• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth Cemetery - grave locating

Molly_MacD

master brummie
I was able to purchase the burial records for both my gg and ggg grandmothers who are buried in Handsworth Section 8. They were both buried with "common" stones (Caroline's listed as common 16/6 S746 if I'm reading correctly with Mary Ann's just reading common). Under consecrated ground it is listed as A under each - so I'm assuming that means unconsecrated (no surprise there)

Does anyone know if there is a service that photographs graves that I could hire (I also have plot numbers). Would there even be stones left? I'm not sure it this is a well taken care of area of the cemetery.

Actually when I re-read the Burial record it actually reads "type of grave - common" So I am guessing there is not going to be a stone :(
They do have plot numbers
Caroline - Section 8, plot 2733
Mary Ann -Section 8 plot 1846

but I'm guessing that will not yield much information.

If it says "Handsworth" then I would expect that to be Handsworth cemetery run by Birmingham Council rather than a churchyard. It is a very large and, last time I visited, seemed well maintained.
It is unlikely there is a stone if it is a "common" grave but you should be able to locate the plot.

If it says "Handsworth" then I would expect that to be Handsworth cemetery run by Birmingham Council rather than a churchyard. It is a very large and, last time I visited, seemed well maintained.
It is unlikely there is a stone if it is a "common" grave but you should be able to locate the plot.
This makes sense. I did notice on some of the records on the page (Caroline's included) there is a penciled in name - the heading at the top of the page reads "Rank or Profession" , which doesn't make sense. Do you happen to have any insight or came across this before? The one with Caroline's name looks like it says "Thomas Richard Nock". Capture.JPG

This is a bit of a guess. 41 Chantry Road is the address of Thomas Richard Nock (I found him on erolls) but the entry is for an F (female) so I am wondering if he was involved in paying or organising the burial in some way.
Similarly Laura Jane Dean at 34 Victoria Road is listed by a burial for an M (male) - again I found her on the eroll as a widow at that address so guess the burial was for her husband.
That makes me think no name means council organised burial not a relative. As I said it is a guess.
The numbers after the words "common" - ie 16/6 are I think amounts of money. Pre decimal (I am showing my age here :D ) 16/6 was 16 shillings and pence. 3/10/- would have been £3 and 10 shillings. (I did a look up and £3 would be worth about £190 today). I have no idea if that would be reflective of prices in those days.

I was able to purchase the burial records for both my gg and ggg grandmothers who are buried in Handsworth Section 8. They were both buried with "common" stones (Caroline's listed as common 16/6 S746 if I'm reading correctly with Mary Ann's just reading common). Under consecrated ground it is listed as A under each - so I'm assuming that means unconsecrated (no surprise there)

Does anyone know if there is a service that photographs graves that I could hire (I also have plot numbers). Would there even be stones left? I'm not sure it this is a well taken care of area of the cemetery.
Are you able to post the column headings?
Hi

i was wondering if you could help me
i am trying to locate my brothers grave, i have his plot number
it says under situation of grave (square and class) - 44 so i guess it is PLOT 44 and then number of grave as 21273. he was one when he died.
how can i locate his grave - i want to visit him and how can i identify which is his grave? as he dont have a headstone.
he was buried in Dec 1974. I have the records.

any help would be great
thank you

I would say - contact the office for a map and ask if they can indicate the section where the grave is.
Gravestones should be marked with the grave number (often on the back of a headstone). To find an unmarked plot you need to find stones numbered as close as possible to your grave number then count spaces to locate approximately the grave you want.

Just found a map here

I would say - contact the office for a map and ask if they can indicate the section where the grave is.
Gravestones should be marked with the grave number (often on the back of a headstone). To find an unmarked plot you need to find stones numbered as close as possible to your grave number then count spaces to locate approximately the grave you want.
Thank you for this
The office is closed and I have emailed them and not heard anything. This is all new to us and just so confused.
Could you offer another other advise? I have the plot map …
But how do identify the plot ? It. Is it marked by numbers? Plus do you know how long graves are there? Simone said only 10-20 years? ? The burial was 1974

Thank you

As far as I know the grave will be there. I have traced unmarked graves older than the one you want - although I haven't searched at Handsworth.
Grave numbers go in order. So it might be 21272 then 21273 etc. Those with gravestones will have the number showing. You need to search for the nearest you can find to 21273. Then see which way along the row the numbers go.
Let's say you find 21270 and then a gap to the next stone marked 21275. This means the gap contains 4 unmarked graves. Divide the space into 4 and work out where 21273 would be.
The problem is that section 44 may be quite large so searching could take a while.

As far as I know the grave will be there. I have traced unmarked graves older than the one you want - although I haven't searched at Handsworth.
Grave numbers go in order. So it might be 21272 then 21273 etc. Those with gravestones will have the number showing. You need to search for the nearest you can find to 21273. Then see which way along the row the numbers go.
Let's say you find 21270 and then a gap to the next stone marked 21275. This means the gap contains 4 unmarked graves. Divide the space into 4 and work out where 21273 would be.
The problem is that section 44 may be quite large so searching could take a while.

You have been so helpful
So I’ll do that
I live in Nottinghamshire
So I wanted to find my brothers resting place .
Can I ask how would I know the unmarked spaces if you not what i mean. also can i ask what cem did you find umarked rest places? i really appreciate your help, its been very uselful

what i mean by umarked spaces - is when i identify where his resting place is - and in the example you gave - that there is gap of 4 number - would i then divide the space equally in 4 to identify the actually grave? also how can i identify where to locate the plot?

The map shows where section 44 is. Use the paths on the map to guide you. (There may be workers around who you can ask - mowing grass etc).
I have located unmarked graves at Yardley and Lodge Hill. All around the graves is grassed and the graves are in rows. The unmarked graves are spaces between the marked graves. As I said use the numbered stones to guide you.
It would be better if you could get a reply with an indication of where in the section the plot is. It isn't always easy to find the numbers on the stones to help.

Last edited:
Back