• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth, Staffordshire

Nodrogw

knowlegable brummie
I have recently acquired the 1911 census form for James and Lilian Bowker, who lived at 4 Weston Avenue, Handsworth. I was born and bred in Handsworth, and I do not know where this was, however, I believe that it could be in what is now known as Smethwich. Can anyone enlighten me as to where Weston Avenue was or is.

There's a Weston Road in Handsworth, running from Hamstead Road to Hunters Road, but no Weston Avenue as far as I can tell.

Big Gee

Hi, I think you'll find it as Weston Avenue, Brewery Street, as per the enumerator list.Brewery Street runs off Booth Street.

Although no Weston avenue is listed on any map, there is a Weston Avenue mentioned (though no houses listed) in the 1910, 1912, and 1921 Kellys as being next to 120 carpenters Road, lozells. Counting houses shows that this must be the red alley shown on the map. As far as I can see this would have access only to those houses marked in blue, so I think these must be the houses of "Weston Avenue", though not an avenue as we know it !
Mike

1921KellyscarpentersRd.jpg

westonAvoffcarpentersrdmapc1914.jpg

Weston Avenue ran between 68 and 70 Brewery Street until at least 1955 as per the Electoral Rolls.It came under the Soho Ward.

Again , this Weston Avrenue (see 1921 Kellys below), seems to be just an alley, and must be the one marked in red on the map. Which houses were listed unsed it seems not clear
Mike

Kellys1921breweryst.jpg

siteofwestoAvoffbrewerystmapc1917.jpg

Back