• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth Technical School

Just found this photo.... 1957/8 recognise Geof Caldicot Kenny Shipway Martin Bubb Gordon Eaves Peter Palmer J Wickham Danny ?
& myself !......... sorry can't remember other lads. Back of photo says , league winners & Ansell shield finalists.
Just found this photo.... 1957/8 recognise Geof Caldicot Kenny Shipway Martin Bubb Gordon Eaves Peter Palmer J Wickham Danny ?
& myself !......... sorry can't remember other lads. Back of photo says , league winners & Ansell shield finalists.
20200129_110124.jpg

Hi,
Anyone attending this great institution in the years 1952/55 care to touch bases
It's ok I'm not Ozzi looking for your late English homework.
regards,
Hi I was there 1952 -57 member of the first 6th form of 12 only pupils I have just found this forum and it sure has some info.

Hi,
Anyone attending this great institution in the years 1952/55 care to touch bases
It's ok I'm not Ozzi looking for your late English homework.
regards,
Yes. I attended HTS from Jan 1953 thru Dec 1955. Loved it, except for Mr. Sheldrake, the chemistry master who always seemed to scare the you-know-what out of me.
Patrick Downey

Yes. I attended HTS from Jan 1953 thru Dec 1955. Loved it, except for Mr. Sheldrake, the chemistry master who always seemed to scare the you-know-what out of me.
Patrick Downey
One time Mr Sheldrake was talking away and I was in the front row happily designing a car which was a cross between an Aston Martin DB 2 and a Jaguar and I specified a weight of 12 cwt.
I became aware of a silence as I was sprung and to everyone 's amusement he said something to the effect that I apparently had something more important than his lecture and he proceeded to show everyone my handywork.
My fellow students appreciated the introduction of the light relief as he slowly read my notes aloud and they all laughed at my weight estimation.
With the introduction off such materials as Titanium and Kevlar I think I won in the end and to my suprise I dont recall any other punishment!
There were some sad and sadistic teachers at HTS but dont think he was guilty.

Hi Guys. My first time on this site . . . wonder who I’ll meet! I too still have my anvil - the original wooden one in 2 halves for casting from. I didn’t keep the casting. I also have my blazer badge, and my school reports for several years. I’ve got a list of surnames of my classmates, in my handwriting. If you’re interested I’ll add them to a message. Wow! this is bringing back old memories. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then, but it did set me up for a good career.
Dave Williams

Hi Guys. My first time on this site . . . wonder who I’ll meet! I too still have my anvil - the original wooden one in 2 halves for casting from. I didn’t keep the casting. I also have my blazer badge, and my school reports for several years. I’ve got a list of surnames of my classmates, in my handwriting. If you’re interested I’ll add them to a message. Wow! this is bringing back old memories. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then, but it did set me up for a good career.
Dave Williams

hello dave and welcome....hope you enjoy the forum

lyn

Ozzie was OK. I do remember though, he liked to intimidate a pupil if he answered a question incorrectly. Not nearly as intimidating as Sheldrake however, who could bring a pupil to his needs by his nasty criticism.
Long live HTS. Three great years (1953-1955) I'll never forget, and a great education. Not sure where HTS is today.
Pat Downey
Florida, USA

This is the summary history of the school from British History Online:

“HANDSWORTH BOYS' TECHNICAL SCHOOL, Craythorne Avenue, Handsworth Wood. Handsworth Junior Tech. Sch. opened for B by Birm. C.B.C. 1920 (ex inf. present headmaster) in premises shared with Handsworth Tech. Coll. in Goldshill Rd. Accom. for c. 150. Admission by exam. at 13½– 14 yrs. for two-yr. course preparing boys for entry into building, engineering and metal trades (City of Birm., L.E.A. (Draft) Scheme, 1920). Transferred to new buildings 1958. N.o.b. 1961: 681.”

Viv

Hi. I have just joined this site having searched for information about HTS. I was there from 1964 until 1970 as I stayed on an extra year and re-sat some exams I essentially screwed up because in truth I did not have a clue at aged 16 what I wanted to do if I left. Mr Mens was the head teacher when I started there but unfortunately he left after a couple of years and a guy called Drake took over. That was the start of my decline at school. Up until Drake came I was doing pretty well academically. I was in the A2 stream and I had earned the School Progress Prize presented on Speech Day. But I could not stand Drake and the feeling was obviously mutual. Teachers I remember were my first form teacher Dorman who took us for French. Lewis for geography, Day for physics, Sheldrake (Bombduck) for chemistry, Osborne and Plowright for English, Ball and Stokes for PE and games and Rudkin for RE. At different times during my sentence at that school there were also teachers Moore, Sherriff, Haddon, Flutter, Griffiths, Hamilton (who I saw quite recently) and just before I left there was a female teacher who I cannot remember her name. The day I left that school ranks as one of the greatest days of my life. I detested the place. I remember on the day I left we were to have coffee and biscuits with the staff in the gym to say a final farewell and I remember Drake coming over to me and my best mate and asking us what our plans were. After we told him he finished by saying that the two of us had the dubious distinction of having been absent more times than present that final year. Yes we wagged so many days off we barely ever completed a full week. We would spend days down Wassen Pool (Sandwell Valley) during rain and snow, freezing to death until four o' clock before making our way home rather than attend. When we did attend school we would go into the woods at lunchtime and mess about on this rope swing that went out over the river until a lad shattered his leg crashing into a tree so the swing was removed. We would go down into Hamstead Village and get chips and if we pooled our money we could sometimes buy 10 No 6 tipped and smoke a cigarette on the way back. When the school became Hamstead and girls were attending my sister who is nine years younger than me went there. On her first day she encountered Drake and when learning her name was asked if she was my relative. She happily informed him that I was her brother to which he replied '' well I hope you have a different attitude to school than your brother.'' Needless to say they never got on either. I can look back now and smile about stuff that went on there but at the time I found it horrendous. I still think about the bullies that went there while I attended and wonder whether as they became adults they ever felt ashamed of the misery they caused kids. Fortunately I was not one of the ones bullied but I can remember those bullies names even now.

Hi. I have just joined this site having searched for information about HTS. I was there from 1964 until 1970 as I stayed on an extra year and re-sat some exams I essentially screwed up because in truth I did not have a clue at aged 16 what I wanted to do if I left. Mr Mens was the head teacher when I started there but unfortunately he left after a couple of years and a guy called Drake took over. That was the start of my decline at school. Up until Drake came I was doing pretty well academically. I was in the A2 stream and I had earned the School Progress Prize presented on Speech Day. But I could not stand Drake and the feeling was obviously mutual. Teachers I remember were my first form teacher Dorman who took us for French. Lewis for geography, Day for physics, Sheldrake (Bombduck) for chemistry, Osborne and Plowright for English, Ball and Stokes for PE and games and Rudkin for RE. At different times during my sentence at that school there were also teachers Moore, Sherriff, Haddon, Flutter, Griffiths, Hamilton (who I saw quite recently) and just before I left there was a female teacher who I cannot remember her name. The day I left that school ranks as one of the greatest days of my life. I detested the place. I remember on the day I left we were to have coffee and biscuits with the staff in the gym to say a final farewell and I remember Drake coming over to me and my best mate and asking us what our plans were. After we told him he finished by saying that the two of us had the dubious distinction of having been absent more times than present that final year. Yes we wagged so many days off we barely ever completed a full week. We would spend days down Wassen Pool (Sandwell Valley) during rain and snow, freezing to death until four o' clock before making our way home rather than attend. When we did attend school we would go into the woods at lunchtime and mess about on this rope swing that went out over the river until a lad shattered his leg crashing into a tree so the swing was removed. We would go down into Hamstead Village and get chips and if we pooled our money we could sometimes buy 10 No 6 tipped and smoke a cigarette on the way back. When the school became Hamstead and girls were attending my sister who is nine years younger than me went there. On her first day she encountered Drake and when learning her name was asked if she was my relative. She happily informed him that I was her brother to which he replied '' well I hope you have a different attitude to school than your brother.'' Needless to say they never got on either. I can look back now and smile about stuff that went on there but at the time I found it horrendous. I still think about the bullies that went there while I attended and wonder whether as they became adults they ever felt ashamed of the misery they caused kids. Fortunately I was not one of the ones bullied but I can remember those bullies names even now.
I am about your sisters age; I went to Handsworth Tech/ Hamstead Hall from 1973 and one of the few teachers I remember was Drake, he as I recall was one to keep clear of. Actually, I also remember many more teachers who were decent... ironically, I left in 1975 to go to Great Barr Comp. And that ended up being the wrong move, what a jungle!
Anybody remember Miss Jones or Trevor Corless for games..?

Back