• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Happy Valley Yardley Wood

Can anyone identify this photo please, where it might have been taken and possible time - 1900's ?
A family contact in Australia has sent me some old family photographs of our mutual family who lived in Birmingham, hoping I can identify them. The wooden railings look typical of what would have been in parks at that time, but the boats look to be on a canal. I think it is a great photo. View attachment 144464
This is Happy Valley in Yardley Wood:

IMG_2777.jpeg

Happy Valley. Yardley Wood, c. 1913.
“Situated between Alcester Lanes End and the Maypole, crowds thronged the area on summer weekends. Boats and punts could be hired and day trippers could buy tea at the wooden bungalows and huts and sit at the tables provided outside. A cub of tea during those summer weekend excursions was fundamental to their enjoyment. There was also an open stage where parrots would perform to keep the crowds amused.”

(The story of Ty-phoo and the Birmingham tea industry by Williams. Ken)

Can anyone identify this photo please, where it might have been taken and possible time - 1900's ?
A family contact in Australia has sent me some old family photographs of our mutual family who lived in Birmingham, hoping I can identify them. The wooden railings look typical of what would have been in parks at that time, but the boats look to be on a canal. I think it is a great photo. View attachment 144464
Happy valley Yardley Wood

Attachments

• 1691336457289.png
    1691336457289.png
    815.3 KB · Views: 13
View attachment 182894

Happy Valley. Yardley Wood, c. 1913.
“Situated between Alcester Lanes End and the Maypole, crowds thronged the area on summer weekends. Boats and punts could be hired and day trippers could buy tea at the wooden bungalows and huts and sit at the tables provided outside. A cub of tea during those summer weekend excursions was fundamental to their enjoyment. There was also an open stage where parrots would perform to keep the crowds amused.”

(The story of Ty-phoo and the Birmingham tea industry by Williams. Ken)
This notification appeared in my e-mails yesterday - thank you for sending Pedrocut that's a good photo - but I wanted to ask about the entry in brackets - The Story of Ty-phoo and the Birmingham tea industry by Ken Williams. I am interested in that book because my grandfather was a tea mixer with Warriner & Mason in early 1900's and I have always wanted to find out more. Is that book still available do you know ?

Back