• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth

In 1962 the shop on the corner of Nineveh & hollidays road is labelled Mrs G. Folks, shopkeeper

Last edited:
Does anyone remember 'Ernie UNDERWOODs' Gym. in Queens Head Rd......Ernie, and brother Frank lived with their sister, both were bachelors. Ernie had one leg and was often seen riding his 'fixed' wheel bike up and down Soho Rd. The Gym. was located in a tin shed at the bottom of his garden and it also had a snooker table. Started my weight training their in 1953. 9d a session.

Sorry Paul, I'd be too young to remember that and I never heard it spoken of. I know the same happened when my Mom was taking me on a bus to see my granddad when I was a baby and a lone plane flew low gunning along Digbeth. My Mom threw herself over me to protect me. I don't know if anyone was injured in that incident either.

Judy

I know I've posted this photo of the 1945 V.E. Day Party in Vicarage Road before, but it shows your Mom and Nan in it, and I do remember them very well when I was growing up. We kids used to play in Vicarage Road all the time. Handsworth was so lovely in those days.

I'm the little girl in the front seated row, 4th child from right in the dark coat and band round hair!

Judy

Attachments

• Victory Party 1945 Handsworth.jpg
    Victory Party 1945 Handsworth.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that Judy, I have the original you sent me, it is lovely to see everyone alive again and young, did you know "Anthony Grimshaw", ?, also the little blond girl on the older girls lap in the front is my cousin Pam Manton, as she was then, later Holland, known on the forum as "Pamhol". You are right Handsworth was a very special and beautiful place in those days. Sincere Regards. Paul Stacey.

I can't recall a Tony Grimshaw, but I do recognise your cousin Pat seated on the girls lap in the middle of the front row. My own sister was just a bit further along that row on the left sitting on the lap of the older girl with a party hat on. My best friend Isabelle Instone is the first little girl on the right hand side of that row. The two adults seated at left front were I think Mr & Mrs Grennan who lived in Soho Avenue, like me, with their two children sitting on the kerb next to them. I remember most of the faces in this photo but can't put a name to them now unfortunately. They were all part of my growing up and were very happy days.

Judy

These 6 houses, built in 1907, are a good design and claim to be better than the monotonous designs being built for people of this class. But where are they? I presume somewhere between Handsworth and Aston, but they're not familiar. Be good to hear that they're still standing. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1427530087.050643.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1427530178.637822.jpg

Excluding the façade which is a bit different, the layout of the houses in the plans is much the same as 90% of the terrace houses built by speculative builders in that period. Actually quite a cheap house for 1907 at £227, my small 3 bed terrace house on the Selly Park/ Stirchley border was built in 1909 and the original selling price was £265

The architect was a Birmingham boy - lived 15 Handsworth Wood Road, went to King Edward VI Birmingham and had offices in Colmore Row. He was born in 1880. The details I found did not list his death. Is the address a clue to where these houses might be?

Janice

Not a bad investment for a potential landlord, at those rents the cost of the houses is paid off in nine years, a return on capital employed of over 10% per annum and a residual value of at least the original outlay

Does anyone have any recollection or information about "The Handsworth Wood Tennis Club" in the 1930's?

When clearing my father in law's house we came across a silver cup presented to the club by my mother in law's step-father. It is called the Davison Cup and was won by E Swannock & E Snell in 1935, P Millington & D Caswell in 1936 and D Caswell & M Millington in 1938.

I do hope someone can shed some light on this trophy.

Many thanks
Janet

I know where the tennis club was, as the house we rented when we were first married overlooked the courts. We lived in Philip Victor Road, and the Tennis Courts were off Church Lane. Between Hinstock Road and Grove Lane, the entrance was between some houses.

Does anyone have any recollection or information about "The Handsworth Wood Tennis Club" in the 1930's?

When clearing my father in law's house we came across a silver cup presented to the club by my mother in law's step-father. It is called the Davison Cup and was won by E Swannock & E Snell in 1935, P Millington & D Caswell in 1936 and D Caswell & M Millington in 1938.

I do hope someone can shed some light on this trophy.

Many thanks
Janet

Hello Janet,

I know nothing of this club but judging by the last date the cup was awarded (1938) the war intervened and The Davison Cup competition stopped and was never reinstated.

Old Boy

This is an interesting little church in Handsworth. There's no address, but it was designed and erected by a London company. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 54
There are still many of these buildings by John Harrison & co. around. They were usually chapels, known affectionately as "tin tabernacles", or village halls. Usually timber framed with corrugated roof and sides. Many have had a new, less noisy roof I believe. They were a reasonably quick solution where the need was pressing and finances short.

Thanks Alan. I remember discussing a tin tabernacle on the Erdington thread. This one looks a bit more ornate than the Erdington one. Didn't know there were companies who supplied these. Had imagined they were built by local people to a local design. Makes sense to have them almost ready-made and erected by the company. Wonder if this is still there in Handsworth. Viv.

Thanks Mike. I think it was most probably on Rookery Road. The position of the later Methodist church looks more like the position of the tabernacle. The Victoria Road church doesn't seem to fit the original photo. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 28
Back