• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth Dairies

Hi. I have just joined this forum and found this particular topic very relevant as my grandfathers cousins Carleton and Percy White founded Handsworth Dairies sometime between 1901 and 1911 when they moved from Charlton Kings, near Cheltenham to Handsworth with their older sister Jane.

Does anyone know the history of Handsworth Dairies, or if any of the family are still alive, such as Elizabeth White that Valerie mentioned? I have only managed to work down one more generation from from Carleton and Percy.

Looking forward to your replies

Chas

Hi All I know abt the White family is that Elizabeth Whites mother married the vicar of St Pauls in the jewellery qtr, I don't know when, from valerieexbrummie

Believe it or not that does help. Carleton Whites eldest son Stephen John was killed in action in 1944. So assuming he was married and Elizabeth was his daughter that could very well tie in. I'll see if there is an e-mail contact for the church, if there is I should be able to see if they can tell me who the vicars were between 1940 and 1950 and check against the BMD indexes.
Thanks
Chas

Made redundant in 2001 after 10 years of what was the best Job I ever had, going to Perry Pont after doing General Haulage that job was great. Delivered to all regional depots with an Artic, not a horse.

Hi to you all, Does anyone remember a Beryl Stokes who worked at the Daries in Island road part time in the fifties, she also had a horse, and she lived in Churchill road Handsworth I worked with her and wonder how she is, I haven't seen her since 1958

valerieexbrummie

hi I have just joined this website , my great auntie Bessie married Stephen White who was the son and he died in the war in 1942 just before his daughter Stephanie was born . Stephen was an officer in the war and died saving one of his men .

Stephen died just outside Caen Just after the D day landings as said after trying to save a colleague. He was my uncle and my father, John White, was involved with the dairy as Joint MD until it was eventually sold in the early 90's.

Bessie married Paul, a great man, who blessed our wedding. Handsworth Dairies has a remarkable story. It brought Cartoning and Tetrapak (Purepak) to the UK. It had the first computerised production line in Europe and in the 80's was one of the largest private dairies in Europe.

Stephen died just outside Caen Just after the D day landings as said after trying to save a colleague. He was my uncle and my father, John White, was involved with the dairy as Joint MD until it was eventually sold in the early 90's.

Bessie married Paul, a great man, who blessed our wedding. Handsworth Dairies has a remarkable story. It brought Cartoning and Tetrapak (Purepak) to the UK. It had the first computerised production line in Europe and in the 80's was one of the largest private dairies in Europe.

very interesting. I lived right by the daries from 1939 to 1958 I remember fetching 6 pennyworth of ice cream in a cup from the shop. and until they built a wall, I could watch the loading and unloading from my bedroom window. I went to school with Elizabeth White,1947 to 1950 do you know how she is? I used to work with a lady who worked at the daries weekends, looking after the horses, her name was Beryl Stokes. but we lost touch look forward to your comments. Valerie exbrummie

How strange simon . mom was just saying that she remembers Stephens small sports car , sorry moms not very good on cars . Auntie Bessie was my dads cousin and we were supposed to go out and see them in Rhodesia but unfortunately they flee . Uncle paul was indeed a very nice man and was oxford educated he had been a prisoner of war in Changi prison . My dad had a shop in rookery road so did my moms side of the family .

How strange simon . mom was just saying that she remembers Stephens small sports car , sorry moms not very good on cars . Auntie Bessie was my dads cousin and we were supposed to go out and see them in Rhodesia but unfortunately they flee . Uncle paul was indeed a very nice man and was oxford educated he had been a prisoner of war in Changi prison . My dad had a shop in rookery road so did my moms side of the family .
Sorry to be so slow to reply. Edit. Please contact me via the Inbox tab at the top of this page. Paul Boroughs was Bessies second Husband after Stephen. Paul was an Oxford Blue and a bishop in Africa. Lovely man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Simon. Thanks for posting I have removed your email address as we don't recommend members make it visible on the Forum. It can attract unwanted messages etc. Suggest you email thetraveller using the 'Inbox' tab at the top of the page. Select "start a conversation" then enter the members name in the box. Good luck with making contact. Viv.

Welcome Caroline. We’d love to hear if you have any memories to share. Meanwhile, enjoy the Forum. Viv.

Hi my name is Caroline, my father was David White the last managing director or Birmingham Dairies and the older brother of Elizabeth.
I am delighted to say that Elizabeth is still alive and very well
Hi Caroline, my father worked for Birmingham Caries from the early 60's until his death in 1984. (Bill Clifford).

I lived at 79 Island Road, which was one of a pair of houses within the dairy complex, from 1948-1953. At this time my father was Sales manager at the dairy.

Patty,

my wife says the family who owned Handsworth Dairies when she worked there was called White. We used the Garden Gate on occasion, too. Nice pub back then, haven't been in for years and years.

Dave Bath,

weird, but my wife doesn't recognise either of the two names you mention!!

Big Gee
The white family consisted of Jack White chairman. David white m.d .Richard white director .John white over transport, and vera Westwood bakery.
I worked in the bakery side for about 17 years as bakery manager when Arthur Williams retired.
Some of the best days of my life

Back