• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Handsworth New Road School

maggieuk

The Fairybrain of Brum
Hi Everyone..I attended HNR in the late 60s.. a few months ago I went back and was allowed in ..It has all been turned into flats and is really lovely inside ..The pics inside are taken from the hall on the girls side..The door under the stairs in the 3rd pic was the old science lab..Maggie

Last edited:
How lovely Maggie great photo's. You must have been so pleased. I must say it's so nice they have kept the building.

Lovely to see those photo'd I went in HNR in the 70's Drive past it most days and ofter wonder what it was like inside now. I most admit when I drive past I look at the windows and think "Glad I don't have to buy the curtains".
Thanks for leting me see them

hi all
i used to lived opposit HNR when i was a kid (1970 1981) used to go to foundry rd infants and junior school
i know live in tamworth and went passed HNR last week and was surprised to see it has been turned into flats although its nice to see they have kept the origanal building

My brother taught at HNR for a couple of terms in the early 1960's. One day he gave a boy detention for some misdemeanour, and the next morning the boy's mother arrived at the school armed with a coal-chopper and demanding an interview with the teacher who'd upset her son.......Iit put my brother off teaching for life.

Big Gee

it is a shame that more of these buildings are not put to better use as this one has been seeing what has been done might be a good example of how not to waste other buildings perhaps the councils etc should take notice of what can be done. Maggie spoke to the people in there and they are happy so shows what can work if people put some thought into it.Nice

I was a visiting teacher at Handsworth New Road during the seventies.
I remember the Raising of the School Leaving Age from 15 to 16 which led to the amalgamation of the boys' school with the girls' school next door.
At the Lower school we had an allotment looked after by a lovely old gentleman whose name I've forgotten. Football was played at Black Patch Park until the new pitches were created the other side of Soho Road.
We used to joke that our Further Education provision was just a few hundred yards down the road in Winson Green.
Happy days
Barryjohn

Mr Jackson was the name of the man who looked after the allotment up until 1971 when i left. We played football on Black Patch and the Uplands.

I had the "cane", across the hands, twice. Once by Mr. Vincent (Head teacher) for kicking a football against his office window whilst playing outside at break-time, it made him jump.
Another time by Mr. Berryman (Deputy Head) for throwing a Snowball, while waiting to go in to the Woodwork/Science block.
This left blood blisters on each finger.
Those were the days, happy times. Hay Ho.

My first school was City Road infants, Rotton Park / Edgbaston in 1946 then we moved house and then I went to Foundry Road infants then the junior school 1947 / 1952 then onto Handsworth New Road Secondry Modern until 1956. George Liddle was the headmaster he played for Birmingham City in the 1931 cup final against West Bromwich Albion. The Baggies won 2-1.
Clive

My father, Jack Scamp attended Handsworth NR and left in 1927. He played football for the old boys for some years after that. I'm coming to Handsworth on 6 June. Where is the old school building? Jenny Scamp

Hi Jenny,
There's a clue to the school's location in the name Handsworth New Road, which runs from from the junction of Lodge Road and Winson Green Road, towards Handsworth until it changes to Boulton Road, just under the railway bridge. Therefore, if you're coming from Handsworth it will be the reverse and on your right, just passed Beaton Road. Hope that helps.

Phil B is lucky in remembering how many times he got caned, I got it so many times (seemingly every other day) I can only remember Berryman's being the worst. After that I avoided his lessons by sciving off to what is now Sandwell Valley Country Park for the day.

My father, Jack Scamp attended Handsworth NR and left in 1927. He played football for the old boys for some years after that. I'm coming to Handsworth on 6 June. Where is the old school building? Jenny Scamp
Hallo Jenny, my Dad played in goal on the same team as your father. He never tired of telling people how he'd played football with Sir Jack Scamp.

went there between 1970 and 1975. Year before they joined the girls school with the boys next door. Loved it mostly. Remember walking up to the annex near soho road and getting on the bus outside the school for swimming lessons.
Miss Reed was the head mistress and my favourite teacher was the English teacher. The year most of us left we spent a week in the licky hills with the army cadets and sitting outside a pub drinking pop and eating Chrisps whilst the teachers were inside lol. Wouldn't happen now I don't think

Welcome to the forum Maria. I assume it's Handsworth New Road School Enjoy the forum. Viv.

hi maria and welcome from me too...bit of a long shot but i went to lozells girls school and our head mistress was also a miss reed..deptuty head was miss banbury...lozells girls closed and was demolished not long after i left in 1969 so could my miss reed have taken over your school?? she would have been getting on a bit as she was also head of lozells girls when our mom went there during the war years..

all the best

lyn

Hi I was at her from 1960 to 64 my teacher was Mrs Aldridge the science teacher does any remember her Delphine
hi maria and welcome from me too...bit of a long shot but i went to lozells girls school and our head mistress was also a miss reed..deptuty head was miss banbury...lozells girls closed and was demolished not long after i left in 1969 so could my miss reed have taken over your school?? she would have been getting on a bit as she was also head of lozells girls when our mom went there during the war years..

all the best

lyn

went there between 1970 and 1975. Year before they joined the girls school with the boys next door. Loved it mostly. Remember walking up to the annex near soho road and getting on the bus outside the school for swimming lessons.
Miss Reed was the head mistress and my favourite teacher was the English teacher. The year most of us left we spent a week in the licky hills with the army cadets and sitting outside a pub drinking pop and eating Chrisps whilst the teachers were inside lol. Wouldn't happen now I don't think
I was in a staff meeting just before the girls' school and the boys' school merged in 1974. Miss Reed was retiring and requested that before she went the younger male teachers might make an erection in the playground so that the girls could shelter in the event of rain. No one laughed out loud but many choking noises were heard.

I was a visiting teacher at Handsworth New Road during the seventies.
I remember the Raising of the School Leaving Age from 15 to 16 which led to the amalgamation of the boys' school with the girls' school next door.
At the Lower school we had an allotment looked after by a lovely old gentleman whose name I've forgotten. Football was played at Black Patch Park until the new pitches were created the other side of Soho Road.
We used to joke that our Further Education provision was just a few hundred yards down the road in Winson Green.
Happy days
Barryjohn
The gardener teacher Was Mr Jackson.

Nick S Phillips 1963-1967

my husband went to handsworth new road between 1960 till 1964 anyone remember him david burke he has sadly not long passed away

I was at H N R from 1963 until 1967, at that time I remember a David Burke but if your dates are correct it would be wrong David.

I am sad for your loss and I hope you are able to make contact with someone who remembers him.

Nick S Phillips
H N R 1962 -1967

Last edited:
I was at H N R from 1963 until 1967, at that time I remember a David Burke but if your dates are correct it would be wrong David.
If your dates are correct in would have been in same year has old friend, if sadly I not seen for a few years.

I am sad for your loss and I hope you are able to make contact with someone who remembers him.

Nick S Phillips
H N R 1962 -1967
hi my david was there 1960 he left 64/65 we were going out then

I feel like the baby - I was there from 79-84.
Teachers I remember Mr Perry, Ms Gray (French Teacher), Mr Turnbull (English), Mr Pyres (Physics) Mr Lancaster (Metalwork), Mr Whiting (Maths), Mrs Paul (History), Mr Adamo (Tech Drawing)

I was at HNR until 1958. I attained the heady position of prefect. I remember hat I didn't do much in the last year but was sent with messages etc up to the annex. I even cooked beans on toast for the teachers up there! I loved the sports ground up City Road - it was an escape from lessons. lived in Markby Road and I also spent a lot of time at Watson's Pool (Sandwell Valley) long before the motorway sliced through. I also remember travelling by tram into town and to the Lickies. Good memories.

Does anyone remember Mrs Voke,used to walk round with a book under her arm if you got anything wrong she whacked you on the head with it.

Teachers I remember Mr Perry, Ms Gray (French Teacher), Mr Turnbull (English), Mr Pyres (Physics) Mr Lancaster (Metalwork), Mr Whiting (Maths), Mrs Paul (History), Mr Adamo (Tech Drawing)
Hello there, I went there during that time too !

I wonder if you remember me?
My name is Abdul, I was the laboratory technician at the time Arthur Pyres was there. I think the Chemistry teacher was mr. Ali and the biology teacher was a very good lady teacher, unfortunately I can't remember her name.

Back