• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth Grammar School 1950--1960

Hi Lady Penelope; I remember David Wooley from my years at HGS 1952-1958 so he should be on the 2 photos that are posted by 'Enzothebaker', David was one year ahead of me as I was born in April of 1941.
Sorry for the delay Robin. I still haven't found David but will keep looking.
I was talking to Dave Reeves last Sunday who lived quite near to you in Court Lane and remembers your family well. The name Quentin Blower came up and apparently he went to Handsworth Grammar. He would have been around your age so do you remember him?

Charlie Peck was Mr G. M. Hilbourne BSc. He is shown as the Second Master [aka deputy headmaster] in my old and badly marked copy of the School Calendar for 1956-57. I have no idea why he was called Charlie Peck. I believe he retired in 1959 or 1960. I think there is a biography of him in the book published to mark the HGS centenary in 1963.View attachment 156616
I am Chris Davies, & I attended HGS from 1952-57. The names shown bring back a lot of memories. Can't find me
on the school pics. Attached is a copy of the front inside page of my copy of The Bridge when I left in 57. Anyone recognise any of the signatures?
Charlie Peck was Mr G. M. Hilbourne BSc. He is shown as the Second Master [aka deputy headmaster] in my old and badly marked copy of the School Calendar for 1956-57. I have no idea why he was called Charlie Peck. I believe he retired in 1959 or 1960. I think there is a biography of him in the book published to mark the HGS centenary in 1963.View attachment 156616

I am Chris Davies, & I attended HGS from 1952-57. The names shown bring back a lot of memories. Can't find me
on the school pics. Attached is a copy of the front inside page of my copy of The Bridge when I left in 57. Anyone recognise any of the signatures?
Chris, Have a look at this 1957 photo, see if you can see yourself? I have a higher resolution but I don't think the forum would go that high. Perhaps look for friends in the same form.

HGS-July-1957W2.jpg

I have no idea why he was called Charlie Peck, perhaps his first name was Gregory.
He retired in 1957, and died in 1960 see attached from Centenary Book

Hilbourne.jpg

Sir Mark Rowley has been named as the new commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, taking over the role vacated by Dame Cressida Dick.
At Handsworth Grammar School 1976-1983

skynews-mark-rowley-cressida_5827891.jpg

The School had a successful football history with their various teams. Viv.

53F9F6E9-8AFE-4033-99CC-6493068D76EC.jpeg

Source: British Newspaper Archive

If my memory at 80 is still active, didn't Spooners also sell donuts out of the rear window of the dining room at a penny each?? Reading Mr. Darby's name [ Frenchie???] brought back painful memories as he suffered from 'small manitus' and used a gym pump to administer his choice of punishment. For some reason, I received 6 slaps, later that night I had a bath and my Dad, a mounted policeman based in Handsworth Police Stn, 'walked into the bathroom and saw the welts on my backside. He asked me where they had come from, I told him and I found out a couple of years later that my Dad had visited 'Joe W' headmaster and had a chat with him about severe abuse of a child, which came with an official warning.
Robin tentatively referred to Mr Darby as "Frenchie".
When I was at HGS (1951-1959) we called him "Arthur". I don't know why - his initials were R B Darby.
I have no recollection of anyone being beaten by him.
John Ball
1A (1951-52), 2A (1952-53), 3A (1953-54), 4A (1954-55), 5A (1955-56), VI Science i (1956-57), VI Science ii (1957-58), VI Science iii (1958-59)

Back