• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Handsworth Pound Hamstead Road

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Handsworth’s Pound was on Hamstead Road near to the Church. The press cutting (November 1931) tells us there was also once a smithy/blacksmith’s shop across the road. I’m attaching a modern view of the site, the Pound being, I think, roughly to the left of the bus stop. The postcard image of the Pound is c1900s. It would have been removed at the very early part of the 1900s. Viv.
78CC4AA7-5243-403B-ABA9-DED7C68D78D5.jpeg
0E0AD720-675A-4EAE-8D13-7DA4E2AA087C.jpeg

Attachments

• 41F8DE2E-1A94-450C-AE0A-0A78AB9D08BD.jpeg
    41F8DE2E-1A94-450C-AE0A-0A78AB9D08BD.jpeg
    485.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I think the old photograph was taken in front of St Mary's Church by Handsworth Park.

The modern photograph you have posted is the former church just past the crossroads at Villa Road.

just beat me to it sparks..i have seen the old photo before and was taken alongside st marys church next to handsworth park...the new photo is taken of another church at the other end of hamstead road which i think was called st johns..will have to check that out...as you know both churches still standing and still in use

lyn

Ever wondered what might be found in the Handsworth Pound ? Some examples from the Birmingham Daily Gazette, June 1863.

Presumably a ‘wolf-dog’ was a wild dog - not an actual wolf. The Handsworth Pound diesn’t Look large enough to contain all those animals at once, although maybe they just squeezed as many in as would fit.

Although tongue in cheek the letter suggests pounds were a government responsibility (I think). I’ve seen many small ads in papers asking for owners to reclaim their animals within 3 days or they would be sold. These ads included those held in the Handsworth Pound. Viv.

Attachments

• E4E94D41-AEB5-460D-8175-0C99D988A425.jpeg
    E4E94D41-AEB5-460D-8175-0C99D988A425.jpeg
    426.2 KB · Views: 7
I very much enjoyed this thread, which I’ve just found. I had no idea it was here. Isaac George, the last keeper of the pound was my paternal great great grandad...... I’m absolutely delighted to find the cutting about his funeral.....for years I’ve been wondering where he’s buried. Does anyone know if Churchill cottages still exist? I’m visiting as soon as lockdown is over...........thank you all so much xxx Alison xxx

I'm afraid they are no longer there. They were still there on the c1956 map, but had gone by 1977, after the school had been built. Below is a map showing no3 (Isaac's House) in red on the map c1890

map c1890 showing no 3 church hill cottages  hamstead road.jpg

For reference
Aerial view taken in 1920 with St Mary's Church near top centre and railway line coming in from the right towards Church Hill House. Unfortunately, too many trees to see the cottages marked on the map. The boating pool top right and large graveyard behind the church. Open fields in top of view.
HamsteadRoad1920.jpg
image source (britainfromabove) EPW001116A

Google's computer generated modern view.
Screenshot (245).jpg

Google's 1945 view. I've corrected their image stitch error and highlighted St Mary's and Church Hill House.
With reference to the map in #11, perhaps the cottages can be vaguely identified.
1945.jpg

I suppose in the current 'lockdown' conditions I have plenty of time to do it ... :)
When I went to nearby Handsworth Technical School around 1950, we used to hire rowing boats on the lake during some lunch hours.

Oh wow, thank you very much indeed for this. Very much appreciated xx
hi alison going through my handsworth books yesterday i found a close up photo of your gt gt grandad isaac george..trouble is i dont have a working scanner at the min so tomorrow i will take a photo of it with my camera and hope it turns out ok i will then post it on this thread for you

lyn

hi alison going through my handsworth books yesterday i found a close up photo of your gt gt grandad isaac george..trouble is i dont have a working scanner at the min so tomorrow i will take a photo of it with my camera and hope it turns out ok i will then post it on this thread for you

lyn
that is so thoughtful and kind of you, lyn……thank you xxx

looks a tad sharper than the one on post 1 mike....the other one i have does not show mr george standing outside the pound as said hope to post it tomorrow

That’s a fabulous photo! Thank you both very much for taking the time to scan and send it to me. Wonderful photo of quite a character! Thank you again so much xxxx

Back