• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hanging Basket

Ger22van, I was so pleased with my begonias last year I think I am going to do the same this year. They lasted until the Autumn when baskets weight pulled the hanging hook out of the wood and it all dropped to the ground, :)

Di.Poppitt. Like you I dont think I shall change from Begonias each year.
I think I had 26 hanging baskets last year and after the initial setting up they
practically look after themselves. Watering system was a little expensive but it is there year after year and just needs the occasional feed. I do also put a few bedding plants in but gardening is hard work so I tend to avoid it.
This year are Lupins ( just coming through ) Pom Pom Dahlias and French Marigold ( Honeycomb.) Thats my lot except for any fuchias that survive the winter in the greenhouse.

Di Poppitt. I shall expect the Tuberous Rooted Begonia Plug Plants to be in the shops from the middle of next month ( April ) Easier to say about 2 weeks time. so I shall be in W**kinson's looking out for them. I have found that early plug plants have flowered sooner than my over wintered ones.

Have just looked through this thread and what fantastic hanging baskets. My son does this as little side line and his patio is absolutely full of pots. His favourite plant is the fuchsia. He has so many varieties even one with a green flower and an almost black flowered one. He used to do my baskets but we don't bother so much as we are not here much in the summer and without self watering ones they die off. We are south facing and get the sun all day [when it comes out]. Jean.

Daily Mirror 30/03/2009 Every home to have a water meter within 20 year.
water-meter-342896843.jpg

Every home must have a water meter within 20 years, a government agency will report today.
The move would mean huge rises in water bills for families, especially those with young children. But pensioners and single people would pay less.
The Environment Agency says bills based on usage rather than home values will also help cut waste. Thanks to Mrs.Thatcher for selling our water abroad. Len.

it makes me laugh the costs of water rates from one area to another, my 80 yr old mother is expected to pay over £540 per year, welsh water, lol it comes out of the wye in Hereford. Where as I live in a Severn Trent Area and pay about £180 per year.

Just been listening to Doolan and this was the main talking point. I would love haging baskets again but I have to stand on a stool to water them being a five foot nothing person. If I try to water them with the can I get most on my head and can't keep doing my hair can I?. Jean.

Better still Phyl will get him indores to do it for me. Imagine me with an umbrella in one hand and a watering can in the other i'd end up on the path with my feet in the air. Jean.

Back