• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hand Family

Suze

master brummie
Hello, I think I may have lost this thread,so here goes again.
My grandmother,Evelyn Hand (married William Thursfield)had a niece named Janet Robertson.Apparently Janet had done a lot of work on the Hand family tree,then I learned she had died,before I could get in touch with her.She had children,but no knowledge of them.
I know not a lot more,except there was a relative called Jo Collins,who was a ballet dancer.He had an academy somewhere too but again,thats it for info.

Anybody have any more information please.....thanks Suze

Re: The Hand Family

Not much to go on. Do you know Evelyn's parents and when she was born? Was Robertson Janet's married name or maiden name? If you trace Evelyn's siblings you might find Janet and her children that way.

Evelyn Rose Hand born 1910 Aston died Evelyn Rose Thursfield 2006 married 1931.

1911, 10 Stockland road , Slade, Erdington

Rowland Hand, 25, b Aston, Rubber worker in rubber mills
Florry age 26 b. Cradley (nee Florence May Westwood m. 1906 aston)
Ivy 4
Violet 3
Evelyn 8 months

after 1911 cenus they had
Rowland 1913
Florence E 1915
Leonard 1917
David A 1920
Helana 1923
Clifford 1928

Ok, piggybacking on Alberta's info.

Ivy Rita Hand, birth registered Dec qtr 1906 Aston.

Ivy R Hand, marriage to Alfred H Darby registered Dec qtr 1927 Birmingham North.

Ivy Rita Darby, death registered 1983 Birmingham.

Janet J Darby, birth registered Dec qtr 1946 Birmingham, mother's maiden name Hand.

Janet J Darby, marriage to Bruce W Robertson registered Dec qtr 1964 Birmingham.

Janet Joan Robertson, death registered 2002 Birmingham.

Brilliant MWS, these family trees are just like doing a jigsaw aren't they?

Thanks, they are and putting the last piece in is just as satisfying.

Evelyn Rose Hand born 1910 Aston died Evelyn Rose Thursfield 2006 married 1931.

1911, 10 Stockland road , Slade, Erdington

Rowland Hand, 25, b Aston, Rubber worker in rubber mills
Florry age 26 b. Cradley (nee Florence May Westwood m. 1906 aston)
Ivy 4
Violet 3
Evelyn 8 months

after 1911 cenus they had
Rowland 1913
Florence E 1915
Leonard 1917
David A 1920
Helana 1923
Clifford 1928

Hello Alberta....thats marvellous !! Thank you....do I presume the first Rowland and Florence are the parents?....any info on them...or way I could find out please?

Thats wonderful MWS thank you....any other snippets would be really useful,as I am just going to start this side of the family and when I come up to Birmingham all bits will be useful
Suze

You and MWS are both brilliant ...thanks!...I don't have much to go on at all on this side of the family....don't know where Jo Collins fits in for example..so all and anything will be welcome

Suze

There's probably good bit you can do online. Rowland Hand seems a rare enough name that you should be able to trace him and according to his marriage his father's name was Rowland as well.

I suspect though that the birthplace of Florence May Westwood in 1911 might be questionable. There doesn't seem to be a Florence May Westwood born in Cradley about that year.

However there is a Florence May Westwood birth registered Sep qtr 1885 Walsall and in the 1891 census there is Florence M Westwood b1885 in Brownhills living in Lichfield, father John T Westwood (her father's name John Thomas Westwood on her marriage) and mother Elizabeth.

His birth is given as Cradley Heath and there's a brother Timothy b1881, birthplace given as Colegate, Staffs which is more than likely Colley Gate which is right by Cradley.

A John Thomas Westwood marriage to Elizabeth Goodall Mar qtr 1879 Dudley.

A little more digging might be necessary to make sure though.

As there is only one Florence May born around that time MWS is most certainly correct in finding Florence on census.

Rowland Hand b. 1886 in Birmingham
his father Rowland Hand born 1863 Birmingham

Rowland 1863 married in 1885 Birmingham to Emma Southern wrongly entered as Emily Southern also born Birmingham.

1901 Census Great Russell Street.

Rowland Hand age 35 Brass turner
Emma 36
Rowland 15 Brass filer
Rose 13
William 9
May age 5, Lily age 5 , twins registered 1896
Violet 2

Rowland born 1863 is the son of Paul William Hand and Ann Watkins who married 1858, Paul Wm is sometimes William on census entries

Last edited:
Paul William Hand( born 3rd august 1838 baptised St. thomas 25th november 1838)father William mother Matilda.
married Ann Waktins at All Saints on 30th May 1858

Matilda Hand was unmarried in 1838, she married William Stanton in 1842, whether he was the father ?
She baptised Paul with the name William for his father.

Matilda was born in Stourbridge the daughter of William and Elizabeth she and Paul are living with them in 1841
they are in Howard Street, Birmingham ST George
William, Elizabeth,Matilda and another daughter Elizabeth are not born in Warwickshire

On the 1851 census William is born inShrewsbury and wife Elizabeth in Mytton

Last edited:
so to my astonishment I sit viewing your string and realise you are talking about my family on my mothers side.

Ivy Darby was my grandmother and Alfred my grandfather ( my middle name after my grandad.

Ivy and Alfred children
Rita (my mother married Thomas Spiers)
Anne
Margaret
John
Janet

Rita and Tom children
Albert
Carole
Robert (me)
Graham ( twin brother to Robert )
Angela

I do remember mom talking of her aunts uncles and grandparents amazing.

regards
Rob

Hi,
I am doing research on Elizabeth Hands,who married Robert Roberts from Tenbury,They married 28 Nov 1833 Edgbaston,Had two children,Thomas born 1837 married Eliza Hartland,went to Australia.Emma who married Robert Britton a Die Caster,and went back and forth to Lima Peru.Not sure if she died in Birminham.Robert Britton worked at the Lima Mint.and became quite famous.
Any info would help.
Thank You....
Greg,

Suze, I am one of Janet Robertson’s 7 children.

I actually have an old photo of your grandmother, her siblings and her parents; I believe this would have been taken in or around 1920.

I believe your grandmother Evelyn is is top row on the right.

My Grandmother Ivy is top Row Middle.94DDCAE3-3B79-4211-B955-5EC057970270.jpeg

Suze, I am one of Janet Robertson’s 7 children.

I actually have an old photo of your grandmother, her siblings and her parents; I believe this would have been taken in or around 1920.

I believe your grandmother Evelyn is is top row on the right.

My Grandmother Ivy is top Row Middle.View attachment 121968

Hello Jason,
Delighted to see the photo,thank you. I see a family resemblance.
I was in touch with your Mum,but then sadly when she passed away,that was lost.
Do you still have all of her work ? If so I would love to perhaps meet up ?
Somewhere there is a facility to private message each other for details,if you are happy.

Kind regards Suze

Back