• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Handsworth Flower Show

jennyann

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
The first time I remember going to Handsworth Park to attend the
Flower Show, which in subsequent years, became the Birmingham Show,
was 1947. It was quite an amazing event for a young child to be taken in those years following the Second World War. We would take the No. 11 Outer Circle bus to Church Lane and walk down to Handsworth Park, passing some very large houses that backed on to the Park. The area was rather upscale at that time.
The Park, itself was transformed by huge white Marquees and a large fairground with all kinds of rides, swings, carousels, Dodgems, etc. Since people were very much into growing vegetables and flowers in those days the tents that housed the flowers and produce were very popular. All the flowers and vegetables that had been grown and put on show seemed
to be the essence of perfection. The runner beans were the longest and straightest ever seen, the pea pods full of fat peas, cauliflowers with perfect snow white centres, cabbages…seed catalogue perfect, potatoes all scrubbed and shiny, parsnips golden yellow and nary a mark on them; carrots and many other vegetables also perfectly formed and displayed with such care. These didn't much resemble the offerings of the local greengrocers!!! The exhibitors would stand by their displays for hours and keep an eye on their prize vegetables. There was much competition between regular competitors and many secrets were employed to make sure these vegetables were almost guaranteed to win a ribbon preferably one of a blue colour - First Prize.

The Flower exhibit tent was also a sight to behold. I particularly remember rows of amazing chrysanthemums the size of plates and all colours of the rainbow, roses of many varieties along with many many other types of flowers all exquisitely displayed. There were many stories among the exhibitors of staying up all night to watch their prize winning blooms to make sure nothing befell them before the week of the Show. The dahlias were also very spectacular. Visitors were invited to buy flowers and seeds. With lots of people, dreaming of such horticulutural successes that were spread out before them in these tents, selling seeds wasn't to them wasn't to difficult a task. The prize winning African Violets and miniature ornamental gardens with little pools full of gold fish of all sizes were very popular to view.

I remember the marquee with the Dogs and also the Dog Walking event
with so many different types of dogs strutting their stuff with their handlers. There was also a tent with Cats who were judged in their different classes. All pampered and looking bored. I believe they had rabbits, guinea pigs and hamsters also. I seem to remember a Cage Bird section also.

In the late afternoon, Ted Heath and his band were playing and everyone
sat on the grass above the fairground and listened as the full band played
all the favourite tunes of the day. Many people would bring picnics and flasks of tea for sustenance but you could buy tea and cakes at the Tea Tent and Orange Juice and Pop for the kids along with Ice Cream and the inevitable Candy Floss at the Fairground.

In the evening the lights would come on and the lake had lights all around it. The music would seem louder at the Fair and all the lights would twinkle on the rides. The finale of the evening was the fireworks display. Apart from all the rockets, golden showers, etc. I remember a huge display of
the outlines of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Phillip all lit up and wishing them the very best. This was the year that they were married and it was a salute to them.

After the fireworks everyone left to catch their buses or walk home. Birmingham Transport would lay on extra buses so no one had to wait very
long for a bus.

Handsworth Park, a super place for the Birmingham Show and brings back memories of times spent there in those long ago golden days.

Handsworth Park

I was 11 in 1947 and I can't remember much about the flower show, but I can remember the fair. I only had enough money to have one go on the machine with the flashing lights that run up and down a panel of numbers. It landed on my number, and I had to choose a prize.
I picked a tea service for my mom, and carefully carried it the two miles to my home in Lennox Street. I have never won anything since.

Jennyann, I dont recall the Flower show being held in Handsworth Park.........but I felt I was actually there when I read your recollection of it.........well written........Please say that John/Rod could put it on the Handsworth Site too :) I am waiting for a story from the daughter of a chap who used to grow crysthanthamums for the show, he was well known in Handsworth and The Uplands allottments for his Flowers.
My recollection of the Flower show was it being held in Perry Barr Park, I have a photo of me holding a very small, dressed-up monkey, which, of course is completely out of order now, but at the time, I recall queues to hold them. :(

Handsworth Flower Show

Thanks very much for your message, Sue. Certainly you can use the Flower Show message on the Handsworth site. There are a couple of typos near the end though.
I remember very well that it was mostly men who grew beautiful flowers and veggies in their gardens and allotments and that there was a lot of healthy competition involved around Flower Show time. I can remember seeing those old chimney pots tops being used on the allotments to grow root vegetables such as parsnips and carrots. The veg seeds planted inside the chimney pots which were sunk into the ground had no where to go but straight down. They were usually planted in a"secret soil mix" and fed with a top secret compost mix. These growers were very creative
in those days and learned by trial and error mostly. No huge Garden Centres in those days!!!!
I am not sure if the Flower Show being held at Handsworth Park was a one off. I seem to think it may have been held there a couple of times. I certainly remember it being held at Perry Park even in the l970's.
I was over in Britain on a holiday and went with my parents.
It was just as amazing all those years later and many more garden
accessories were available. I also remember Bonsai Trees being on display. The fair was there also.
Do they still have anything like that these days In Brum? I know that they have Gardening Shows at the NEC.
Here is a link to look at some Birmingham flower growing achievements
at specialty group shows https://freespace.virgin.net/a.meek/BGSPages/.
Just hit any of the links on the left hand side for lovely pictures.

Also, here's some information regarding past uses of Handsworth Park taken from some Parliamentary submissions by The Handsworth Park Association in May 1999 I believe this was submitted in
association with the fight to save the Victoria Jubilee Allotments...

"In 1911 Handsworth Park came under the control of Birmingham Corporation and there, densely surrounded by houses, as its founders had foreseen, it thrived for half a century under the guardianship of the City's Parks Committee and a ground staff of at least 16 people. Many events were run as a matter of course in Handsworth Park. It hosted the Birmingham Flower Show, annual Jamborees for the Scouts and Girl Guides, horse shows, cycle races, walking events and other local and citywide celebrations, until during the 1970s as the problem of car parking and access reduced its availability for city wide events and with the diminishing power of Birmingham City Council to exercise their previous stewardship, its fortunes faltered . . .

. . . Unlike Kew Gardens or Hyde Park in London or Sefton Park in Liverpool—which inspired the creator of New York's Central Park—larger history ignores the name of Handsworth Park implying that this and other such parks not on tourist itineraries, might have been valuable in their heyday, but have little significance for the current population. Such history regards a local history of the Park as mainly concerned with enriching the memories of a shrinking minority . . . Another generation is taking part in a different history—written from a forensic perspective analysing urban pathology."

The rest of the submission can be found at
https://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm199899/cmselect/cmenvtra/477/477mem36.htm

I totally disagree with the statements made in the second paragraph above by the way

I can remember going to the flower show in Handsworth Park until it moved to Perry Hall/ Perry Barr? in the 70s, i think it moved because it was considered that it did not represent the interest of the growing ethnic population. But now of course the Uplands Allotments is a wonderful cultural mix. My Dad had a patch there during the 50/60s he moved to the Uplands when they built Grestone school on the one he had in Grestone Avenue.

Going to the Flower Show was always an exciting time for me and my brother Alan. My dad and two older brothers were all part of the Civil Defence Rescue and they would usually be on duty giving demonstrations.

I remember seeing Johnny Kid and the Pirates at one such show singing "I'll never get over you" I think. Mom always ended up taking bunches of flowers home at the end of the event, our house smelled like the flower tent for days.

:) My mom took me to the flower show, not sure how many times she did, but I do remember that after one visit she spent hours perfecting the paper flowers that she made out of crepe and tissue paper until they really looked like the real thing. She would also sprayed her flowers with diluted Evening in Paris, or White Fire and in some cases like Tulips waxed them with melted candle wax to make the petals stand up straight 8) .
Rod every time you mention a Group, or a song in your posts you bring back so many memories to me that have been pushed to the back of my mind for years and that Johnny Kid track is no exception.
:wink: :)

I used to go to the Flower Show, it was a such a big event.

Is the park still there. :?:

I also remembeer a cemetary close by. Did we walk through it as a short cut into the park? Some of the graves were surrounded by iron railings, and I think they survived the war effort.

Diana,

Yes, the park is still there. It's fairly run down at the moment but, I understand, about £7million has been allocated to bring it up to scratch again. We'll wait and see 'cos I heard that about 18 months ago and there hasn't been much done yet.

The graveyard you walked through was that of St Mary's parish church. I spent hours looking for Matthew Boulton's grave there, only to find, years after, that he's actually buried in the crypt under the church. :shock:

I believe they stopped having the Flower Show at the park because of difficulties with traffic and parking in the local streets. (Strange how this didn't affect Handsworth Carnival until relatively recently. :roll: )

One of the last years the show was held must've been 1969, the year I married Mrs Paulj. We were left short of button holes because the suppliers was exhibiting most of their stock at the show. :?

Back