• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harborne

Hi Anthea Paul,

Park Hill/Rose rd years ago,
i
ParkHillRoad.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hi Liz
My how everything has changed now, (Photo's) I have this mental picture in my mind which is now 55yrs old and bears no resemblance to what Harborne looks like now. I know it's silly but I feel quite sad and a little upset and am in mourning for the old Harborne where I had so much fun, and have such happy memories, but in reflecting its really that I am mourning for my childhood and Youth like all generations before. Imagine coming back from the Victorian times and trying to find that Harborne.
paul

:shocked:paul i am suprised how much it has changed the little bit on the 2nd photo looks much the same,the house with the white door and
the cat in the window is where i lived, but the 4th one,where the police station should be i was very surprised,i know what you mean its like someone has taken something of you,strange how we react to change isn't it, i will post a few more that my nephew sent
take care

I think these maybe more how you remember it,the fire station is now apartments:)
and i think the fire station is where the Chad valley used to be
k
6869_8old_IMG_01_0__4_jpg.jpeg

Hi Paul, I don't know if you remember but your mom worked at a large house in Metchley Lane. I remember going to see her there with nan. I remember the powder blue carpet all through. I was awestruck. Do you remember the house, or were you too young??????????? - Pam

There is a care home next door so it could have all been the same site. I work at the medical centre so I know the area quite well. They are in the process of pulling down the poor old swimming baths.

There is a care home next door so it could have all been the same site. I work at the medical centre so I know the area quite well. They are in the process of pulling down the poor old swimming baths.
Oh right that would explain thanks for that, yes i have heard about the swimming baths there is a photo on here of the design of the new one they will be building
the photo of the swimming baths is on Harborne baths thread

I had a look on Google Maps and was able to pay a virtual visit to Harborne High Street and down Station Road where I saw my old Secondary Modern School which is now a Primary School. I am so pleased the old red brick school is still standing. Also the Royalty (old cinema now bingo hall) is still there. Lots of new buildings, but still a lot of the old ones. Opposite the Library is the old urinal along the side of the Junction pub - very convenient!!

Anthea.

Hi Anthea yes it was a Primary school when my brother went there in the 60s,yes and the Royalty,i lived right by there,i was
married in St Johns down opposite the library,was it there when you lived there

Hi Liz, Yes, as you mentioned earlier, you lived three houses down from the flower shop in Station Road. I was so pleased to see my old school still standing and still being used as a Primary school now. I do remember St John's opposite the library. The last time I came through Harborne High Street was in 1997 and haven't been there since, but as I said in my #61 post it was lovely to be able to have a look around Harborne via virtual Google Maps. Anthea.

I found this link on another thread (forgotten which one :rolleyes:) which has some interesting info on Harborne from 1066 to more recent and some nice pics (inc one of the Fire Station - I used to love that head sticking out!) at https://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-h/harborne/ -- seems to have something on every area of Birmingham

I've started a separate thread on the Moorpool Estate/Harborne Tenants if anyone has specific memories and pics they wish to share of that area of Harborne at https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=30747

Just found a few of the Francis Frith photos of Harborne at https://www.francisfrith.com/harborne/photos/ in the 50s/60s. One of the Swimming Baths, particularly like the ones of the Bell (surely rare to have a pub on consecrated ground - I believe only example but I may be wrong) & Green Man, always faves, and the poor old Duke of York (sadly demised).

That picture house was the "Old Harborne" Paul,it was in Serpentine Rd.:)

I think (but maybe someone can confirm) that the flea pit is now the Harborne Village Social Club - picture here https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&...p=12,293.52,,0,-11.48&cid=4390080705763619834 In my living memory (feels long enough) it has always been the Working Mens club although it does seem to be declining as this year I have moved up to membership number 179. Last time I was up there I noticed with horror that the Kings Arms is boarded up arrggh! as you can see if you click and hold on the image and drag to the right

And another thing...when I was v.small (long before they pulled down the Duke of York and all around it) there was a wonderful old sweetshop on the corner of Serpentine Road - anyone remember it (it may be a figment of my alcohol fevered imagination) or what it was called?

Aiden,
That picture is the "Old Harborne",and yes, there was a sweet shop on the corner of Serpentine Rd.,once bought half a pound of treacle toffee in there and ate the lot in the cinema,left me with a raging thirst.:rolleyes:

View attachment 50792I thought i had put this on its in my album,can't remember the name even though i went in there most days
12454_184361196950_651146950_3433827_299889_n.jpg

Thanks Ray

Elizabeth - what a picture! Thanks. Nostalgic thoughts flood in when I see that window packed with goodies. Whatever its name was I don't think it was Players No.6 that is topping the window!

Back