• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth

Just read this, I was the auditor back in the day. The business was owned by David Wilkinson and although related to Tony Wilkinson there had been a split in the family. Not sure what happened to David’s business but did not expand like Wilkos, paul

Attachments

• wilkinsons history R.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Old Handsworth. Two paintings showing long-gone rural scenes in Handsworth.

Oil painting of Farm in Wood Lane Handsworth, painting by John Joseph Hughes
AF836849-1291-48E6-B6E8-401C2DD0AB2F.jpeg

Oil painting of Haymaking Mathew’s Field, Handsworth, by William Ellis in 1859
0B192635-6B3F-4C96-9966-C0A8C2EC751E.jpeg

Viv.

Old Handsworth. Two paintings showing long-gone rural scenes in Handsworth.

Oil painting of Farm in Wood Lane Handsworth, painting by John Joseph Hughes
View attachment 151148

Oil painting of Haymaking Mathew’s Field, Handsworth, by William Ellis in 1859
View attachment 151149

Viv.
Viv, a little before my time but I just reviewed this thread (I grew up in Handsworth) leaving many years ago was a little melancholy but THANK YOU!

My Uncle, Aunty, Nan, cousins Lived at 12a Vicarage Road, I used to catch the Light Blue West Brom bus from Colmore Row, (out side the Snow Hill Station Entrance), along Soho Road to the church , by Vicarage Road, would the church in the 1850's painting , be that church, dos anyone know? Happy Christmas all, Paul

My Uncle, Aunty, Nan, cousins Lived at 12a Vicarage Road, I used to catch the Light Blue West Brom bus from Colmore Row, (out side the Snow Hill Station Entrance), along Soho Road to the church , by Vicarage Road, would the church in the 1850's painting , be that church, dos anyone know? Happy Christmas all, Paul

The church in the painting would be St Mary's, Handsworth parish church, which is in Hamstead Road so not the church you knew in Soho Road. However it appears that the church has lost the pinnacles on the tower at some time. The church you are thinking of could be St Michaels Handsworth which is near Soho House.

Thanks David. I thought it had lost it’s pinnacles but thought I might have mixed it up with St John’s in Perry Barr. These decorations seem, in some instances, to become unstable over time. Viv.

Last edited:
More pics: A Cabmans Shelter - they stood on little iron wheels and were provided with a central stove and flue pipe and a surrounding bench inside. All the sides were glazed so that the cabmen could see their prospective "fares" and could also keep an eye on the horses. This particular one was situated near to the Hamstead Road entrance to Victoria (Handsworth) Park and was moved to its present position from the cab rank by the Shakespeare Inn at the corner of Livery Street and Constitution Hill, in the early months of 1915. This shelter was used by park officials as a ticket office and a groundsmans store, but by 1937 was in a very decrepit state and would have finally fallen to pieces or been broken up.
Handsworth Old Pound : Once stood in the top angle of the upper playground to the Church School. The Handsworth Pound (or Pinfold) was where stray animals etc were impounded until claimed by their owner who, of course, had to pay a fine before they could be released. The blacksmith, Isaac George, whose smithy was on the opposite side of the road, acted as Pound Keeper. This photograph shows Isaac George in front of the Pound.
More pics: A Cabmans Shelter - they stood on little iron wheels and were provided with a central stove and flue pipe and a surrounding bench inside. All the sides were glazed so that the cabmen could see their prospective "fares" and could also keep an eye on the horses. This particular one was situated near to the Hamstead Road entrance to Victoria (Handsworth) Park and was moved to its present position from the cab rank by the Shakespeare Inn at the corner of Livery Street and Constitution Hill, in the early months of 1915. This shelter was used by park officials as a ticket office and a groundsmans store, but by 1937 was in a very decrepit state and would have finally fallen to pieces or been broken up.
Handsworth Old Pound : Once stood in the top angle of the upper playground to the Church School. The Handsworth Pound (or Pinfold) was where stray animals etc were impounded until claimed by their owner who, of course, had to pay a fine before they could be released. The blacksmith, Isaac George, whose smithy was on the opposite side of the road, acted as Pound Keeper. This photograph shows Isaac George in front of the Pound.

Brilliant to find a picture of Isaac George. He was my great great grandad xx

Thank you very much for the welcome :) I realise this is an old thread...but I'm going to try........that photo of Isaac George (my great great grandad) outside the old Pound....I'm trying to work out where he's standing. Im looking at google street view and trying to line up the graves behind him....I realise the road will have change considerably, but I'm assuming the wall and graves are still there. Can anyone help me? Many thanks, Alison xx

Thank you very much for the welcome :) I realise this is an old thread...but I'm going to try........that photo of Isaac George (my great great grandad) outside the old Pound....I'm trying to work out where he's standing. Im looking at google street view and trying to line up the graves behind him....I realise the road will have change considerably, but I'm assuming the wall and graves are still there. Can anyone help me? Many thanks, Alison xx
You might be interested in the thread below if you haven't already seen it ... :)

You might be interested in the thread below if you haven't already seen it ... :)
Great work oldMohawk!

Don't worry about an old thread...........I grew up on Radnor Rd which is off Hamstead Rd. That's what makes the Forum an exciting (at least for me) place. There is always something of interest and folks to help!

Hi Shortie,

I can see that this was posted a while ago but it was interesting to get a build date for Philip Victor Road - the houses are older than I thought. My understanding is that one was built for my wife's Grandfather Leo White who was one of the original Directors of The Valor Company. As you say the occupants needed to be well off as the cost I believe was almost £1500. When I find it I will post a photo of a horse drawn vehicle arriving on moving in day.
Have you got that photo. Be interesting to see

Back