• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Harborne Railway

I saw a loco shunting at Hagley Road Station on at least two occasions. I have a vague idea that I could have seen steam or a train when I was much younger traveling on a bus either on Hagley Road or City Road

I saw a loco shunting at Hagley Road Station on at least two occasions. I have a vague idea that I could have seen steam or a train when I was much younger traveling on a bus either on Hagley Road or City Road
Oh I see! If it was city road then the loco would probably have been one of the Mitchells and Butlers locomotives that were used for shunting goods wagons round their brewery at Cape Hill. Can you remember if the locomotive was a tender or tank engine?

On another note, here's some more pictures of the branch: https://www.keithhoban.com/harbranch.htm

I have also seen both videos on youtube of railtours that visited the branch, one was in 1959 and the other was in 1963.

The locos I saw shunting in Hagley Road Station were tank engines. I cannot be more specific as, surprisingly perhaps, I was never a trainspotter in spite of the hours I spent on both New Street and Snow Hill watching the trains. My interest was more in watching the operations than in identifying and recording engines

Hello! I'm doing research on the M&B railway that spurred off the Harborne branch near Rotton Park, ran down the side of the sports pitches, under city road and past another sports areas and into the brewery. Love to speak with anyone who has memories of the railway, worked on the railway or has any photos of the railway. I've also got a bit a of mystery that I'm hoping you might be able to solve.

I would sometimes play on a derelict "Bomb site" next to the line on the south side of Hagley Road, and would sometimes see a train coming from Harborne. A few coal trucks and vans probably from the Chad Valley toy factory. I also saw the very last train, an ex LMS 'black five' I think, hauling bogie flat wagons, with a caterpillar-tracked crane following it lifting the track sections onto the wagons. :-(

Back