• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harborne

M

mike-g

My younger son was born at Lordswood maternity hospital in 1969. I belive this has now gone.

My younger son was born at Lordswood maternity hospital in 1969. I belive this has now gone.

My mom was born here as well in 1947 in the worst winter ever. i don't know what the building is now or even if it still exists.

Hi my sisters had children in Lordswood Maternity hospital,the last one born there in 1968,it has gone i think the police station is on that site now,the hospital has been gone for quite some time

hi liz
is the police station opposite the royalty still there.
paul
Hi Paul no its not, and i have just been told that it isn't in Lordswod Road,The Police Station is in Rose Road, and i think its a carehome where the maternity hospital was, but its a new building

I lived right opposite the police station when i lived in Harborne,nearly next door to the undertakers,and i worked at the little COOP round the corner,Woolworths,Chad Valley,and a place where they made optics all 5 mins from my house

hi liz
thanks for that I hope you don't mind these questions but I cannot remember names now some 55 yrs on but I had a mate who lived in the prefabs on the road which went towards selly oak that started at the green man and went past the blue coat school then down a hill, the prefabs were on the left. what was the name of the road if you remember.
paul

hi liz
thanks for that I hope you don't mind these questions but I cannot remember names now some 55 yrs on but I had a mate who lived in the prefabs on the road which went towards selly oak that started at the green man and went past the blue coat school then down a hill, the prefabs were on the left. what was the name of the road if you remember.
paul
Hi Paul do you mean Metchley Lane,thats where the Green Man is and i think the road you mean is Barlows Rd the road that goes down to Selly Oak from Metchley Lane is Harborne lane

Green man harborne looks the same i think lizhttps://images.birminghamhistory.co.uk/coppermine/displayimage.php?pid=6385
190893_183221391722437_100001037338593_462687_3855540_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hi liz
absolutly the same and yes I do remember metchley lane, I suppose the prefabs have all gone now, thanks .
regards
paul

Hi Paul, gosh i think the prefabs probably came down a long time ago,most of Harborne High St i believe is much the same,
but they seem to have taken bits out, Woolworths for instance and a couple of buildings to the side of it were demolished years
ago,they built a new Safeway store and car park,which i understand is now Waitrose. When did you last see Harborne, liz

hi liz
paul

Hi Paul, There were lots of prefabs in Vincent drive on the left hand side of the road and it's quite a hill.

Jean

Hi Jean and Paul, there has been a lot of redevelopment around there in recent years, i dont think you would find the prefabs
there now,they have built such large extensions on to the Queen Elizabeth hospital,that come right up to Vincent drive,if you know how to use google earth you could look at some of it, liz

hi liz
A long long time ago Liz, I left Brum on the 24th April 1964 and sadly never came back again periodically, for leave but never for long, now with my memory impaired I remember snatches and cannot evaluate them in to a time period and only in snatches, but I dearly love the city which gave me life (and may I add bronchitis) I think of it now all the time and when I get a memory I put it on the forum. It brings alive again my dear departed mom and dad, and friends long forgotten which suddenly reappear as if by magic. I cannot tell you how much the forum means to me and others who probably left years ago. My dear old Dad always said Paul as you grow steadily older you remember more of your youth than the present day, as usual he was right. I am very appreciable of your time and patience thank you.
paul

Hi Paul you left there just before i went to live there,I am more than happy to chat about Birmingham,no need for thanks, the
forum is great like you say you see something which brings back another memory and the great thing lots of people to share
them with,liz

Here is a blast from the past Paul the Junction do you remember it,,,
264846836859096.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The picture of the Junction brought back memories for me. I went to school in Station Road (1948-1952) opposite the Royalty cinema. I think there was an undertakers on the corner of Station Road and the police station was nearby. In those days school dinner hour lasted two hours 12pm-2pm. Time was spent in the Library by the Junction. The Library building was a former Masonic Hall. Time was also spent usually in Summer, reading the inscriptions on the tombstones in St Peter's Church graveyard - a bit morbid, but it passed the time until we had to get back for the afternoon lessons. I also remember there used to be a horse trough directly outside the Junction which I believe is buried at the spot where it once stood. Anthea.

Hi Paul, Anthea, it does look like they have given the junction a bit of a face lift,Anthea i lived 2 doors away from the undertakers,the royalty is now a bingo hall,and i think the library is still there,my brother went to that school,and the police station i believe is in Rose Rd
is this your school

Hello Liz, Nice to see the picture of the J & I school on the High Street. I have never seen a photo of my school, which is a pity. Station Road school closed about a year after I left there and 'pupils' as we were called then were transferred to the new school in Harborne Hill. If your brother went to Station Road school he would remember Mr Stanton the Headteacher and Mr Abel his Deputy.

On the Schools and Schoolfriends section on the Forum, there are 3 threads which relate to Station Road school. There are a couple of photos which show the Head and Deputy, football team and 'pupils'.

Back