• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth Grammar School 1950--1960

RobinCanada

knowlegable brummie
I attended Handsworth Grammar School from 1953-1958. I am searching for pictures of the uniforms worn in those years. Also the names of the sweet shop at the rear of the school and the donut shop across the road at the front of the school on Grove Lane.
My kids bought me a subscription to Storywise.com and each week a question is sent to me, I submit my written answer and it is stored then after 52 replies are submitted they put my answers in book form. The question this week 'who was the best teacher you had at school' without a doubt it was the "fearful" Miss Keeling who drummed maths into you or else??

I was at HGS from 1956-62, here is part of the school photo from 1957, centre of photo is Miss Keeling, and I have a photo of the sweet shop at the rear of the school but it was taken in the 1920s!

HGS-July-1957-MastersW.jpg
dawson rd shop 1920s.jpg

This should also bring back some memories
Who is the one crossed out? Looks like a Crafts Teacher.

teachers.jpg

In 1955 the corner shop, 23 Dawson Road/Woodstock Road, (Kelly's 1955)
was owned by Mrs Elsie Goodyear, Shopkpr

Last edited:
RobinCanada,When I read your message again, I saw you mentioned the shop at the front of the school, in Grove Lane, I think this may have been called Spooners. Spooners Grove Lane Handswrth.jpg

Thank you so much RobT, you and I must be on the same 1957 photo you copied. I still have the original, I am on the left side of the photo on the back row 5th from the end.
If my memory at 80 is still active, didn't Spooners also sell donuts out of the rear window of the dining room at a penny each?? Reading Mr. Darby's name [ Frenchie???] brought back painful memories as he suffered from 'small manitus' and used a gym pump to administer his choice of punishment. For some reason, I received 6 slaps, later that night I had a bath and my Dad, a mounted policeman based in Handsworth Police Stn, 'walked into the bathroom and saw the welts on my backside. He asked me where they had come from, I told him and I found out a couple of years later that my Dad had visited 'Joe W' headmaster and had a chat with him about severe abuse of a child, which came with an official warning.
I selected Miss Keeling as the best teacher I ever had as she taught maths in an easily understood manner, she always wore her glasses perched on the end of her nose which made me curious, I managed to get into Northampton College U of London helped by my maths mark and I studied Ophthalmic Optics, on the second week being there I learned from a lecture on spectacle lenses that if you slid reading glasses down you nose it increases the magnification power. Also, Bifocals were still in their infancy and were not really liked, so Miss Keeling's option really worked for her, especially helping her look up over the top of her glasses and down through the lenses for reading or close work.

Attachments

• DSCF4639.JPG
    DSCF4639.JPG
    532.7 KB · Views: 4
Spooners Bakery, apparently had a meat slicing machine, where you could have an ounce of fresh cut ham and a buttered roll. Crusty rolls, 2oz ham and bread pudding.
Grannies had boiled sweets, trays of toffee.
It has been said that 'Miss Keeling's' name was Janet
There was also a teacher Mr A.P.Lawrence (Apple) who got pupils to 'do his gardening'
I also have a book Handsworth Grammar School (1862-1962), compiled and edited by
Rev JJ Walton, and D.L.Gregory (head of History)

Also these taken later than we were at HGS will bring back some memories

HGS-building-2W.jpgHGS-buildingW.jpg

That gap area between the ^th form room on the left and the classrooms on the right triggered my memory again, one of the teachers ?? owned a Bond Minicar and he used to park there, during one of the breaks a group of students picked up the car and turned it so that it was the width of the gap. When I was at HGS the milk was stacked in crates on that corner.

I should be in Robt’s photo but as he says that is a part - the middle part. I am on one of the missing bits on the left but many of my class and friends are there. I have a copy of the whole that I got off the Handsworth Grammar site. I lost my copy. For some reason I took my copy to the Stagedoor Club Coffee bar one night and left it on the floor. I forgot to take it home and the next day when I went back it couldn’t be found.
Miss Keeling, by the way lived in Small Heath just round the corner from my sister’s house. It bought back “happy” memories when I walked past her house.
I certainly remember the car that was bounced round into the gap; I didn’t take part but saw it happen.

Michael if my memory serves me correct, I am sure you were in the same class as me, as your name rings large bells in my head.
Robin Searle

Hello. I was at HGS during the fifties when Holy Joe was the head. The teachers I most remember were Mr West who took us for English in the Sixth Form and who left me with a lasting love of Jane Austen and Mr Page who took us for music. I also remember a physics teacher, whose name escapes me, who if we misbehaved made us chew chalk. Can you imagine what would happen to a teacher who tried that today. And does anybody remember the CCF? I was in the naval section and had a great time going on various courses and messing about in boats. Incidentally, the Mr West mentioned above was in charge of the naval section.

I should be in Robt’s photo but as he says that is a part - the middle part. I am on one of the missing bits on the left but many of my class and friends are there. I have a copy of the whole that I got off the Handsworth Grammar site.
I am on the lower 1957 photo here
EPSON007RRW.jpg
HGS-July-1957RW.jpg

Robin Searle, I certainly remember that name. Where are you in the photo?
As for me when I saw the two side photos I was totally puzzled - where am I? They couldn'thandsworth2.jpg Photoshop me out in those days although they might have tried. I am surprised that they let me into the photo session (my shirt).
Anyway after searching through my stuff I realised that there was still a bit of the photo missing - between the centre and the left hand side. See attached.

I should be in Robt’s photo but as he says that is a part - the middle part. I am on one of the missing bits on the left but many of my class and friends are there. I have a copy of the whole that I got off the Handsworth Grammar site. I lost my copy. For some reason I took my copy to the Stagedoor Club Coffee bar one night and left it on the floor. I forgot to take it home and the next day when I went back it couldn’t be found.
Miss Keeling, by the way lived in Small Heath just round the corner from my sister’s house. It bought back “happy” memories when I walked past her house.
I certainly remember the car that was bounced round into the gap; I didn’t take part but saw it happen
Hi Michael. Many thanks for posting the school photo. I lost all mine many years ago. After zooming in by about 500 % I managed to find myself. I can't believe I ever looked that young. If anybody has any CCF photos for the 50s I would be really interested to see them.

I'm having trouble with my maths and term times! Would someone born in September 1940 be on your photo please? My cousin, David Woolley, went to Handsworth Grammar but may have left for Uni by the time of your photo.

Thank you so much RobT, you and I must be on the same 1957 photo you copied. I still have the original, I am on the left side of the photo on the back row 5th from the end.
If my memory at 80 is still active, didn't Spooners also sell donuts out of the rear window of the dining room at a penny each?? Reading Mr. Darby's name [ Frenchie???] brought back painful memories as he suffered from 'small manitus' and used a gym pump to administer his choice of punishment. For some reason, I received 6 slaps, later that night I had a bath and my Dad, a mounted policeman based in Handsworth Police Stn, 'walked into the bathroom and saw the welts on my backside. He asked me where they had come from, I told him and I found out a couple of years later that my Dad had visited 'Joe W' headmaster and had a chat with him about severe abuse of a child, which came with an official warning.
I selected Miss Keeling as the best teacher I ever had as she taught maths in an easily understood manner, she always wore her glasses perched on the end of her nose which made me curious, I managed to get into Northampton College U of London helped by my maths mark and I studied Ophthalmic Optics, on the second week being there I learned from a lecture on spectacle lenses that if you slid reading glasses down you nose it increases the magnification power. Also, Bifocals were still in their infancy and were not really liked, so Miss Keeling's option really worked for her, especially helping her look up over the top of her glasses and down through the lenses for reading or close work.
Interesting you mention Miss Keeling - the '60's was still a time when 'jobs for life' still operated. A school photo of the staff for 1923/4 shows both Miss Keeling and Mr. Hutchinson (Pot?), and they were plodding on until 1962 for Miss Keeling and Hutch was there when I left in '63! The 'Centenary Book' shows that many teachers began service in the 40's.HGS 1923.4 (2).jpg

I was at HGS from 1956-62, here is part of the school photo from 1957, centre of photo is Miss Keeling, and I have a photo of the sweet shop at the rear of the school but it was taken in the 1920s!

View attachment 153124
View attachment 153126

This should also bring back some memories
Who is the one crossed out? Looks like a Crafts Teacher.

View attachment 153127

In 1955 the corner shop, 23 Dawson Road/Woodstock Road, (Kelly's 1955)
was owned by Mrs Elsie Goodyear, Shopkpr
Missing teacher was Ted Kearsley who 'taught' crafts and woodwork. Seem to remember his classes were a bit of a free-for-all and 'throw things about' time....

Back