• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Handsworth

My late uncle was a dentist in Handsworth - he lived and practised in Hampstead Road as B A Latham. I now live in Adelaide, Australia, but still have a strong memory of the house and the dental surgery (which was actually on the corner of Hampstead and Gibson Roads - does anyone have any memories this.

We actually lived in Hall Green ( in much more modest circumstances!) and I can remember catching the 29A from Kedleston Road to somewhere north of the cirt centre and then transferring to the 16A because it travelled along Hampstead Road.
Good afternoon Tim

I’ve only just seen your post from some years ago and I do recall your uncle’s dental practice from the early to mid seventies. My mother was one of his patients and we used to travel there from our own home close to Handsworth Grammar.

The most striking memory of the inside of the surgery was it’s black wooden beams decorated with numerous horse brasses and white painted walls. The external entrance had a wooden canopy with a seating area. On entering, there was also wooden seating built in to the wall on the left hand side (possibly with a window), followed by a whitewashed hall (possibly with further beams) that led to the waiting area on the left. The flooring throughout was highly varnished wood and the waiting area consisted of settees (Laura Ashley-style) which were placed to make it look more like a living room, rather than rows of plastic chairs.

The treatment rooms were on the right hand side of the waiting area and the entrance doors were a combination of Louvre-windowed opaque glass and white wood to allow light in to the rear of the surgery.

I don’t remember the name of the dentist as being Mr Latham, but can recall a very tall, slender gentleman with red hair (almost matching moms) and she was always praising his workmanship even though she hated having to go to a dentist.

Good afternoon Tim

I’ve only just seen your post from some years ago and I do recall your uncle’s dental practice from the early to mid seventies. My mother was one of his patients and we used to travel there from our own home close to Handsworth Grammar.

The most striking memory of the inside of the surgery was it’s black wooden beams decorated with numerous horse brasses and white painted walls. The external entrance had a wooden canopy with a seating area. On entering, there was also wooden seating built in to the wall on the left hand side (possibly with a window), followed by a whitewashed hall (possibly with further beams) that led to the waiting area on the left. The flooring throughout was highly varnished wood and the waiting area consisted of settees (Laura Ashley-style) which were placed to make it look more like a living room, rather than rows of plastic chairs.

The treatment rooms were on the right hand side of the waiting area and the entrance doors were a combination of Louvre-windowed opaque glass and white wood to allow light in to the rear of the surgery.

I don’t remember the name of the dentist as being Mr Latham, but can recall a very tall, slender gentleman with red hair (almost matching moms) and she was always praising his workmanship even though she hated having to go to a dentist.
I used to see Dr Latham, unfortunately I was usually in pain when I got there. I lived on Radnor Rd which is just up Wycliffe Rd.

has anyone got any photos of 2 Charles road hands worth and 133 Stamford road as i used to live there

Last edited:
has anyone got any photos of 2 Charles road hands worth and 133 Stamford road as i used to live there
Photo of 2 Charles Road from 2011 is available on Google Maps Street View.
Although 133 Stamford Road exists it appears that a photo of it is not available on Google. Looks like the driver of the camera car went round by Stamford Grove and forgot to backtrack along Stamford Road.

I've only recently joined the Forum and seen this chain of comments. I'm also Secretary of Handsworth Historical Society but can't get to the Old Town Hall for a few weeks because of a wrist injury. Our understanding is that it was once used as the lock-up but probably only for a couple of people at a time, perhaps overnight. It's been two cottages since 1946, is Grade 2 listed and open monthly for coffee mornings or at other times by appointment - see our website. We do have a copy of Bernard Porter's press cuttings from the 1930s and are also in touch with a descendant of the last pound keeper, Isaac George, who died in 1930 and is buried at nearby St Mary's, although we have no record of a gravestone. Didn't know about the cabman's shelter.

Is that the park on the right hand side and the baths? I know Hinstock Road, or at least part of it was built later along with Philip Victor Road, so it might be. The lay of the land seems to suggest it is. Never seen one like this before, it's certainly a peaceful scene.
I am replying 12 years after this was posted! Yep, that's the park to the right. I think the baths were further up the hill around the corner, 20p for a swim when I went in the early 80's! Yes, it looks very peaceful though unfortunately, Handsworth seems to be a no-go area at night nowadays...

Does anyone have any photo's of Handsworth taken in the 60's, 70's or 80's as more recent Handsworth history would also be interesting to 'delve' into?

Back