• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Handsworth Hospital

Sandra F

knowlegable brummie
I've just been reading `The Last Tommy' about Harry Patch who died recently. In it he describes being wounded in the 1st WW and being sent to Handsworth Hospital, in Birmingham, to recover. Does anyone know anything about this?

The only one I can remember was Heathfield Hospital, where I was born - but I thought that was just a Maternity hospital? Maybe it was used for the troops when there was a shortage of beds all over the country - does anyone know?

I xan'tthrow any more light on this....but...if you have a look on www.handsworthhistry.co.uk it does give information about the hospital ...and it's a very interesting site, full of photos and personal stories.

Back