• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hands Green Lane

berniew

master brummie
Could anyone tell me if there was a sweetshop / tobaconist somewhere in the block of shops 328 Green Lane owned by the Hands family in the50s or 60s thanks a lot
Bernie

No 324 Green Lane, Taylor Leslie W. confectioner
No 330 Green Lane, Cooper. Mrs. C.M.
tobacconist
No 324 Green Lane, Freeman, C.A.. confectioner
No 330 Green Lane, Cooper. Mrs. C.M.tobacconist

From Electoral Roll
1950 at 324 Green Lane Saltley
Bert E Hands,Agnes J Hands (nee Whetton)
(moved to 91 Mansfield Rd by 1960)

1950 at 500 Green Lane Saltley
Leslie Hands,Maud E Hands,(nee Crockett)
1955 at 500 Green Lane Saltley
Leslie Hands,Maud Hands,Ronald Hands,Alan Hands
1960 at 500 Green Lane Saltley
Leslie Hands,Maud Hands,

hi ladylinda
i was just wondering whether or not could mr and mrs whetton be of the same people or of the same family that kept the sweet shop on lichfield rd aston inthe fortys and fiftys and up to about fifty five
as there was whetton sweet shop and selling penny lemonades and fizzy out of a little old fashiponion machine
i used to get my american gums and pinapple rock sweets from them ;
best wishes alan astonian;;

Alan I used to work with a Johnny Whetton in the sixties?. Sumlock Comptometer. He was engaged to Carol White. Jean.

Back