• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Handsworth

Charlie

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Some (not very good, sorry) photos from the press cuttings of Bernard Porter.
Church lane cottages, Handsworth.
(These photos unfortunately lost)

Last edited by a moderator:
More pics: A Cabmans Shelter - they stood on little iron wheels and were provided with a central stove and flue pipe and a surrounding bench inside. All the sides were glazed so that the cabmen could see their prospective "fares" and could also keep an eye on the horses. This particular one was situated near to the Hamstead Road entrance to Victoria (Handsworth) Park and was moved to its present position from the cab rank by the Shakespeare Inn at the corner of Livery Street and Constitution Hill, in the early months of 1915. This shelter was used by park officials as a ticket office and a groundsmans store, but by 1937 was in a very decrepit state and would have finally fallen to pieces or been broken up.
Handsworth Old Pound : Once stood in the top angle of the upper playground to the Church School. The Handsworth Pound (or Pinfold) was where stray animals etc were impounded until claimed by their owner who, of course, had to pay a fine before they could be released. The blacksmith, Isaac George, whose smithy was on the opposite side of the road, acted as Pound Keeper. This photograph shows Isaac George in front of the Pound.

Attachments

• Cabmans%20ShelterA_.jpg
    Cabmans%20ShelterA_.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Handsworth Hamsteaed rd animal pound 1920.jpg
    Handsworth Hamsteaed rd animal pound 1920.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: Two
The Handsworth Wood Horse Bus: This is a photograph taken from a print by Mr. Darlington, taken about 1907. This bus was in full swing by 1885, at which period its journey from Colmore Row only extended to the four ways at the Wellington Road/Church Lane crossover. By 1888 the route was extended to Browne's Green, about a mile further on. This was done at the request of a small body of Swedenborgian jewellers who had built a group of large houses at the top of Hamstead Hill called "The Colony" The time of a single journey was one hour, with a rest of a few minutes for the horses and the fare was 6d. It frequently had to stop at the blacksmiths shop, nar to the Parish Church and adjoining the Lamp Tavern, for the horses shoes to be "roughed up". The opening of Handsworth Wood railway station removed a lot of passenger traffic off the roads and on to the rails.(Photograph lost)
A Handsworth Toll House:This was situated opposite Handsworth Parish Chuch, in Hamstead Road
The toll house was kept and the tolls taken by a Mrs Smallwood, a member of an old Handsworth family of scholastic propensities. Her chief business was knitting stockings - not for the poor but for the "gentry of the district"!

Attachments

• Handsworth%20Hamstead toll house.jpg
    Handsworth%20Hamstead toll house.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 32
Handsworth Town Hall: At the junction of Slack Lane and College Road, it was known as the "Town Hall of Handsworth" since 1538. It appears that the building which is now divided into three cottages, was originally one house or "hall" and was erected about the beginning of the 16th century, i.e. about 1520..though some understand that the oldest portion of the structure dated from 1460.It is considered by experts to be one of the finest "cruck" building to be found in this country. It, or part of it, was at one time used as a gaol and workhouse.
This is a drawing of west-end elevation and the east-end elevation, reproduced from measured drawings made in 1932. These drawings clearly show the two "cruck" contructed ends of the building.

Attachments

• old town hall 1840.jpg
    old town hall 1840.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Thanks Charlie for the photos and the information. We had a post on the old Cruck House, with photos, some years ago. It isn't listed for some reason and being so old in real danger of falling into ruin.
My mom who sas born in Hamstead used often to mention Brown's Green, it's only now as I think back that I realise I have no idea where it was. Neither do I know where the old Handsworth Wood Station was. There was also a mine in Handsworth, it's is on old maps of the areas.

Di, Handsworth Wood Station is almost opposite the Endwood. It's not easy to spot unless someone points it out - I don't think there was much in the way of station buildings, the photo I have of it does not show any. You also mention The Cruck House - I think this is the building used by Handsworth Historical Society and I am sure must be listed. It's open on certain days of the year, so must also be in a reasonable condition - for the safety aspect if nothing else. At least this was the case a year or two ago. Shortie

Di, Handsworth Wood Station is almost opposite the Endwood. It's not easy to spot unless someone points it out - I don't think there was much in the way of station buildings, the photo I have of it does not show any. You also mention The Cruck House - I think this is the building used by Handsworth Historical Society and I am sure must be listed. It's open on certain days of the year, so must also be in a reasonable condition - for the safety aspect if nothing else. At least this was the case a year or two ago. Shortie

Yes, a section of the old Handsworth Town Hall is open sometimes - I have been inside, it's worth a visit if you are in the area when they are open.

Here is a cutting from 1973 just before some clearances in Handsworth
Mike

10_downing_St_change_of_use.jpg

Thanks for that Mike. It's a shame it ever got to that state, but a migrating population meant that the pubs and businesses weren't viable any more.
It's good that we've got photos to remind us - thanks again.

I lived in Handsworth in Mount Pleasant Avenue off rookery Rd. I thought I knew Handsworth well but have just read a book about Handsworth Prison. Now where might that be? Anyone heard of it?
Jilly

I agree it was near, and possibly it was locally called that, but the 1849 (shortly after it was built) Corporation directory refers to it as the "Borough gaol at Winson"
mike

I have had a chat with some friends who are on the committee of Handsworth Historical Society, and they know of no prison in Handsworth.

It is doubted that it would be Winson Green, for that was in Warwickshire, and Handsworth was Staffordshire (depending of course, on the time we are actually talking about). People who went to prison from Handsworth always went to Stafford.

There was, however, at Hill Top (near Handsworth Cemetery) a Prisoner of War camp, during WW2. Perhaps this was the Handsworth Prison mentioned in the book, although I suspect it would have been called a Prison Camp, not a prison. Shortie

The book that centred around Handsworth prison was by Meg Hutchinson and called 'Abel's daughter'. There were no clues as to date, but I would guess it was about the early 1800s. I saw in a thread from Charlie that Handsworth town hall was also used as a prison so I assume that would be it.

I do remember the prisoner of war camp in the '40s as I lived near Oxhill Rd. My friend's family used to entertain one of the German prisoners and he taught us how to sing 'Lily Marlene' in German. They seemed to have considerable freedom.

Handsworth Town Hall was used (but no longer) by Handsworth Historical Society. I think if it was true, they would know about it. Is it fiction? Is it possible that the prison was fiction? It's hardly large enough I would have thought. I can only repeat what I have been told today. Shortie

Jillyflower, below is a quote from the Handsworth Historical Society's web site. It is also worth considering that there is a Handsworth in Sheffield, but as I know now that the book is fiction, I would personally not read too much into it.

"Handsworth "Old Town Hall"

This is the popular name for the building at the corner of College Road (formerly Grove Lane) and Slack Lane, which was erected about 1460 and is of moderate size and a fine example of CRUCK construction, the beams still being in good order,

The development of timber-framed buildings is very closely associated with our history from the days when the Romans built their fine wooden villas here, and these timber-framed buildings have been part of the English and Welsh scene since early Saxon times.

This name may have derived its name from two Anglo-Saxon words TUN, meaning a wall or barricade, and HEALL, meaning a roofed building.

Even so, it has served the area for generations until the 19th century as the 'headquarters' for the law, being the Constable's, or Court House, and the venue for travelling Assize Courts,

It was used by Staffordshire, in which it was situated until 1911 for such local administration purposes as would have arisen in what was then a sparsely populated country district. In reality, it was the residence and office of the Overseer of the Parish, who was a very much more important person than he would be considered today."

Shortie

I know it was fiction, Shortie, but the authors of repute usually do a lot of research about their subject. The story line is fiction but usually the area and detail are mostly fact. The author lived all her life in Wednesbury.
the details Shortie put on here was about Handsworth town Hall:

Handsworth Town Hall: At the junction of Slack Lane and College Road, it was known as the "Town Hall of Handsworth" since 1538. It appears that the building which is now divided into three cottages, was originally one house or "hall" and was erected about the beginning of the 16th century, i.e. about 1520..though some understand that the oldest portion of the structure dated from 1460.It is considered by experts to be one of the finest "cruck" building to be found in this country. It, or part of it, was at one time used as a gaol and workhouse.
This is a drawing of west-end elevation and the east-end elevation, reproduced from measured drawings made in 1932. These drawings clearly show the two "cruck" contructed ends of the building.​

Yes, Jillyflower, I do appreciate what you say, but I have again spoken to Handsworth Historical Society who would like to know where Charlie gets his information from.

The Hall is not large enough for either a workhouse or a prison, it is really small, and they are saying it was not used as either. The people I know are not youngsters and are highly regarded for their knowledge of the area, and I have to say until proof is provided, I know who I would prefer to believe. If Charlie can provide the source of his information, they will look into it. Shortie

The information I have came from an article in the Birmingham Post, written by Bernard Porter in the 1930s.
Mr. Porter was an historian of note and lived all his life in Handsworth Wood Road. He wrote a lot of articles for the Birmingham Post and Journal and was also a prominent member of Handsworth Parish Church. He had a book of his press cuttings that he kept - a book I no longer have, I'm afraid, it was borrowed from a friend. However, if the Handsworth Historical Society want a look at it, I can ask to borrow it again for a short time.
Charlie (I'm a "she"...can't put "lady" because of trade description legislation) :):)

Oops Charlie! I will try to remember that for the future! I will pass on this information and see what they say. I am out later and won't be able to contact them again until Sunday, but I will let you know what they say.

On another point entirely, when did you leave Putney Road? My husband lived for a short time in Hutton Road (No 151), from 1946 until 1951, with his grandparents. They then moved to Handsworth Wood. I wonder if you would know either his grandparents or his aunt who lived there from 1951 ? Shortie

Charlie
I note that , if you look up Bernard Porter in google, then the person that comes up is a professor of history (current) at Newcastle University. I wonder if he is the son/grandson of the person you mention, or if the interest in history is coincidental
Mike

Thanks for all the info everyone. I do remember the buildings and never dreamed what they were. I looked up the photo on the Handsworth History site. I suppose there could have been further buildings which no longer exist on the site? I am being fascinated already by all you have to say and what is on this site and it has brought back so many memories of my childhood and teenage years.
Jilly

I have now sorted out the Bernard Porter information and Handsworth Historical Society report as follows:

The Town Hall (or probably more likely the barn attached, which has now gone) was used to house an odd prisoner or person on their way to the Workhouse (at West Bromwich), but it would have only been a 'holding cell' and would have not been for more than a day and/or night. Certainly not used as a regular prison, - lack of security for one thing would have made it useless. So it would have been used in the same way as police cells at local stations are used, and not as an actual prison. The Constable would have been there, also.

Bernard Porter's information is well known (and well used) by Handsworth Historical Society. (Thanks Charlie for the offer, they have access to the articles, so no need for a loan of the book)

So, the Town Hall has certainly seen some action, one way or another over the years, but it was most certainly not a prison.

Shortie

Charlie
I note that , if you look up Bernard Porter in google, then the person that comes up is a professor of history (current) at Newcastle University. I wonder if he is the son/grandson of the person you mention, or if the interest in history is coincidental
Mike
Could be Mike. This Bernard A. Porter died in the early 40s and I don't know if he had any offspring, but it's quite possible given his interest in history.

Old Cruck House Slack Lane postcard 1936
(Replacement)

Attachments

• Handsworth Cruckhouse slack lane.jpg
    Handsworth Cruckhouse slack lane.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 13
I feel Birmingham chould be congratulated but wonder if somone will now complain that they did not act in the best interest of Ratepayers by not achieving the maximum [potentially] for the buildings.

I find it hard to beleive that they would not suffer arson through spite as it benefits nobody.

Back