• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth grammar school and Zig Zag Bridge's of Brum

O

O.C.

A few years ago a good friend of mine the late Dr Keith Doney who was a teacher of language at Handsworth Grammar School took me on a tour of the school after organizing a talk their about the Great War with a few friends.
Noting my interest in heraldry he told me how and why the school badge was designed and what the zig zag was on the school badge, so trying to remember what he told me and with more info I found, below is the result.
At one time Handsworth was in Staffordshire and references to the old bridge at Perry Barr (known as Perry Pont) were found in the family deeds of the Wyrleys of Hamstead who owned the mill in the meadows in Perry Barr lying near Perry Bridge in 1590, and after a few owners the mill became a blade mill with clauses in the lease to allow fishing from Perry bridge and reserving the right to draw off water for the purpose of repairing the bridge.
(Another mill was erected at Hol Brook which later became a famous wire mill worked by Mr. Webster later it moved to Penn’s Mill then to Hay Mill …Horsfalls and in the late 1800’s the Perry Mill dam became one of the reservoirs of the Birmingham water system)
As the year went by Perry Barr Bridge was kept in good repair by a trust that had been set up which eventually founded Handsworth Grammar School in 1862.
The school badge which is still in use today was designed with the Staffordshire knot on the top and underneath a representation of the Zig Zag Perry Barr Bridge.
The old Bridge was due to be demolished in 1890’s but there was such an outcry, the idea was abandoned when folk learnt of its history going back the times when Henry V111 had his hunting lodge nearby at Sheldon Hall in the Great forests that stretched over the land.
In the year 1327 Perry’s 11 people were taxed £1 -17shillings and 2 pence
The Bridge has never had to endure any undue strain caused by the water hence its good condition, its time eaten stones with its V shaped recesses make it a very unique bridge which in its style very few have survived. Today it’s hardly noticed as you go over the new bridge that was built alongside the old Zig Zag Bridge on the Aldridge Rd
One which has survived and almost identical is the old Zig Zag Bridge at Water Orton which was built a few hundred years later in the 16th century with the stone from the old manor house and looking at it today is hard to say whether it will survive for another few hundred years with the pounding its taking by the traffic that goes over it daily which it was not designed for
First pic is the badge 1940 This image unfortunately lost
2nd pic badge today (but the colour might be wrong) Image replaced
Badge%20today%20%20Handsworth%20Grammar.jpg
1830 map image replaced
Perry%20Bridge%20map.jpgPerry%20Bridge%20map.jpg

Perry Bridge 1890 photo replaced
Perry%20Bridge%201890.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
1st pic is the Zig Zag Perry Bridge
2nd pic is 1905 Perry Bridge
3rd pic is the old alongside the new bridge
Photos replaced, probably the same as original
Zig bZag Perry bridge.jpg

1905%20Perry%20bridge.jpg1905%20Perry%20bridge.jpg
AA%20Old%20and%20New%20Zig%20Zag.jpg

1st Pic Water Orton Bridge
2nd Pic Perry Bridge 1932
Lost Photos replaced

Water%20Orton%20Bridge.jpg

Perry%20Bridge%201932.jpg

3 pics of Handsworth Grammar School
Photos replaced, not necessarily the same as original

handsworth grammar school.jpegHandsworth%20Grammae school 1960.jpgHandsworth%20Grammar school.jpg

A very interesting story Graham my cousin went to Handsworth Grammar, just to add, I found this article from the Sunday Mercury 1982
Story of a Bridge
On the Aldridge-Birmingham road at Perry Barr there is an old narrow bridge. This is the bridge over the river Thame and was just wide enough for single traffic no footpath or pavement, but every few yards on either side there is a triangular recess for pedestrians to take refuge when a vehicle was crossing. These recesses gave it the name zig zag bridge. How many of us know that the bridge was built in 1309 and there was originally a Roman bridge? The original name is Perry Point and there is strong testimony that there was a ford over the Thame as far back as 2,000 year's ago. In 1930 the powers that be decided to build a new bridge alongside the original, despite the extra expenditure involved. The bridge is now only used by pedestrians.

Here is a picture of the top of the bridge I am not sure of the date but I would think is like yours Graham around 1930.

There are a lot of pics pn the Digital Handsworth web site of the old and new bridges at Aldridge Road taken while and after the new bridge was being built.
Peter

Many thanks for the reminder Cromwell. I have to confess that I went to the Bridge Trust School, in my days known as Handsworth Grammar. As a grammar grub I often had to choose my way home to avoid being gobbed on especially on CCF(Combined Cadet Core) days when I wore my naval uniform. I chose the navy to avoid a whole afternoon of marching up and down. By the way, great photos

ps I've still got my cap badge; the colour is more yellow than your copy. The schoo; colours are officially black and gold

Back