• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hannah MacDonald from Birmingham

DeanaCJ

Hi, I am looking for a Hannah MacDonald born 1842 in Aston, Birmingham to Joseph MacDonald and Mary Ann Skidmore. I've had her as a brick wall and have had your site suggested to me for help in breaking it.
What I know is that Hannah was born and baptised to Joseph and Mary Ann in 1842. Sadly Mary Ann died and by 1851 Joseph was with Jane Dingley. Hannah lived with them and other siblings until 1861 where she is in the census with them again but after that she disappears. I have looked into the marriages and deaths I have come across for Hannah MacDonald's in the Warwickshire area and have come up blank. Is anyone able to give a suggestion in how I can move forward on this please,

Thank you for your time

I suspect that the Hannah Macdonald with them in 1851 and 1861 is actually the illegitimate daughter of Jane Dingley.

As you can see on the 1851 census she is listed as younger than her sister Emma when she should have been older and on the 1861 census her birthplace is also listed as Berkswell.

There is a death registered for an Anna McDonald Jun qtr 1847, Aston aged 4 which is likely to be her.

And there is a baptism for a Hannah Dingley 4 Jan 1846 Berkswell, daughter of Jane Dingley, single woman.

There is marriage for a Hannah Dingley to a Henry Mace (who is possibly of a similar age) reg. 1865 Aston. They have one son Frank and then disappear. Maybe emigrate?

There is another Hannah Dingley that could be though.

Last edited:
On Ancestry - England and Wales Criminal Registers - In 1877 in Birmingham a Hannah MacDonald was charged with Larceny and received a 3 month sentence, no age or residence is given.

I have just found a further report on the above - UK Calendar of Prisoners which puts Hannahs age as 37, so born c1840

William.

Last edited:
Thank you both for the assistance, that's interesting to find. I'll make a note of the larceny details just in case it links to another Hannah that I'm related to.

I'll have a look into the marriage and Frank route but that seems plausible. I know that Joseph and Mary Ann had a daughter Hannah, so maybe Jane had a daughter around the same age. That option didn't cross my mind. Thank you both again.

Back