• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Handsworth Dairies

Welcome Caroline. We’d love to hear if you have any memories to share. Meanwhile, enjoy the Forum. Viv.

Hi my name is Caroline, my father was David White the last managing director or Birmingham Dairies and the older brother of Elizabeth.
I am delighted to say that Elizabeth is still alive and very well
Hi Caroline, my father worked for Birmingham Caries from the early 60's until his death in 1984. (Bill Clifford).

I lived at 79 Island Road, which was one of a pair of houses within the dairy complex, from 1948-1953. At this time my father was Sales manager at the dairy.

Patty,

my wife says the family who owned Handsworth Dairies when she worked there was called White. We used the Garden Gate on occasion, too. Nice pub back then, haven't been in for years and years.

Dave Bath,

weird, but my wife doesn't recognise either of the two names you mention!!

Big Gee
The white family consisted of Jack White chairman. David white m.d .Richard white director .John white over transport, and vera Westwood bakery.
I worked in the bakery side for about 17 years as bakery manager when Arthur Williams retired.
Some of the best days of my life

I helped the Handsworth Dairies milk man late fifties until they banned young helpers. Best part was helping to steer using the big triangular steering device, can‘t call it a wheel.

Hi to you all, Does anyone remember a Beryl Stokes who worked at the Daries in Island road part time in the fifties, she also had a horse, and she lived in Churchill road Handsworth I worked with her and wonder how she is, I haven't seen her since 1958

valerieexbrummie
Hi there my name is Bill
Bak
Hi to you all, Does anyone remember a Beryl Stokes who worked at the Daries in Island road part time in the fifties, she also had a horse, and she lived in Churchill road Handsworth I worked with her and wonder how she is, I haven't seen her since 1958

valerieexbrummie
Hi there my name is Bill Baker my father Bill Baker snr was blacksmith with Sid Roberts up till the late 50s when they went over to all electric trucks, Beryl Stokes came to our house regular with her friend Enid Roberts whose parents had a hardware shop on Soho Road opposite the old Regal cinema,, we lived in Grove Vale Great Barr by the White family at the milk depot, beryl lived in Wolverhampton back in the 1990s Enid lives in Herefordshire doses anyone know wheather or where Stephanie White lives now

Hi my name is Caroline, my father was David White the last managing director or Birmingham Dairies and the older brother of Elizabeth.
Hi there my name is Bill Baker my father was blacksmith farrier up till late 1950s we lived in the cottage next to the Whites house in Grove Vale Great Barr I remember Elizabeth Richard, John, [known as Canada John then] and your father David please remember me to all if possible, Would you know if Stephanie White daughter of Bessie is still a live , if so remember me to her as we used to all hang about together at different times back in the 1950s thanks hoping to hear from you soon Billy B.

Is viera Westwood still alive as I remember her from the bakery and I remember David on a Saturday morning calling in for his Loaf of fresh bread

Hello,
my name is Chris, I knew your father as I was an apprentice electric vehicle fitter from 1970 to 74.
I started at the Island Rd depot in 74 under an engineer called Mr Cook. David White, or Mr David as we called him, was always very well dressed and very smart looking, I remember he drove a Rover V8.

Hi Caroline, my father worked for Birmingham Caries from the early 60's until his death in 1984. (Bill Clifford).
I knew Bill Clifford, for a time, I worked at the Bromsgrove depot as an Electric Vehicle fitter (catshill depot)1970/74
Starting from Island Rd depot I would visit the small depot at catshill about 2 days each week.

Stephen died just outside Caen Just after the D day landings as said after trying to save a colleague. He was my uncle and my father, John White, was involved with the dairy as Joint MD until it was eventually sold in the early 90's.

Bessie married Paul, a great man, who blessed our wedding. Handsworth Dairies has a remarkable story. It brought Cartoning and Tetrapak (Purepak) to the UK. It had the first computerised production line in Europe and in the 80's was one of the largest private dairies in Europe.
Hi.
I remember "Tetrapak" being installed at the dairy, it was done by American fitters.
I was an Electric vehicle fitter at the site, actually, an apprentice from 1970-74.
I also remember John White Snr. being a Director.

Do you know what happened to Mr John White? he was the Transport Manager.

I helped the Handsworth Dairies milk man late fifties until they banned young helpers. Best part was helping to steer using the big triangular steering device, can‘t call it a wheel.
It was called the "Tiller-bar" I was a fitter servicing those vehicles.
I remember one very cold winter when I needed to move the vehicle by road to another depot. The Tiller-bar was very handy to steer the vehicle with my knees as my hands were in my pockets, it was too cold! 5-mph was all it managed.

Hi, I am the eldest son of Elizabeth Griffiths (nee White), and a cousin of Caroline. I am sad to report that Caroline passed away earlier this year. However, Elizabeth (Liz) is still fit and well and now lives in Hythe, Kent.

Hi there my name is Bill Baker my father was blacksmith farrier up till late 1950s we lived in the cottage next to the Whites house in Grove Vale Great Barr I remember Elizabeth Richard, John, [known as Canada John then] and your father David please remember me to all if possible, Would you know if Stephanie White daughter of Bessie is still a live , if so remember me to her as we used to all hang about together at different times back in the 1950s thanks hoping to hear from you soon Billy B.
Hi Bill, my mother is Elizabeth, she married Jo Griffiths, who also worked at the dairy in the 50s. From my family history research, I believe that Stephanie passed away in 2007. Uncle John is also still with us, however, David and Richard have both sadly passed away.

Hi Bill, my mother is Elizabeth, she married Jo Griffiths, who also worked at the dairy in the 50s. From my family history research, I believe that Stephanie passed away in 2007. Uncle John is also still with us, however, David and Richard have both sadly passed away.
HI There It was so sad to hear that David, Richard, Stephanie and Caroline ,had all passed away remember me to your mom and give my love to her ,I still have a lot of memories from Grove Vale back in the 1950 I know your mom was a bit older than me, sorry but how old is she now? I am 76 Take care and god bless you. thanks Bill Baker.

Hi Bill, mum is 82 now. I will remember you to her next time I call her. I remember visiting the farm house at Grove Vale at Christmas when I was very young. Grandpa Jack used to take us for walks up along the canal. Best wishes, Rupert.

Hi Rupert thanks for reply did you know john white son of Carlton White or Valerie White daughter of Val White if so are they both still alive and well still think back to the 50s and wonder whether these people are still alive or passed on thanks for your time Bill Baker

Hi Rupert thanks for reply did you know john white son of Carlton White or Valerie White daughter of Val White if so are they both still alive and well still think back to the 50s and wonder whether these people are still alive or passed on thanks for your time Bill Baker
Hi Bill, I never met John, I met Valerie a few times, she was married to David Westwood. Both have now sadly passed away in the last 10 years. I never thought to mention it earlier, but I named our house "Grove Vale". I spoke to mum this morning and she remembers both you and your father. She said that they all lived in one of the cottages for a while after returning from being evacuated at the start of WWII. Best wishes, Rupert

Do you know what happened to Mr John White? he was the Transport Manager.
Hi John White is my dad.He is alive and well and living in Hagley.
He retired in the early 1990's following the sale of the business to Avonmore. He has four children Sue ,Rob, Vanessa and me , we all live nearby.
All the best Jon White

Back