• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hancox

dawnlees60

knowlegable brummie
Last bit of help sorry don't want to a nuisance I would like to know if there is anything on the census for Irene Hancox nee Bennett she could of lived in Aston Church Road but she grew up at 53 Mount Street and was married in 1935 to Edward Henry Hancox thank you for any help

pjmburns

master brummie
She won't be on any published census unless she was born before 1911. I also think her marriage was in 1933 not 1935. I f I have the right person she was born in 1914 - Mother's maiden name Moorfield.

Last edited:

dawnlees60

knowlegable brummie
She won't be on any published census unless she was born before 1911. I also think her marriage was in 1933 not 1935. I f I have the right person she was born in 1914 - Mother's maiden name Moorfield.
It's possible I only knew grandmothers married name which Bennett thank you

bewdley

master brummie
She is still at 53 Mount Street in 1939 on the eve of ww2 register - it gives her dob as 26 April 1914. Her Bennett family are still there too.

Attachments

• irene hancox nee bennett  1939.jpg
    irene hancox nee bennett 1939.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

dawnlees60

knowlegable brummie
She is still at 53 Mount Street in 1939 on the eve of ww2 register - it gives her dob as 26 April 1914.
My father was born to her on the 21st September 1935 he was John Edward Hancox I notice my uncle Roy is also on the register but my dad

bewdley

master brummie
I deleted the first scan and have uploaded another which includes her Bennett family also. Where a name is blacked out that record is officially closed if the person was still alive at the time the register was released.

bewdley

master brummie
This could be a red herring, but I have found this entry in 1939 for Edward Henry Hancox living with his parents and possibly 2 children who are blacked out, one of which may be your father. The address is 222 Foden Road. He died in 1952 and his will reads:
Hancox, Edward Henry of 222 Foden Road Great Barr Birmingham died 4 February 1952 Probate Birmingham 24 April to Irene Kidner (wife of Arthur Alexander Kidner) and Ernest Hill rim cutter. Effects £2153 16s. 7d.

Then there is a marriage between Irene Hancox and Arthur A Kidner June quarter 1942 Birmingham.

Attachments

• edward henry hancox 1939.jpg
    edward henry hancox 1939.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 8

dawnlees60

knowlegable brummie
My nan was called Irene Hancox but once my dad was born Edward Henry Hancox disappeared she went on to have 4 children and married Frederick Davis in 1975 I just want to know what happened to my grandad Edward Henry Hancock and whether he ha more children or remarried thank you for helping me

Jonob

master brummie
According to free BMD Edward Henry Hancox b.9th June 1909 Died 1st quarter 1973. Sometimes it's better to buy copies of marriage and death certificates to get the facts, regards, J.

dawnlees60

knowlegable brummie
Was your grandfather's surname Hancox or Hancock? And do you know his parent's names?
Hancox I don't know anything of his family my mom says dad's mom said the family were from the Alum Rock area that's all I know we only found his name when we found my dad's birth certificate last year when he died

pjmburns

master brummie
I think if you want more info you might need to be prepared to buy some marriage or birth certificates.

pjmburns

master brummie
Good luck and do let us know how you get on. I did a search online to see if the marriage cert of Irene and Edward was online but I didn't find it.

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Edward Henry Hancox that died in 1952 was possibly the father of Edward 1909 as his age was 71 making his birth abt 1881.
If that was the case why would he not leave his money to his son who did not die until 1973.
The Ernest Hill must have been a relative of his wife.
Edward Henry Hancox m. Ellen hill 1905.

dawnlees60

knowlegable brummie
The Edward Henry Hancox that died in 1952 was possibly the father of Edward 1909 as his age was 71 making his birth abt 1881.
If that was the case why would he not leave his money to his son who did not die until 1973.
The Ernest Hill must have been a relative of his wife.
Edward Henry Hancox m. Ellen hill 1905.
The dates fit in and I would of thought my grandad would of lived to about that age my nan remarried in 1975 so I guess they were never divorced but she was with her 2nd husband from 1936 onwards and she 2 sons and 2 daughters by him I will try and get a marriage certificate for my nan Irene Hancox to see if I can find anything on there thank you

pjmburns

master brummie
Sorry if I am stating the obvious but I like to get things sorted in my mind. Edward Hancox married your Nan Irene in 1933 and your Dad was born in 1935. There were then 4 other children - do we have names? Possible births suggest John (1935) and Roy (1938). What was her second husband's name? Why is he not on the 1939 register? Are the children called Hancox or do they have a different name? In 1975 she married Frederick Davies - was he her third husband? The marriage cert of Irene and Arthur Kidner might provide info on whether she was divorced or not!
I wonder if the will in post #16 did not name Edward because his Dad did not approve of him disappearing from Irene's life?

Last edited:

dawnlees60

knowlegable brummie
Sorry if I am stating the obvious but I like to get things sorted in my mind. Edward Hancox married your Nan Irene in 1933 and your Dad was born in 1935. There were then 4 other children - do we have names? Possible births suggest John (1935) and Roy (1938). What was her second husband's name? Why is he not on the 1939 register? Are the children called Hancox or do they have a different name? In 1975 she married Frederick Davies - was he her third husband? The marriage cert of Irene and Arthur Kidner might provide info on whether she was divorced or not!
I wonder if the will in post #16 did not name Edward because his Dad did not approve of him disappearing from Irene's life?
Hi Irene didn't remarry until 1975 until she married Frederick Davis her four children had the surname Hancox she never gave them their rightful surname which was Davis this is why I think my nan and Edward were still married until he died and then she married Frederick Davis I was born in 1960 and never knew anything about Edward I obviously found out in my teen years that Frederick wasn't my grandad but it wasn't until my dad John Edward Hancox died that I found out the other children are Roy Judy Yvonne and Colin and they are dead now I hope gives you a bit of help thank you

dawnlees60

knowlegable brummie
Hi Irene didn't remarry until 1975 until she married Frederick Davis her four children had the surname Hancox she never gave them their rightful surname which was Davis this is why I think my nan and Edward were still married until he died and then she married Frederick Davis I was born in 1960 and never knew anything about Edward I obviously found out in my teen years that Frederick wasn't my grandad but it wasn't until my dad John Edward Hancox died that I found out the other children are Roy Judy Yvonne and Colin and they are dead now I hope gives you a bit of help thank you
Also Frederick Davis was born in India and didn't have a birth certificate and when married my nan he took her surname Hancox on the marriage certificate when Frederick died on 31st December 1981 the heads
stone Frederick Hancox strange I know the date year for Uncle could be right and I think Colin came along in the 50's as he was a little boy when I was born that's a bit more information