• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth

image.jpgimage.jpgThis is a military band passing the Ivy House pub in 1913. And the same view today. Viv.

I remember bands marching up Soho Road most Sundays when I was a little girl. We used to run up to road to watch them go by.

The hair dressers where run by the daughters of the builders Mr Johnson in detached house same side and next to the wood yard,there was 2 single terrace's and a double terrace on the right hand side going down Dawson Road.
I will ask my wife if she knows the two lads you mention and the girl called Jenny,my wife lived in Woodstock road so she may well remember her.
If you had a shock when you first saw Handsworth, you should see it now,such a lot of history we should be proud off.
Alan
hi,. My mom usto go to the hairdressers you mentioned two sisters ran it. We lived in Baker street just round the corner
I also remember the shops on the opposite side of the road. I seem to recall the name David sparrow. I went to Grove lane school untill 1961 so most of my friends lived in this area, very happy times.

In 1962 the shop on the corner of Nineveh & hollidays road is labelled Mrs G. Folks, shopkeeper
The shop was run by a Gladys Folks, together with her family. I lived across the Road at No 38 Nineveh Rd until 1972 when we moved away. About 10 years ago and now then living in Halesowen, I took my daughter to Infant School and instantly recognised one of the teaching assistants as Jacqueline Folks, one of Gladys' daughters, I asked her if she remembered our family which she did vaguely. Her mother had passed away a few years earlier. I hope this adds to someones memory of the area.

Oh Goodness. I was only there for four years, do you remember the shop on the corner that sold wallpaper, paint, glass paraffin, etc? That was my mother's shop. Thank yo ufor confirming that The Grand was opposite Woolworths - I think the building might have been used by Walpamur - I seem to remember something like that with a large, long window. I might be wrong, it may not have been a Walpamur showroom, but it was not an ordinary 'shop'. There was also just further along, Norman Linton clothes, which seemed to me just for old ladies. Do you remember Steve Eagle, and David Sparrow? I think one lived in Whateley Road. Do you remember the shop, run by a lovely cheeful black lady in Dawson Road? I think her name was Mrs Ankle. I was always fascinated by her sweet potatoes, but at that time always called yams. Never dreamt that one day I would eat them - they looked disgusting to me at the time. Oh to be young again!
Oh so many memories, I lived in baker street untill 1965. Usto play around all the streets you mention I seem to know the name David sparrow. Keep reminicsing.

Pamhol I used to attend Union Row Church as a lad, lovely old church, what amazed me after the fire when they built a new mosque the grave yard was made into a car park with graves still there,just covered in Tarmac,perhaps I am being too sensative.
Hi, I attended union row church and belonged to the girls life brigade in the 1950s/1960s.

Shortie, I think you are right about Douro Wine.
Going down the Mainy towards Woolies I think the shops were Playfair, a greengrocers - I remember they sold huge, juicy peaches in summer - Wimbush, Wilkinsons, the shop with the pig, British Relay (my mum worked there) ,a couple I can't remember offhand and then Barretts the butchers. The Pump Tavern came next and then Nelson House with, I think, the chemist you mentioned next door to it.
I can't recall what the rest of the shops in that row were just now but maybe it will come - except I am fairly sure the shoe shop was Timpsons. Mom used to take us there for our "proper" school shoes.

The other side of Linwood were Shoe Fayre on the corner, the 'fancy goods' shop, the greengrocers (was that Tibbetts?) Bakers the butchers, the leather bag shop, Patti French the ladies clothing and lingerie shop - and something else.

Does anyone remember the milk machine (Handsworth Dairies possibly) on the pavement in front of the butchers ? You put your threepence in and a carton of milk dropped down into a drawer below. You pulled open the drawer and took out your milk - and straw. Mostly it was just ordinary milk but sometimes you could get strawberry flavour. I think it may have held cartons of orange juice too.

Oh and on Saturdays in the summer there was always a Verricchia (spelling??) ice cream van on one corner of Linwood Road ... and a rival on the other.
Hi the ice cream van verrachias were garaged ihn baker street, up the road from were I lived.

Hi Judy - I can't find the post where I mention The Grand - it's not a place I remember to be honest. I wqas only there from 1960-64. Opposite woolworths was the MEB abd the Post Office, both set back, then there was the Market and Hawkins (not sure if in that order). One of the shops along that stretch may have been a cinema at one time, but my memory of the buildings on that side is a little vague - however the Walpamur shop was quite large and may have been the Grand at one time. I shall have to find my map and see if that is any help. Shortie
Hi, I seem to recall my brother going to the billiard room near Hawkins and the post office just below handsworth market

Yes, I remember that on the corner of Neveh Road and Soho Road - bit too straight laced for me to attend.

Carol / Judy,

Good afternoon to you both! Not being a dancer, can you tell me what MIDMA stands for. The best the internet can come up with is Manitoba Interactive Digital Media Association and my best guess is Member of the Institute Dancing Modern & Ancient ! :)

But that doesn't sound quite right..................

Maurice

International Dancing Masters Asoociation. But don't know what the first letter stands for. Maybe 'Modern'. Viv.

Thanks, Viv. I'd guess, that like most associations, it stands for Member.

Maurice

And now apparently renamed the International Dancing Teachers Association!

The 'Masters' must have been the teachers. These are my medals gained as a pupil in May 1961 and April 1962. The organisation is now IDTA, International Dance Teachers Association. Viv.
image.jpeg

Judy did you see Made in Birmingham - streets of Birmingham last night. It was wonderful starting from Snow Hill Station and ending West Brom F C. It was like all our yesterdays for me, seeing where Swallow Raincoats were (2nd job) down through Hockley up Soho Hill which they said was a turnpike and you had to pay to go up there. Past Dennison Watch Case (1st job) and so on. Next Sunday its Summerfield Park to Colmore Row.

Back