• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth New Road School

my husband went to handsworth new road between 1960 till 1964 anyone remember him david burke he has sadly not long passed away

I was at H N R from 1963 until 1967, at that time I remember a David Burke but if your dates are correct it would be wrong David.

I am sad for your loss and I hope you are able to make contact with someone who remembers him.

Nick S Phillips
H N R 1962 -1967

Last edited:
I was at H N R from 1963 until 1967, at that time I remember a David Burke but if your dates are correct it would be wrong David.
If your dates are correct in would have been in same year has old friend, if sadly I not seen for a few years.

I am sad for your loss and I hope you are able to make contact with someone who remembers him.

Nick S Phillips
H N R 1962 -1967
hi my david was there 1960 he left 64/65 we were going out then

I feel like the baby - I was there from 79-84.
Teachers I remember Mr Perry, Ms Gray (French Teacher), Mr Turnbull (English), Mr Pyres (Physics) Mr Lancaster (Metalwork), Mr Whiting (Maths), Mrs Paul (History), Mr Adamo (Tech Drawing)

I was at HNR until 1958. I attained the heady position of prefect. I remember hat I didn't do much in the last year but was sent with messages etc up to the annex. I even cooked beans on toast for the teachers up there! I loved the sports ground up City Road - it was an escape from lessons. lived in Markby Road and I also spent a lot of time at Watson's Pool (Sandwell Valley) long before the motorway sliced through. I also remember travelling by tram into town and to the Lickies. Good memories.

Does anyone remember Mrs Voke,used to walk round with a book under her arm if you got anything wrong she whacked you on the head with it.

Teachers I remember Mr Perry, Ms Gray (French Teacher), Mr Turnbull (English), Mr Pyres (Physics) Mr Lancaster (Metalwork), Mr Whiting (Maths), Mrs Paul (History), Mr Adamo (Tech Drawing)
Hello there, I went there during that time too !

I wonder if you remember me?
My name is Abdul, I was the laboratory technician at the time Arthur Pyres was there. I think the Chemistry teacher was mr. Ali and the biology teacher was a very good lady teacher, unfortunately I can't remember her name.

My name is Abdul, I was the laboratory technician at the time Arthur Pyres was there. I think the Chemistry teacher was mr. Ali and the biology teacher was a very good lady teacher, unfortunately I can't remember her name.

I remember you Abdul !

Our chemistry teacher was Mr Fuller, and the biology teacher (who was short, blonde and very beautiful!) was called a name I have no chance of spelling correctly, so I'll spell it phonetically - Miss Needlojaglow.

Thanks for reminding me of those two :)

(And how about this for co-incidence - I am an engineering technician at a large college!)

Edit
I've just remembered Miss Edge - the art teacher.

Last edited:
Hello Abdul. I remember you you had a moustache :). I was an A level student studying under Mr Pires with my good friend we knew as 'Rags' and former students 'shin' and the 'prof'. You used to setup our labs. There were only about 5 of us in the class if you remember. I went onto a degree in physics! I corresponded with Mr Pires about 10 years ago by email after I saw a report on the local news where he was trialing solar panels on His house. He remembered us well as his boys!

I can't remember the headmaster's name circa 1976 to mind 80s ( maybe Mr Reece?) but in a couple of assemblies a few of us were called out for sports awards which involved him saying well done and shaking our hands. I remember those 2 handshakes I received as something quite profound. They were firm and warm and incredibly comforting relaying great security, trust and integrity all in one!! ! I remarked as such to my friend after my first handshake and he reported feeling exactly the same when it came to his turn. Says something about the man I think that i remember it so well and left such an effect on me.

I can't remember the headmaster's name circa 1976 to mind 80s ( maybe Mr Reece?) but in a couple of assemblies a few of us were called out for sports awards which involved him saying well done and shaking our hands. I remember those 2 handshakes I received as something quite profound. They were firm and warm and incredibly comforting relaying great security, trust and integrity all in one!! ! I remarked as such to my friend after my first handshake and he reported feeling exactly the same when it came to his turn. Says something about the man I think that i remember it so well and left such an effect on me.
I just remembered the headmaster's name. It was Mr Cunningham. I think someone might have remarked he's passed away now. I know he made a big difference at the school. RIP.

I suppose I must be the only person who went to HNR for 10 years! How? I was a student from 1957 to 1961 then the summer I left, my father George Bruton, became the school caretaker there. So for a further 6 years, we lived in the caretaker's house, 17 Handsworth New Road, which was within the school grounds on the girls side.
As a student I was useless at woodwork (I reckon it was because I was left-handed) and Mr Huxley would always threaten to cane me if I did not get it right. It was rather ironical that when dad became caretaker he would always pop in to our house to watch the cricket on television during the lunch break.
I recall the science master Mr Field who had a swagger and walked twice as fast as anyone else. And as a monitor, we used to go round every week to collect all the stars dealt out by the teachers for good work to the students which they used to initial to verify the achievement on a star sheet. Mr Field's signature was easy to copy and many a time we used to add a few more and copy his signature.
Mr Vincent (ex army) was the head with George Berryman as deputy who many students feared. But in my last year there I was in his class - 4x and found he had a good sense of humour, particularly the once when we found out it was his birthday so we bought him a bottle of beer. We put it in his desk drawer and when he opened it to his surprise, he said nothing and just smiled - a rarity for him unless he was caning you!
I also remember during the early 60s, Charles Wilson one of the great train robbers escaped from Winson Green prison and the police came down to the school and completely searched it from top to bottom, including under the floors where there was a warren of tunnels for the heating pipes. Needless to say they did not find anything.

I suppose I must be the only person who went to HNR for 10 years! How? I was a student from 1957 to 1961 then the summer I left, my father George Bruton, became the school caretaker there. So for a further 6 years, we lived in the caretaker's house, 17 Handsworth New Road, which was within the school grounds on the girls side.
As a student I was useless at woodwork (I reckon it was because I was left-handed) and Mr Huxley would always threaten to cane me if I did not get it right. It was rather ironical that when dad became caretaker he would always pop in to our house to watch the cricket on television during the lunch break.
I recall the science master Mr Field who had a swagger and walked twice as fast as anyone else. And as a monitor, we used to go round every week to collect all the stars dealt out by the teachers for good work to the students which they used to initial to verify the achievement on a star sheet. Mr Field's signature was easy to copy and many a time we used to add a few more and copy his signature.
Mr Vincent (ex army) was the head with George Berryman as deputy who many students feared. But in my last year there I was in his class - 4x and found he had a good sense of humour, particularly the once when we found out it was his birthday so we bought him a bottle of beer. We put it in his desk drawer and when he opened it to his surprise, he said nothing and just smiled - a rarity for him unless he was caning you!
I also remember during the early 60s, Charles Wilson one of the great train robbers escaped from Winson Green prison and the police came down to the school and completely searched it from top to bottom, including under the floors where there was a warren of tunnels for the heating pipes. Needless to say they did not find anything.
Daveb, my brother was also at HNR could you use your name so i can ask if he remembers you.

Nick Phillips

Last edited:
Back