• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth Park Victoria Park Handsworth

Keith Berry took this photo of some snow-covered canoes in the park. It reminds me of when I was at Handsworth Tech and we often went to the park and on the canoes during dinner breaks. They could easily overturn and inevitably one lad fell in (luckily he could swim) but he got severely reprimanded on return to school. Much to everyone's amusement he sat in afternoon classes in his gym kit while his clothes dried.
View attachment 125432
Keith Berry took this photo of some snow-covered canoes in the park. It reminds me of when I was at Handsworth Tech and we often went to the park and on the canoes during dinner breaks. They could easily overturn and inevitably one lad fell in (luckily he could swim) but he got severely reprimanded on return to school. Much to everyone's amusement he sat in afternoon classes in his gym kit while his clothes dried.
View attachment 125432
Hi I went to St John wall next door the the tec, St John wall moved to William murdoc school and vis a versa that summer desks and all when I left. Knew some lads from the handsworth tec Chris bowker and nick Patrick small world .o

Hi I went to St John wall next door the the tec, St John wall moved to William murdoc school and vis a versa that summer desks and all when I left. Knew some lads from the handsworth tec Chris bowker and nick Patrick small world .o
Hello Noelle, when were you at the William Murdoch School? I was in the first 5th form.

I did no
Hello Noelle, when were you at the William Murdoch School? I was in the first 5th form.
not go to William murdoc , sorry you miss understud me . The schools actually swoped places st john wall went up to were William murdoc used to be and stayed st john wall. Meanwhile , William murdoc moved everything puples , desks, teachers the lot to the old st john wall school .this then made handsworth tec and William murdoc hampsted hall school . St John wall stayed on its own as a catolic school .
I did not attend it her of them as I left to become an apprentice for a heating company in talbot st winson green auld f evans and sons.

Last edited:
I did no
not go to William murdoc , sorry you miss understud me . The schools actually swoped places st john wall went up to were William murdoc used to be and stayed st john wall. Meanwhile , William murdoc moved everything puples , desks, teachers the lot to the old st john wall school .this then made handsworth tec and William murdoc hampsted hall school . St John wall stayed on its own as a catolic school .
I did not attend it her of them as I left to become an apprentice for a heating company in talbot st winson green auld f evans and sons.
Ah, now I understand! Thank you......

#93 - Handsworth Park - Parish Church in background.
#93 - Handsworth Park - Parish Church.jpg

#94 - Handsworth Park - Parish Church in background.
#94 - Handsworth Park - Parish Church.jpg

#95 - Handsworth Park - Parish Church in background.
#95 - Handsworth Park - Parish Church.jpg

#96 - Handsworth Park - Parish Church in background - 1903.
#96 - Handsworth Park - Parish Church - 1903.jpg

#97 - Handsworth Park - Parish Church in background - 1909.
#97 - Handsworth Park - Parish Church - 1909.jpg

#93 - Handsworth Park - Parish Church in background.
View attachment 159068

#94 - Handsworth Park - Parish Church in background.
View attachment 159069

#95 - Handsworth Park - Parish Church in background.
View attachment 159070

#96 - Handsworth Park - Parish Church in background - 1903.
View attachment 159071

#97 - Handsworth Park - Parish Church in background - 1909.
View attachment 159072
Wonderful church & park, great pictures! Loved rowing on the lake & belonged to the St Mary's Scout troop.

Back