferred Corgi to Dinky). However, I loved that Buntline Special and was pretty fast on the draw, as well as being able to spin it round my finger before holstering it - just like John Wayne!

Back