• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harborne

Here are some pictures from today. They are still working on the residential section, but some of the eateries are open now. Doesn't it look splendid after it's restoration?

Here are the ones taken round the back

clock-tower-2.jpg clock-tower-1.jpg clock-tower-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
#510, are these photo's of an old Catholic Junior School in Harborne, my mom sent me to one when I was about 7 and I hated it, I was bullied badly, she moved me to one in Weoley castle, cannot remember its name, but I remember it was very similar in style to these photo's. Paul

There is a Catholic junior school St Mary's in Vivien Road. There was a small private school also in Harborne whose name I have forgotten run by four monks who had a bad reputation for bullying.

My dad lived in Harborne from birth in 1936 till he got married when he was 21...... Family name of Wilby his dad and granddad opened and ran the Wilby bicycle works etc

Hi
When was your sister there as i was one of the last people to have a baby there,l may know her my daughter was born September 1968.

Hi, I came across this forum and thread while searching for information about Harborne Industrial School. I think my grandfather may have been one of the 'inmates' (as per 1911 census) and I was hoping that somebody may know where the records for the school are held or who I would need to contact for further information.

I am not entirely sure I have the right person, but this is a very strong possibility, the records may hold some clues that could confirm whether or not I have found the right person. My grandfather was called George Alfred Davies (or Davis), known as 'Brum', and although I don't know his age, because I only have basic records such as my Dads birth certificate, the one in Harborne would be the same age group as my grandmother (who's another mystery but at least I have her death certificate showing an approximate age!)

I hope somebody on here can help!

Regards
Sandra

Hi Sandra and welcome to the Forum. I think any records of the Harborne Industrial School will be in the Archives of the Library of Birmingham. For history of the school try the search box at the top right of this page using Martineau Centre to search. However for a quick read about the school go to https://www.qlhs.org.uk/oracle/2010-martineau/index.htm

The Martineau Centre as the school campus became is now the subject of an appeal over a refusal of planning permission for building houses and a search in Google will find you other information

I haven't properly introduced myself, I joined a couple of weeks ago. Regarding the Harborne reservoir, I stumbled across this useful site

https://www.watrmill.bham.sch.uk/ch...-project/research-in-2010/harborne-reservoir/

Welcome to the Forum, Harbornite and I add my thanks for your post of this information. What I find interesting, reading through the children's work, is that the land was sold to the canal company by Jervoise Clarke Jervoise. The Jervoise name is perpetuated in the nearby area of Weoley Castle in the name of a road and a school. In medieval time Jervoise was the name of one of the families which owned Dudley Castle and what I call their "weekend country cottage" Weoley Castle.

Thanks for the photo's of the reservoir. I can only remember two large square holes with water constantly pouring into them with no protective fencing round them just as you entered. Amazed it's all disappeared without trace, but then, Harborne's changed so much since the 40's/50's. Especially the top end. Barely recognisable now.

Fascinating reading all the memories, my gran used to live in Grays Road, opposite The Green Man and Metchley Lane, her son in law worked at Vickers? the bakers, my great uncle was George Davis who owned the vegetable shop in High Street and whose pigeon brought the news of the opening of the water supply at Bala to the City, Carl ?? did an article on it. My grandfather's brother and sister lived in Serpentine Road and the husband of one of his relations was an attendant at the Baths. On a Saturday I would have to walk the accumulator up to the electrical shop in High Street and get back in time for the football results and if Villa won I then had to go out and get the 'Argus'. The family names were Davis, Durows and Smallwood. The works that took in Metchley Lane, Duckpool Lane etc etc were a Saturday afternoon treat. The other much remembered moment was when goin to town from Harborne to go back to Erdington the 3a that arrived was one of the brand new Daimlers 1481 onwards, this was 1483 (GOE 483) only just delivered on its first run.

Fascinating reading all the memories, my gran used to live in Grays Road, opposite The Green Man and Metchley Lane, her son in law worked at Vickers? the bakers, my great uncle was George Davis who owned the vegetable shop in High Street and whose pigeon brought the news of the opening of the water supply at Bala to the City, Carl ?? did an article on it. My grandfather's brother and sister lived in Serpentine Road and the husband of one of his relations was an attendant at the Baths. On a Saturday I would have to walk the accumulator up to the electrical shop in High Street and get back in time for the football results and if Villa won I then had to go out and get the 'Argus'. The family names were Davis, Durows and Smallwood. The works that took in Metchley Lane, Duckpool Lane etc etc were a Saturday afternoon treat. The other much remembered moment was when goin to town from Harborne to go back to Erdington the 3a that arrived was one of the brand new Daimlers 1481 onwards, this was 1483 (GOE 483) only just delivered on its first run.

I believe the Vickers bakery was built in 1953 on the site of some old 18th Century cottages, the bakery was demolished in the 1980's and replaced with replica cottages.

Thanks for the photo's of the reservoir. I can only remember two large square holes with water constantly pouring into them with no protective fencing round them just as you entered. Amazed it's all disappeared without trace, but then, Harborne's changed so much since the 40's/50's. Especially the top end. Barely recognisable now.

I'm aware that the site was used to store cars for scrapping, and the old white house outside was half- demolished circa 2008.

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked at Harborne Post office as a teen`agera s a Telegram Boy Went skating on Harborne Rezza very often and had a nasty experience one day when the ice started cracking badly

Many thanks, I drove through there recently on a memory trip and noticed the new houses, I also drove down Grays Road and was surprised how smart all the houses look nowadays. They always seemed so drab and dark when I was a boy. By the way I did not work Metchley Lane, I walked it with my aunts. By the way anyone on the forum have any knowledge of Durows it was my nan's maiden name and whilst we have her grandfather and grandmothers names, we have only sketchy details on them and no trace of Births or Marriages.

The electoral rolls list:
1912 James Durow no 7 court 13 Sherbourn st
1930-1939 William & Elsie May Durow, 59 Dolphin Lane
1945 William, Doris & Elsie May Durow, 59 Dolphin Lane
1947 William, William J & Elsie May Durow, 59 Dolphin Lane
1950-1955 William J & Elsie May Durow, 59 Dolphin Lane
1957 William J & Elsie May Durow, 59 Dolphin Lane
1957 William J & Norah M Durow , 142 Severne Road
1960- 1965 William J & Norah M Durow , 12 Pollard Road

This is only looking at Durows, not any other surnames in the house. Last online electoral roll is 1965

Thanks a lot, I notice that there is no s at the end, but I will check back the info I have to see if any tie up

Back